Proposal: Savard 50% retained to Oilers for '26 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You guys overpaid for Laine. He's got more negative value than a 2nd round pick. $8.7MM x 2 is a lot of money on a busted player.

I think the trade should be the 2024 2nd + 3rd round picks (via St Louis) to rent Ceci back at 50% retained. If San Jose can't retain, the 3rd goes to a 3rd party team that can.

Now that would be a hilarious troll OP that's also probably very close to accurate on Ceci's value at the 2025 TDL.

Ceci to Oilers 50% retained for 2nd + 3rd round picks. That's less than y'all got for Chiarot and Tampa paid for Savard.

Ceci is arguably the best player of those three and certainly the one with the most recent playoff experience.

Oilers current defense
LHD - RHD

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Troy Stecher
Kulak - Emberson

Ceci fits right back in on Dpair 2. Savard does the same.
Or we severely underpaid for Laine when produces 40 goals and near PPG. It would be hilarious when we look back and realized Harris returned a superstar winger + 2nd round pick! LOL

Ceci meanwhile is a capdump as evidenced by the trade made by Bowman. They had to pay to dump him. Why? Because he's an overpaid bottom pairing dman. Bowman knew is and dumped him as soon as he could which was a very good move on his part. Its obvious Bowman knows the player better than your ridiculous take on Ceci.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I could see it happening

Savard is a good stay-at-home defensive defenseman and an absolute gamer, who is strong like an ox and clear the crease with ease
He's IMO a 2nd pair dman but would play ideally on a 3rd pair on a contender team, as well as on the PK

At half the price for a low 1st rond pick, I think it's fair

Reactions: Gustave

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
They may even want to consider extending Savard if the numbers and term work. I mean, say they do flip him for either a 1st or 2nd at the TDL should not really be in the race by then. Would everyone be experienced enough to only have Matheson as the true veteran around? Cause, the price to bring in a RHD is going to be expensive in either cap hit or term.

Never easy trying to integrate that many young D all over a couple of seasons. But, it's not at least until Feb before they should even consider it.
I doubt that. Savard getting up there.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You severely overpaid. Laine is cooked. He’s soft, defensively inept, low hockey IQ and effort and an addict. You’re taking a big swing. At least he’s just a two year mistake.
Overpaid? We got a 2nd for taking on Laine (a recent near PPG player) and gave up a guy no one wanted on the Habs D corps. LOL

Reactions: viceroy

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
This will be fun to re-quote when Laine is tearing it up with le rouge, blanc et blueu!

Let's go!!!
A few Columbus fans told me I was insane to say Laine was negative value a few weeks ago. Well…. They said my post would be a fun re-quote too. But they ain’t chirping now.

Laine is trash. Guy simply doesn’t have the desire, hockey IQ or 200 foot game to be making anything close to $8.7mm. He’s one of the most overpaid guys in the NHL. You’ll hate him by mid November when he’s coughing up pucks and putting in less than zero effort to get back and defend. A prima Donna player.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
A few Columbus fans told me I was insane to say Laine was negative value a few weeks ago. Well…. They said my post would be a fun re-quote too. But they ain’t chirping now.

Laine is trash. Guy simply doesn’t have the desire, hockey IQ or 200 foot game to be making anything close to $8.7mm. He’s one of the most overpaid guys in the NHL.
And you said Ceci was a bonafide 2nd pairing dman when he was dumped by the Oilers because he's an overpaid bottom pairing dman. You were so far off the mark.

But you mentioned the word cooked. And that reminded me of Landeskog. Is he still trying to play this season?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
And you said Ceci was a bonafide 2nd pairing dman when he was dumped by the Oilers because he's an overpaid bottom pairing dman. You were so far off the mark.

But you mentioned the word cooked. And that reminded me of Landeskog. Is he still trying to play this season?
I said loudly that Ceci should be put on waivers and he’d be claimed. I think he would have been.

Sharks will get at least a 2nd at the deadline for him.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You’re cheering on career ending injuries? That’s bad form.
Says the guy hoping that a 26 year old is in your words "cooked". Cooked is the very definition of Landy who's injuries have rendered himself a shell of himself.

Laine is ready for a fresh start in Montreal. Only 1 year removed for near PPG. Shoulder / clavicle is healed. Mentally healthy! Let's GO!!!

1724291155165.png

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Holy! This thread has gotten side tracked, If I were Bowman I would aim higher than Savard if trading the 1st. With any luck Larson will be available, I'd be more than willing to add to the 1st to get something meaningful

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Oilers can’t trade their 2026 first. It has a condition on it due to the Oilers trading into the first round of 2024, it’s either the 25 or 26 pick depending on if they want to give up the 25 pick after the season ends.

Besides, Bowman loves Connor Murphy. That’s who he’ll be going after to fill the right side second pairing D spot.

There is nothing preventing them from trading the 2026 1st other than it removes the protection and guarantees the Flyers get the pick no matter where it falls. I don’t find that to be much of a risk, as this team is a contender.

Now with that said, I fully expect the first to be on the table, but I’d hope we aim a little higher than Savard. Larsson would be my first target. Murphy has definitely crossed my mind, but would be more in the Savard range of appeal.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Says the guy hoping that a 26 year old is in your words "cooked". Cooked is the very definition of Landy who's injuries have rendered himself a shell of himself.

Laine is ready for a fresh start in Montreal. Only 1 year removed for near PPG. Shoulder / clavicle is healed. Mentally healthy! Let's GO!!!

View attachment 902489
I’m not rooting on an injury like you. I’m saying his lazy and doesn’t care about defense or puck possession. He’s trash as a player. He is cooked. Mentally cooked.

Last edited:

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I’m not saying he’s injured. I’m saying his lazy and doesn’t care about defense or puck possession. He’s trash as a player.
Laine was not in the right head space and he admitted that he was not happy to come to the rink. Its similar to the Drouin situation. The difference is that Laine has proven to be a superstar player when he's motivated. Now, with this trade, he is excited for the fresh start. His head is right. The time in the PA program helped.

A fresh start is all he was looking for. He got it. Habs players are all excited for him. Habs leadership is strong. He will deliver.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Laine was not in the right head space and he admitted that he was not happy to come to the rink. Its similar to the Drouin situation. The difference is that Laine has proven to be a superstar player when he's motivated. Now, with this trade, he is excited for the fresh start. His head is right. The time in the PA program helped.

A fresh start is all he was looking for. He got it. Habs players are all excited for him. Habs leadership is strong. He will deliver.
Lazy defensive player. Lazy with the puck. Hard to fix these short comings. He’s like the guy in beer league that only plays offense. You can’t win with guys like that.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Lazy defensive player. Lazy with the puck. Hard to fix these short comings. He’s like the guy in beer league that only plays offense. You can’t win with guys like that.
If he's lazy and scores 40 goals. I can live with that. its not like he's Nikushkin and hooked on blow and lets the team down and is their downfall.

This was a genius move by Monsieur Hughes! Brilliant GMing. Got Laine at his lowest value and the cherry on top was a 2nd round pick. lol

Last edited:

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Nah, he's near cooked. Like Landy. lol
He’s not very good but markedly more effective than this version of Savard . Have people not been watching Savard decline year after year . I honestly don’t think he’s been useful since he left Columbus ( yes I know he played a bit part in Tampas cup run ). But plz if someone can produce one of those fancy charts showing his effectiveness or lack theory il be happy to admit I’m wrong .

Reactions: Bluenotes27

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I wouldn't from the Oilers perspective. They don't need to get older and slower.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There is nothing preventing them from trading the 2026 1st other than it removes the protection and guarantees the Flyers get the pick no matter where it falls. I don’t find that to be much of a risk, as this team is a contender.

Now with that said, I fully expect the first to be on the table, but I’d hope we aim a little higher than Savard. Larsson would be my first target. Murphy has definitely crossed my mind, but would be more in the Savard range of appeal.
Larsson is the dream. But I don't see it happening. Dante Fabbro is the next dream. I don't see it happening either.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
You severely overpaid. Laine is cooked. He’s soft, defensively inept, low hockey IQ and effort and an addict. You’re taking a big swing. At least he’s just a two year mistake.
everything you said is wrong. You obviously did not see him play or look at his stats. Addicted to what?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You show me which team Laine has been on that’s been great.

And Laine may very well be hooked on the blow or some other substance.

Laine isn’t the kind of player that makes a team better. He scores goals and otherwise plays awful inattentive selfish hockey.
The only thing Laine is hooked on is scoring goals. The only documented case of substance abuse belongs to the Avs. Perhaps Drouin has other issues as well?. Guess we won’t know.

I understand your jealousy of Hughes after watching your gm do nothing this offseason other than accommodate a cooked Landy and bury his head in the sand with Nikushkin while leaving no capspace for improvements. Avs cup contending window has taken a huge hit. Oilers are the class of the west!

Reactions: Guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad