Proposal: Savard 50% retained to Oilers for '26 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
And they dubbed the 2024-2025 NHL season as the great David Savard Sell Job.

I can see the Oilers coming up with a 1st and someone like Sam O'Reilly for a right handed defenseman with term and even some retention though that may be asking a lot.

Artem Zub out of Ottawa just as an example.
Rasmus Anderson.. yah good luck. Calgary and Kyle Dubas are non trade partners for Edmonton.
Cam Fowler I'd prefer over Savard but value the above more.. haven't seen much of Cam lately.

Not that I wouldn't consider adding Savard, just not for a 1st.. and maybe not even a second depending on the market shapes out.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
1) there's 0 proof he had a substance problem. The issues were mental / health / depression / grieving related
2) No team wanted him for free is factually wrong. Waddell has already said publicly there were several teams ready to trade if Columbus ate half the salary and / or took back a contract

Well if the teams interested in Laine stated they wanted CBJ to eat 1/2 the salary or send a bad contract back, then that’s basically supporting the fact no one would want him for free at that cap hit.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I'm not even gonna question Savards worth being a 1st +. Habs fans on these boards always make the most outrageous valuations of their players at the deadline and somehow they are actually always f***ing right.
I know, it's crazy, right? Kent Hughes must have voodoo dolls of the other GMs :laugh:

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
The Habs seem to be wizards out of getting draft value in trades so I wouldn’t put it past the proposed deal from happening. I’d rather wait until the deadline though to see how Emberson performs and to see if Savard is healthy and playing well.
Seeing Knoblauch's past experience with Emerson as well as his advanced stats, I think he might surprise for you guys.

I also think it highly likely that Savard fetches a first at the deadline if he's healthy and doesn't have a decline this season.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
I’m not rooting on an injury like you. I’m saying his lazy and doesn’t care about defense or puck possession. He’s trash as a player. He is cooked. Mentally cooked.
Saving this post to quote it later when you get proven wrong.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
David Savard stopped being the best RD rental on the market about five years ago. He's a 2nd rounder as a rental now.

The force of wishful thinking from some Habs fans is incredible.

And they dubbed the 2024-2025 NHL season as the great David Savard Sell Job.

I can see the Oilers coming up with a 1st and someone like Sam O'Reilly for a right handed defenseman with term and even some retention though that may be asking a lot.

Artem Zub out of Ottawa just as an example.

That's the Ken Holland model we saw with the Ekholm trade, and yes that does make a lot more sense for the Oilers. Use futures to build a cap-wise core for the long term.

What's unfortunate is that they traded their '25 first to get the first to draft Sam O'Reilly - unless he takes an immediate big step he'll be worth less than the '25 first as a deadline trade chip.

Preds now with 3 x 2025 1sts so Oil will have to outbid them if they want Savard

:laugh:

We're in sad used car salesman territory.

Yeah I'm sure Barry Trotz is giving up a 1st for Savard.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
David Savard stopped being the best RD rental on the market about five years ago. He's a 2nd rounder as a rental now.

The force of wishful thinking from some Habs fans is incredible.

That's the Ken Holland model we saw with the Ekholm trade, and yes that does make a lot more sense for the Oilers. Use futures to build a cap-wise core for the long term.

What's unfortunate is that they traded their '25 first to get the first to draft Sam O'Reilly - unless he takes an immediate big step he'll be worth less than the '25 first as a deadline trade chip.

:laugh:

We're in sad used car salesman territory.

Yeah I'm sure Barry Trotz is giving up a 1st for Savard.
See Chiarot, Monahan, Kulak, Lekh

Funny how we were right on all of those TDL deal right? It'll be the same here. Savard will net a 1st or a prospect worth a 1st

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
See Chiarot, Monahan, Kulak, Lekh

Funny how we were right on all of those TDL deal right? It'll be the same here. Savard will net a 1st or a prospect worth a 1st

Which of those players were well into their thirties and seven years past their prime?

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
This is why people should stick to commenting on their own team, it's downright embarrassing when they step out of their own lane sometimes
It’s embarrassing that you actually think he’s still an impact player … he’s a middle of the road bottom pairing guy at this point on most competitive clubs . What does he currently do well ? Give up chances ? Truly fill me in oh wise one . And plz something different than “ he’s a warrior and mentor “ . I’m talking on ice contributions. If you’re looking for an all rosie outlook maybe stick to your team page . This is a discussion forum. Plenty of others have expressed their belief that he’s a very compromised asset , not sure why my post in particular rattled your cage .

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan Kelly

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'm not even gonna question Savards worth being a 1st +. Habs fans on these boards always make the most outrageous valuations of their players at the deadline and somehow they are actually always f***ing right.
I've been around hockey along while. Get a feel for it after awhile. Only thing trips me up is injury.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
It’s embarrassing that you actually think he’s still an impact player … he’s a middle of the road bottom pairing guy at this point on most competitive clubs . What does he currently do well ? Give up chances ? Truly fill me in oh wise one . And plz something different than “ he’s a warrior and mentor “ . I’m talking on ice contributions. If you’re looking for an all rosie outlook maybe stick to your team page . This is a discussion forum. Plenty of others have expressed their belief that he’s a very compromised asset , not sure why my post in particular rattled your cage .

Where did I say he's an impact player? There's a lot between being an impact player and being 'cooked'

It's embarrassing that this is the best you can do at baiting, do better.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Seeing Knoblauch's past experience with Emerson as well as his advanced stats, I think he might surprise for you guys.

I also think it highly likely that Savard fetches a first at the deadline if he's healthy and doesn't have a decline this season.
He’s already been in decline. All of his underlying numbers - except, weirdly, his offence - show a guy that’s simply not as good as he used to be.

I think on a contender he’s a #5 at best.

Reactions: PuckG and Dan Kelly

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Where did I say he's an impact player? There's a lot between being an impact player and being 'cooked'

It's embarrassing that this is the best you can do at baiting, do better.
So if he’s not near cooked what is he ? Effective ? It’s not 5 years ago . Guy is damn near a liability out there . But I guess he’s great just cause you say so ? I don’t think I’m the one w the embarrassing look here my guy. This is reality

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
So if he’s not near cooked what is he ? Effective ? It’s not 5 years ago . Guy is damn near a liability out there . But I guess he’s great just cause you say so ? I don’t think I’m the one w the embarrassing look here my guy. This is reality
No one is saying David Savard is a great player. Savard is a solid player who could help out any team, preferably on a third pair. Savard, even with retention, isn't getting a 1st-round pick at this time. I wouldn't predict Savard even returns a 1st at TDL, but you never know. He will get something back for Montreal (should they trade him) because he's not "cooked" and still has something to offer as a player.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Either now or at deadline. Oilers lost 3 D-men off their roster. Habs have extra D. Reinbacher likely make team at some point this season.

Veteran D like Savard who has a ring at 1.75 million. It's good deal for Edmonton
It would have to be the Oilers 2026 1st rounder because the 2025 one is gone ! Not sure the Oilers will do this with all the talk about PTO contracts for Barrie, Shattenkirk and Schultz. Why waste a 1st rounder on Savard when you might be able to sign one of these guys for nothing? :dunno:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
It would have to be the Oilers 2026 1st rounder because the 2025 one is gone ! Not sure the Oilers will do this with all the talk about PTO contracts for Barrie, Shattenkirk and Schultz. Why waste a 1st rounder on Savard when you might be able to sign one of these guys for nothing? :dunno:
Cause none of those 3 play defense well?

In a vacuum Savard isn’t worth a 1st, but it will be a sellers market for RHD at the TDL, low cap hit with retention, Cup ring, good PKr, clears the crease well, ideally a 3rd pairing D but can fill in Top 4, GMs won’t be able to stop themselves

Reactions: viceroy

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

In a vacuum Savard isn’t worth a 1st, but it will be a sellers market for RHD at the TDL, low cap hit with retention, Cup ring, good PKr, clears the crease well, ideally a 3rd pairing D but can fill in Top 4, GMs won’t be able to stop themselves
sure, when all the other available RD are already traded and off the market.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017

And Savard at this point in time is a defensive dynamo?? I doubt the Oilers are gonna make this trade with the PTO's their going to offer, plus there's been rumours here that the Oilers have enquired about Dante Fabbro from Nashville as he could be the odd man out there and he's better defensively than all of them, is a UFA after this year so may not cost the Oilers a ton to get, and is only making $2.5 mil for this coming season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad