Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
A very odd game .... Literally the exact opposite game from Saginaw. Cant complain about a W tho.

mkraayen

Mar 7, 2011
That was one of the more strange but entertaining hockey games I have been to. Flint first four shots were all goals. There were a combined 5 goals in the first 3 minutes.....and 7 goals within the first 7 minutes of the game. Goalies pulled. Goalie ejected. End-to-end, wide open hockey, goals galore! We even had a goal review - that I thought looked like it may crossed the line (when puck was on edge) - called no goal. Sproveiro high-sticked in the face and bleeding - goes to the room for repairs...comes back with a fishbowl on, only to later get high sticked in the neck/throat area leaving an alarmingly large stain of blood on the ice! He comes back and plays like a champ. Hugo extends his goal-scoring streak to 10 consecutive games. Penalty kill scored twice to push our league-leading short-handed goal tally to 12. Our centermen absolutely owned the faceoff circle. Every forward had at least one point except for (surprisingly) Josling & Rees - good to see all lines contribute. We had a ton of scoring opportunites, that could have saw us score double-digit goals. Give Flint credit, they gave up a lot of chances but kept playing and had chances of their own to cut into out 7-5 lead. That game was not enjoyable if you were the coach....but as a fan, it was wildly entertaining!

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Hogue does. Great job on the poweplay good job by the coaches getting him on the 2nd pp unit, he will be great on the Pp next year, langevin looked solid in net, and I agree Eliot is an absolute stud on defenceman, should get a big return for him! Rees looked good for first game back, needs acouple more games to get into a rhythm and develop chemistry with players again
tbh, not quite sure we see the same level of skill in Hogue. He gets beat the puck in the corners... and passing is not great. He lacks size, not his fault of course, but small men should be quicker to the puck. He makes many defensive lapses. That aside, when are we going to get a goalie. IF we ship off Eliot and we will, what happens on the backend. We're having enough difficult with him, what would we do without a stable force on d? Last night was sh@tshow but an entertaining one that gave a fan a taste of a lot of firsts...

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
tbh, not quite sure we see the same level of skill in Hogue. He gets beat the puck in the corners... and passing is not great. He lacks size, not his fault of course, but small men should be quicker to the puck. He makes many defensive lapses. That aside, when are we going to get a goalie. IF we ship off Eliot and we will, what happens on the backend. We're having enough difficult with him, what would we do without a stable force on d? Last night was sh@tshow but an entertaining one that gave a fan a taste of a lot of firsts...
I never said I liked Hogue as a defenceman or like his defensive game, I said he quarter backs the power play well... and well he does... and yes ship Eliot to Niagara for Incze a 2nd,3rd and a 5th

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Anybody other than me think that might have been the last straw for Hughes? I can’t imagine Hatcher putting up with this much longer.

Reactions: Stingland

mkraayen

Mar 7, 2011
I don’t recall seeing him. One time in the 3rd I noticed Rees double shifting on the 4th line.
They dressed 11F and 7D last night. Rees doubled as the 4th line center for most of the night, from what I saw.
Hogue played D all game but I didn't see him in the 3rd.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Perreault looked really bad last night. Extremely slow, horrible stick handling, took tons of plays off. Looked like the 2016-2017 Kyrou and that's not a good thing. I hope we can just chalk it up to 2 games in 2 nights. Rees also looked pretty invisible last night as well. I will take that with a grain of salt since he's just coming back from injury. The 2 players that impressed me the most were Reesor and Martin. When Reesor get's the puck he's extremely hard to bump off it and made some pretty solid plays last night and several booming hits. I wish they would give him more ice time because he will be our best defense in a couple of years. Martin looked extremely fast with high level stick handling as well as his skating ability and cuts were next level. Numerous times I saw him make the Flint players look foolish and completely lost. Martin's talent is exactly what this team needs and I've seen first hand a few times this season his play making abilities spark this team. I hope he stays and finishes his career in Sarnia.

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Perreault looked really bad last night. Extremely slow, horrible stick handling, took tons of plays off. Looked like the 2016-2017 Kyrou and that's not a good thing. I hope we can just chalk it up to 2 games in 2 nights. Rees also looked pretty invisible last night as well. I will take that with a grain of salt since he's just coming back from injury. The 2 players that impressed me the most were Reesor and Martin. When Reesor get's the puck he's extremely hard to bump off it and made some pretty solid plays last night and several booming hits. I wish they would give him more ice time because he will be our best defense in a couple of years. Martin looked extremely fast with high level stick handling as well as his skating ability and cuts were next level. Numerous times I saw him make the Flint players look foolish and completely lost. Martin's talent is exactly what this team needs and I've seen first hand a few times this season his play making abilities spark this team. I hope he stays and finishes his career in Sarnia.

We must have watched 2 different games. Rees looked pretty good last night considering second game back from injury. Carried the play numerous times.This kid is the real thing.Perreault showed some awesome flashes last night also.Thumbs up for Martin. Reesor is going to be a good one also. Hogue just isnt impressing me at all.Not sure what the Sting is seeing in him.Too small and doesnt have the speed to make up for it.Really gets pushed around out there.

Reactions: The Howler

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
I was sitting in one of the ends. Watching hockey behind the net you see a lot more compared to watching left and right. You see every little thing when you're sitting in the ends. Including most importantly play development. Typical Sting front office. They weren't thinking at all when they picked Hogue in the 2nd round. Just more proof how inept the front office is.
We must have watched 2 different games. Rees looked pretty good last night considering second game back from injury. Carried the play numerous times.This kid is the real thing.Perreault showed some awesome flashes last night also.Thumbs up for Martin. Reesor is going to be a good one also. Hogue just isnt impressing me at all.Not sure what the Sting is seeing in him.Too small and doesnt have the speed to make up for it.Really gets pushed around out there.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
I was sitting in one of the ends. Watching hockey behind the net you see a lot more compared to watching left and right. You see every little thing when you're sitting in the ends. Including most importantly play development. Typical Sting front office. They weren't thinking at all when they picked Hogue in the 2nd round. Just more proof how inept the front office is.
You must have been at the zamboni end because what I saw at the other end was more like massey’s version

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
somebody must have been watching on their computer . Nothing wrong with Rees effort, having to play on same line as Ruzicka > Man he 's still getting the timing back. As for Perreault , a rookie , I don't think many people can be disappointed at the play or the effort when you compare it to Ruzicka ( the team baseline). Just skate hard vs the Knights see what happens, they'll give up some goals

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Anybody other than me think that might have been the last straw for Hughes? I can’t imagine Hatcher putting up with this much longer.

You can't play this way if you want to continue in the playoffs after the first round.Not sure if there's a team that would take Hughes in a trade.If you're going to play run & gun you won't last long.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
You can't play this way if you want to continue in the playoffs after the first round.Not sure if there's a team that would take Hughes in a trade.If you're going to play run & gun you won't last long.
Langevin stopped 23 of 25 in his almost 57 minutes. That’s good enough to compete in most games. We will see if, by the end of the season, he has seen enough of the opponents to steal a game or two. Hughes needs to be released, and replaced by anyone they can latch on to for a 4th or 5th round pick at best.
Bottom line is that this team is not finished selling; they’re trying to develop Langevin for the 2020 season; they should make the playoffs but no guarantee; if they finish 5 or 6 seed and play very well in March, they may get to second round, but that’s all they’re going to do at best...
So go ahead and run & gun.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Sting are missing the following picks
2019-3rd,4th
2020-2nd,3rd
2021-2nd
2022-3rd
2023-2nd
2024-3rd
2025-2nd

I could see Nick Sinclair get back those 2019 & 2020 picks at the trade deadline.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Watched at the end of the arena where the Sting Store is. Nowhere in any of my posts did I mention Ruzicka. Forget about watching two different games you're imagining things that were never posted by me. I also was speaking on one game not entire season.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Winnable game for the sting..... Rees misses, London comes back and scores. Rees needs to bury that. At a certain point Rees needs to start producing points .... Solid goaltending from Sarnia for once.

Reactions: Maddangler

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Ruzicka will play for Slovakia for sure, Hugo is a maybe for Sweden, definitely a good player but he doesn’t get much attention for the international tournaments

Reactions: nelli27

mkraayen

Mar 7, 2011
Sting are missing the following picks
2019-3rd,4th
2020-2nd,3rd
2021-2nd
2022-3rd
2023-2nd
2024-3rd
2025-2nd

I could see Nick Sinclair get back those 2019 & 2020 picks at the trade deadline.
2019 4th was conditional in the Pezzetta deal.
2024 3rd and 2025 2nd were conditional in the Dineen deal.
We might have retained some, or all of these picks, depending on the conditions.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
I'm so done with Hughes. There is no hope.

Despite 5 GA in the 6-3 loss to London, Langevin was a beast. So many of those shots were high quality chances for London. The game was a hell of a lot closer then the score. If Rees would have buried that one on the turnover to tie it then who knows.

Hatcher absolutely destroyed Formenton..oh my...massive hit. I think Hatcher has 3 fights under his belt already so that's why he didn't drop the gloves when challenged. He doesn't back down from anyone. That London player can consider himself lucky because Hatcher has man handled every player whose challenged him this year. Glad Formenton is ok though, will be a big part of team Canada at the World Jr's.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017

Despite 5 GA in the 6-3 loss to London, Langevin was a beast. So many of those shots were high quality chances for London. The game was a hell of a lot closer then the score. If Rees would have buried that one on the turnover to tie it then who knows.

Hatcher absolutely destroyed Formenton..oh my...massive hit. I think Hatcher has 3 fights under his belt already so that's why he didn't drop the gloves when challenged. He doesn't back down from anyone. That London player can consider himself lucky because Hatcher has man handled every player whose challenged him this year. Glad Formenton is ok though, will be a big part of team Canada at the World Jr's.
I think Hatcher was “instigated upon” in at least 2 of those fights, which , I believe, don’t count against the allowable three. He hammers an opponent and the victim’s teammate starts the fight.
The number of quality chances that a really good team like London had just reinforces the fact that we have a 2nd or 3rd tier team (and not able to beat London or Ottawa over a 7 game series). Keep selling and build towards a great team for 2020...

Maddangler

Nov 25, 2018

Sorry but F**K Formenton, that should've been a match penalty for the two handed slash on the back of Langevins knee. Total intent to injure that was hard enough to snap his stick. Disgusting the homer refs let that go with 2 minutes. As for Hatch, I'm loving his game this year. He's smart enough to let the other team initiate and it usually ends quite badly for anyone stupid enough to drop the mitts with him. I was very impressed with the grit the lads showed yesterday. They hung right there with a loaded London team for the most part. Ferda called it, that did not play anything like a 6-3 game. Can't say I'm a believer in using an extra forward on the pp though as it burned us again yesterday. It just leads to too many defensive breakdowns against skilled and fast teams like London. Also, where was Egert and Kammer?

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Not sure the Formenton slash was intentional to be honest. Watching the replay it looked liked he was going for Langevin's stick which had the puck on it....he just missed is all.. Still a slash and the right call was made.

Reactions: aresknights
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad