SCF: Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers (Series Tied 3-3) Hold onto your butts, Game 7, Monday 8/24 @ 8pm ET !

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
**Stanley Cup Final**
Florida Panthers vs Edmonton Oilers

IMG_6403.pngIMG_6404.png

IMG_6446.jpeg

Last edited:

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Point leaders in the last two rounds

McDavid: 13 points in 9 games. 10 EVP +2

Draisaitl: 4 points in 9 games. 2 EVP. - 2

Draisaitl disappeared when it got tough
Come to Boston .Bruins have room for Draisaitl .Oilers backend has killed them this series .Nurse making 9.5 million has been a pylon out there and not bringing the grit either

Reactions: BTO

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
What are you talking about? The Panthers are putting on a clinic and showing the world that "pond hockey" won't win you a cup.
Great, now why is a "pond hockey" team in the finals to begin with? The league could start by pretending to have the same rules regular season and playoffs. I don't care which rulebook, just pick one.

• Haha
Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's not wrong. Oilers have been the better team in 2 out of the 3 games. Oilers have outshot the Panthers 86 to 62 this series

As I said, sometimes the better team doesn't win the series. Luck factors into hockey more than any other sport. The sooner fans realize this the better.

The Oilers have been completely and utterly outclassed in this series. To say that they’ve been better because “they have more shots” is simply not watching the games.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Edmonton deserves to be here and that's why they play the games, but I think Dallas is a better team in a vacuum and likely ran out of gas after playing the last two champions. LA and Vancouver was a comparatively easier path, which is just how the chips fell this year.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
The post game interview with McDavid is so cringe... he looks like he's about to cry.

He's saving the tears for Saturday.

The Oilers have been completely and utterly outclassed in this series. To say that they’ve been better because “they have more shots” is simply not watching the games.

Reaching at its best.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Agreed. I'm no fan of the Oil, but that is unwatchable - pure torture for that poor bastard.
I do feel for McDavid. Holland is a terrorist of a GM. I'll give him the Hyman signing, but McDavid deserves a lot better depth and goaltending. Holland's entirely legacy is built on inheriting a team of hall of famers and then making minor tweaks. I've never seen evidence that he can assemble a well-constructed roster from the ground up.

Draisaitl can shove off though. Never cared for him, regardless of the Barkov hit. Spearing, nut shots, slewfoots-- he's this generation's Malkin. Not someone who runs around looking to injure, but loses his temper easily and never faces consequences for it. Contrast with McDavid who always plays with class, given the insane amount of abuse he receives out there.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I’ve never seen a team get luckier than the Oilers in this playoffs. First they get matched up against arguably the worst team in the playoffs with LA, then they face the Canucks who lost their starter for the entire series and then their best goal scorer for Game 7. Then Dallas plays without their #1C for the first 3 games and Tanev played Games 5 and 6 with one foot.

Now that they’re facing a healthy team for the first time this playoffs, they’re gettting exposed
Agree with this wholeheartedly. I think the overwhelming consensus was that LA was hardly a challenge. I don't think anyone, even the most ardent of Kings' fans, expected their team to prevail. That went as expected.

I expected a close series with Vancouver. Didn't think it would necessarily be a cakewalk. Edmonton has grown stronger throughout the season whereas Vancouver has hit some fairly flat moments. The fact that Vancouver wasn't able to maintain their lead was expected given the key injuries they had. Still, the Oilers needed seven games to dispatch them.

What surprised me the most was the Dallas series. I think the Dallas series should have been the best test the Oilers have had, of their three opponents up to that point. The Oilers played well in much of the series and prevailed.

Florida plays a much different game than the Oilers' previous opponents. Setting aside the tremendous goaltending display that Panthers have had in Bobrovsky, the Panthers have really played an holistic team game, with all their lines pitching in both the offensive and defensive zones. The Panthers have multi-pronged attack, with solid defense, and they don't rely on 1-3 key players to produce. What I have noticed (and I am an Oilers fan) is that Florida has done all the small things that ultimately previous champions are known for - the small wins in puck battles on the boards, intelligently anticipating passes, extending sticks to deflect what would be scoring chances, sacrificing their bodies to block shots and most of all, outhustling their opponent to steal pucks on both ends of the ice. Edmonton has not played a team like this so far in the playoffs and it shows. Meanwhile, Florida has had some stiff competition in the Rangers and Boston, both of which are top tier teams that play both a balanced game on both ends of the ice and have world class goaltending so far this season. Neither series went the distance, which told me how strong this Panthers team is.

The last team that came back from 3-0 in the SCF was the 1942 Leafs. I am not holding much hope that history will be repeated, given how overwhelming this Florida team has been these playoffs.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Shame Dallas fell apart and we didn't get to see them in the Final. Credit to Edmonton for getting this far, but their depth/defense is mostly underwhelming to outright bad at times, and we're not even getting to see McPowerPlay in this series, mostly McSpeedSkater. Divesaitl is clearly hurt, while RNH and Hyman aren't doing enough.

Luostarinen-Lundell-Tarasenko have been awesome. Never thought Lundell would get to Florida in the 2020 Draft, once Buffalo took Quinn (and Nashville took Askarov), set the events in motion for Lundell to become a Panther.

IB

Aug 20, 2009
Panthers were oppottunitistic and Barkov played great, but team game was a little bit sloppy especially getting puck out of the zone.

I think Florida will be a lot cleaner executing their entire team game. Oilers will need to bring their absolute best to have a chance.

Imagine a very good tight game that comes down to goaltending...

GPG!!

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Well this is obviously over. Which is fine, I guess. It’s a copycat league (pun intended) so hopefully teams will realize that you have to play, fast, hard, physical and unrelenting hockey to win the Cup. I mean that’s hardly news, and easier said than done of course, but hopefully teams will return to prioritizing that rather than skill, skill, skill all the time.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He's not wrong. Oilers have been the better team in 2 out of the 3 games. Oilers have outshot the Panthers 86 to 62 this series

As I said, sometimes the better team doesn't win the series. Luck factors into hockey more than any other sport. The sooner fans realize this the better.
Yet you the Oilers only have 3 more high danger chances than the Panthers this series.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I’ve never seen a team get luckier than the Oilers in this playoffs. First they get matched up against arguably the worst team in the playoffs with LA, then they face the Canucks who lost their starter for the entire series and then their best goal scorer for Game 7. Then Dallas plays without their #1C for the first 3 games and Tanev played Games 5 and 6 with one foot.

Now that they’re facing a healthy team for the first time this playoffs, they’re gettting exposed

Not surprising though. The Panthers are probably the best example on how to build a team right. Edmonton is still a one line affair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad