Proposal: Savard 50% retained to Oilers for '26 1st pick?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Laine should have cost a 1st + to dump. That’s a 2 year albatross contract y’all took on to your cap.

Agree Harris was a nothing berger. He’s an AHL level guy on most clubs.
Saving that. If Laine gets to 60-70pts this season you'll eat soooo much crow.

Habs do not care about cap space anyways for the next 2 years we have more rha enough. Hell we'll have even more come deadline when Dvorak Savard abd Armia are all dealt for good picks and / or prospects.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Habs do not care about cap space anyways for the next 2 years we have more rha enough. Hell we'll have even more come deadline when Dvorak Savard abd Armia are all dealt for good picks and / or prospects.
I don't understand the flack that the Habs are getting from some parties over bringing Laine in. They aren't expected to compete. Worst case scenario, he comes in and doesn't play well, and is gone in two years before the Habs really expect to push for the playoffs. Best case scenario, he plays well and re-signs with Montreal at a more reasonable rate, or gets traded for some picks and prospects. I don't expect the Habs to be a playoff team even if Laine does return to 40 goal, 70-ish point form, but he will help them push for it if he does play like he did earlier in his career. I just hope the media pressure of Montreal doesn't get to him if he struggles.

There is nothing preventing them from trading the 2026 1st other than it removes the protection and guarantees the Flyers get the pick no matter where it falls. I don’t find that to be much of a risk, as this team is a contender.

Now with that said, I fully expect the first to be on the table, but I’d hope we aim a little higher than Savard. Larsson would be my first target. Murphy has definitely crossed my mind, but would be more in the Savard range of appeal.
I think the biggest thing preventing the Oilers from moving the 2016 1st for Savard is Savard's value. :)

Reactions: Guess and spaghtti

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
At least you’re consistent. Your hockey analysis is non-sensical whether you’re talking about the Avs, the Oilers and/or the Canadiens.
I have a generally high opinion of the Habs GM. He’s good.

I told a few Columbus fans a few weeks ago that Laine was negative value and they all freaked out and said my analysis was non sensical.

Then when the trade to the Habs was announced, but people didn’t know the terms, everyone was guessing how much the Habs paid.

I was the non sensical poster that wondered how much Columbus sent to the Habs to accommodate such a bad contract as Laine’s. Turned out I was right and he’s negative value.

A second wasn’t enough.

Looks like no NHL team wanted him for free. But Habs took on a badly overpaid broken dude. I think they’ll regret this by February when he’s moping around on the ice giving the puck away and watching everyone skate the other ways much harder than him.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Not if Laine is a -36 and being healthy scratched a few times a month.

Offense isn’t the problem for this loser. Laine is a horrible 200 foot player. And offense only floaters don’t make good teammates.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You show me which team Laine has been on that’s been great.

And Laine may very well be hooked on the blow or some other substance.

Laine isn’t the kind of player that makes a team better. He scores goals and otherwise plays awful inattentive selfish hockey.
Show me an article or proof that Laine has been connected to substance abuse. Otherwise, its slander / defamation. Which on here you can be banned for. Care to retract?

Your complete lack of knowledge or hatred of the player / Habs has gotten the better of you.

Playing awful inattentive selfish hockey describes Drouin. And he had a bounce back year after getting help from the PA program and a fresh start. Exactly what Laine will do now that he is in a healthy environment. The difference is Laine is only 1 year separated from PPG season. Drouin never had that talent / ability.

Last edited:

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I would hate this... would rather see them try to use their first to get a player with term, similar to what Vancouver did a couple seasons ago with Hronek.
The point of rentals is often to have a better team than you could normally fit under the cap for a full season. After 50 games the team can add a #2 or #3 RD, send everyone down one notch on the totem pole for the playoffs, and doesn't have an ongoing salary commitment.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
You severely overpaid. Laine is cooked. He’s soft, defensively inept, low hockey IQ and effort and an addict. You’re taking a big swing. At least he’s just a two year mistake.
If you say so

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Oilers should be pursuing Justin Barron as a potential Broberg replacement. JB is a RHD and a year younger (than Broberg) and 1.15M caphit.

Can't see the Habs having room for Justin Barron with Mailloux and Reinbacher knocking on the door. Plus Justin is no longer waiver exempt.
This is my thinking as well. I think they’d be much more interested in Barron than Savard, depending on how this upcoming season goes for Barron. Savard is probably washed. Some team at the deadline may take a flyer on him for a 3rd, maybe a 2nd if the Habs retain. I don’t see a 1st coming back this time, as much as I’d like for it to happen.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I have a generally high opinion of the Habs GM. He’s good.

I told a few Columbus fans a few weeks ago that Laine was negative value and they all freaked out and said my analysis was non sensical.

Then when the trade to the Habs was announced, but people didn’t know the terms, everyone was guessing how much the Habs paid.

I was the non sensical poster that wondered how much Columbus sent to the Habs to accommodate such a bad contract as Laine’s. Turned out I was right and he’s negative value.

A second wasn’t enough.

Looks like no NHL team wanted him for free. But Habs took on a badly overpaid broken dude. I think they’ll regret this by February when he’s moping around on the ice giving the puck away and watching everyone skate the other ways much harder than him.
1) there's 0 proof he had a substance problem. The issues were mental / health / depression / grieving related
2) No team wanted him for free is factually wrong. Waddell has already said publicly there were several teams ready to trade if Columbus ate half the salary and / or took back a contract

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Savard isn't going anywhere until the deadline and Montreal won't be retaining any money on a playoff rental veteran RD.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
This reminds me of when this same Habs poster was shoving Edmundson down Oilers fans throats, Holland was patient and ended up trading for Ekholm in the end.

No reason for the Oilers to make a move before seeing how the trade market develops leading up to the trade deadline. Also, Savard will be 34 when the season starts, the bottom could fall out at any time for a player of his age and style, not to mention it looks like he’s made a habit of missing a quarter of the season the last several years so an injury could be a concern.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You show me which team Laine has been on that’s been great.

And Laine may very well be hooked on the blow or some other substance.

Laine isn’t the kind of player that makes a team better. He scores goals and otherwise plays awful inattentive selfish hockey.
You say a lot of dumb things that I generally ignore. That second sentence.. wtf man? That's an absurd thing to throw out there when there is zero indication of that whatsoever. Or are you willing to say that about every single person on earth too? Get out of here with that nonsense (and the rest of your nonsense).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This reminds me of when this same Habs poster was shoving Edmundson down Oilers fans throats, Holland was patient and ended up trading for Ekholm in the end.

No reason for the Oilers to make a move before seeing how the trade market develops leading up to the trade deadline. Also, Savard will be 34 when the season starts, the bottom could fall out at any time for a player of his age and style, not to mention it looks like he’s made a habit of missing a quarter of the season the last several years so an injury could be a concern.
Yeah, Savard is probably like, the 10th best option that could be out there this offseason. Some of those players above him won't end up available but some will, so we'll wait until we know if teams like Nashville, Seattle, Columbus, LA, and Buffalo end up falling out of the playoff run, and go for better defensemen from those teams. Hell, we could even re-visit Ceci or go for Jan Ruuta from San Jose when we have the cap space to do so. There are so many other, better options than Savard for our 2 RD that it would be silly to even consider trading right now.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
lol he got 30 pts once ; a decade ago . He’s now only a shell of his former defensive self. Which was where his true value lied ; the fact that you’re selling him as some offensive force makes it very difficult to take anything you say seriously . He’s not a good dman anymore . He plays an elevated role in a depleted d corp and doesn’t really handle it all that well .. not worth near a 1 st to me , maybe an incredibly desperate team that misses out on their prime target around the deadline circles back and improves their offer . Deadline deals can be silly sometimes ( see chariot) .
Clearly you don't follow the Habs or Savard at all, not that I can blame you. But this is simply not true.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
The point of rentals is often to have a better team than you could normally fit under the cap for a full season. After 50 games the team can add a #2 or #3 RD, send everyone down one notch on the totem pole for the playoffs, and doesn't have an ongoing salary commitment.

I understand the concept of a rental... I just don't want to use our only 1st round pick in the next two years on rental Savard. Considering we lost Broberg and Holloway and our group isn't getting younger, package picks to get a player better than what we have that has team control.

Hronek is a perfect example imo. He'd be better than we have and better than a Savard with team control. Finding a player like that though is easier said than done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad