Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] F Jakob Pelletier re-signs with the Flames (1 year, $800K, two-way)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I expected as much once Robertson's deal was done. Pelletier comes in below his previous AAV (863K) and what his qualifying offer (874K) would have been.

Time to show what you can do kid. Make the team and it could be onwards and upwards. Don't and you'll have a new address sooner than later.

Kielbasa

Mar 28, 2023
Perhaps something close to the current version of Brendan Gallagher, but without the physicality and with the energy and excitement Will Farrell had in the movie Elf?
Damn, I'm pretty low on Pelletier relative to the Flames fanbase, but that's harsh.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Damn, I'm pretty low on Pelletier relative to the Flames fanbase, but that's harsh.

Gallagher is still a decent middle 6 calibre forward and NHL calibre. Just not really worth his current cap hit. I still think Pelts will be a 3-5 million AAV middle 6 guy at his peak, but I don't think he has top 9 potential anymore. I also am assuming that some of the criticisms of Gallagher's demise are a little exaggerated.

I really like Pelts, but I am not optimistic on his path right now due to the development derailing due to injuries. Due to these roadblocks so far, he's not going to reach the original potential of a Gallagher/Marchand love child or a Marchessault lite.

I'll be elated if he succeeds in spite of these roadblocks though.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Gallagher is still a decent middle 6 calibre forward and NHL calibre. Just not really worth his current cap hit. I still think Pelts will be a 3-5 million AAV middle 6 guy at his peak, but I don't think he has top 9 potential anymore. I also am assuming that some of the criticisms of Gallagher's demise are a little exaggerated.

I really like Pelts, but I am not optimistic on his path right now due to the development derailing due to injuries. Due to these roadblocks so far, he's not going to reach the original potential of a Gallagher/Marchand love child or a Marchessault lite.

... Gallagher is tired after 30 seconds shifts nowadays and his tunnel vision has about the same diameter as a needle. He still his instincts and decent hands, especially in narrow spaces, and the compete is still there, but you don't want him on your top-9 under any circumstances if your plan is to win more than 30 games out of 82.

Reactions: Figgy44 and Levard

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
A lot of us Flames fans had high hopes for Pelts... as in a strong 2nd line fwd. I do believe those hopes have diminished significantly over the past year.

person5000

Oct 21, 2022
A lot of us Flames fans had high hopes for Pelts... as in a strong 2nd line fwd. I do believe those hopes have diminished significantly over the past year.
Nothing has changed in last 365 days. Guy got hurt and had shoulder surgery. Why would his ceiling decrease all the sudden?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Very low cap hit. I assumed he'd sign for almost double that. Well done Flames.

I'm confused. You say he's a middle 6 guy at his peak (implying 4-9), but then go on to say you don't think he has top 9 potential.

Reactions: andora and DJN21

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Nothing has changed in last 365 days. Guy got hurt and had shoulder surgery. Why would his ceiling decrease all the sudden?
Because of his lackluster performance in the games played last season after he returned. He played 13 games for the Flames from Feb 8 to Mar 14 and for most he was basically a nothing burger. He wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire either in his 14 AHL games from Mar 19 to Apr 20. Very disappointing performances from a 1st rnd selection that people believed could be a solid 2nd line wing on the Flames.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He was looking like a middle six energy guy but he has had a rough ride with injuries. Likely a make or break season for him with the Flames.
Imo he’s one of the many guys who need to play a certain way to be an NHLer but physically his body can’t handle that style so injuries happen. If he tries to play any other way he’s not in the league. Lots and lots of guys in the same boat.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014

I'm confused. You say he's a middle 6 guy at his peak (implying 4-9), but then go on to say you don't think he has top 9 potential.

I'm saying it was always middle 6 and he could occasionally chip in on the top line. Now I'm saying the hopes for occasionally jumping on the top line are gone. That's why it's middle 6, not top 9.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think he’s vastly underrated by some of our fan base.

He is the kind of player who just makes smart plays all over the ice. He may never be a great PP guy but 5 on 5 he will be a very good player, if he stays healthy.

The takes about him are so common amongst our fans. “The guy isn’t an elite NHLer at 22 so he’s obviously a bust.”Tired.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I think he’s vastly underrated by some of our fan base.

He is the kind of player who just makes smart plays all over the ice. He may never be a great PP guy but 5 on 5 he will be a very good player, if he stays healthy.

The takes about him are so common amongst our fans. “The guy isn’t an elite NHLer at 22 so he’s obviously a bust.”Tired.
He is in the same boat as Pospisil and I am not sure they have the durability for a long career. I think the people who are saying he is a bust are the same people who thought he was a lock for a top 6 role when he has really always a middle six guy.

Reactions: Figgy44

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Came here to post this...? Youre mid line forward i.e 2nd or 3rd or youre a 4th liner...

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Imo he’s one of the many guys who need to play a certain way to be an NHLer but physically his body can’t handle that style so injuries happen. If he tries to play any other way he’s not in the league. Lots and lots of guys in the same boat.
It wasn’t his style of play that forced a suicide pass into Trouba…

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
He was injured last year so this is it for him. He needs to show what he is and this contract proves it. Make or break. I’d like to see him on a line with Zary and Coronato because I think he compliments them well. But if he doesn’t show up I think he gets waived. I was not a fan of this pick at all but hope to see him work out with the Flames. Flames have so much depth in the system now so it’s not a huge loss if he’s gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad