Post-Game Talk: Same Old... 3-0 Wild

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
They were making ok progress under Renney.

Then the Oilers decided to hire two rookie coaches back to back.

This front office brain trust makes so many mistakes with player management/development/trades it wouldn't exactly be shocking that we could flub two coaching hires in a row. It's pretty much par for the course here.

Learn on the job. That's pretty much the mantra of this organization, from the GM to the coaches to the players.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Renney also did not have Yakupov or Justin Schultz or a more mature Taylor Hall. He coached a considerably worse roster.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
I think MacT has done a decent job even if the team is ****ing horrible. Keep in mind who his predecessor was and he actually managed to leave MORE garbage than HIS predecessor.

That said something has to give with this team. And I'm not talking about another coach canning. I mean a complete meltdown.

This coach is going to be fired after he nukes next season (so about 20 games in). I'm less certain about what happens after that. None the problems can even be identified until Eakins is fired IMO.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
Howson brought in 90% of the reason why the Blue Jackets are semi-successful right now.

Horton is basically the only player on the team that wasn't a Howson move.

that jacket team was the only reason this team didn't 3peat 30th place.

and that team was on course for another last place finish UNTIL he got fired now whether that actually any baring on how they played is hard to prove however it is interesting that the direction of that team changed considerably once he left.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
They were making ok progress under Renney.

Then the Oilers decided to hire two rookie coaches back to back.

This front office brain trust makes so many mistakes with player management/development/trades it wouldn't exactly be shocking that we could flub two coaching hires in a row. It's pretty much par for the course here.

It wasn't an unforgivable mistake until they hired the second coach

Kreuger wasn't great by any stretch as a rookie coach, but Eakins is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Any competently managed team that had the ability to divorce their ego from their decision making processes would have fired Eakins by December.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
This coach is going to be fired after he nukes next season (so about 20 games in). I'm less certain about what happens after that. None the problems can even be identified until Eakins is fired IMO.

I'm not really confident YET ANOTHER coach is going to fix the problems on this team. They look much the same as they did under Krueger and Renney.

They still can't figure out how to break out of their own zone.

They still can't figure out what a back check is.

They still can't figure out what a fore check is.

They still can't figure out what a body check is.

I get that hockey is a complex game, but is it really that hard when at least 25 other teams have it figured out?

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

I believe Stauffer has said that they are going to hire an experienced HC to be an associate coach (or whatever title they use) to help Eakins learn his job.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I believe Stauffer has said that they are going to hire an experienced HC to be an associate coach (or whatever title they use) to help Eakins learn his job.

Great. We're only trying to develop like 10 young players at once. Might as well throw a young coach that ***** the bed into the mix too.

"Hi Dallas, I'm the veteran coach who's here to repla ... I mean here to help you figure out how to coach."

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008

Well, the last time they went to hire an associate coach, they fired the incumbent and replaced him with their desired candidate. Honestly, I wouldn't put it past this organization to do it again.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Great. We're only trying to develop like 10 young players at once. Might as well throw a young coach that ***** the bed into the mix too.

"Hi Dallas, I'm the veteran coach who's here to repla ... I mean here to help you figure out how to coach."

I believe the plan was to do that before this season with Paul Maurice. It was a surprise when Eakins hired Acton instead.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Seriously though, what is better. Subway or McDonalds. I don't mean from a healthy perspective. Taste alone do people prefer subway or dons?

Hockey game? LOL checked out of that after the 2nd

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I hope we clean house completely this off season. New coaching staff and anywhere from 10-14 new players in the starting lineup. This team has no heart what so ever.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think I've wanted Eakins gone since about the 25 game mark. I just don't see what this guy adds to this team... and obviously these assistants don't have anything positive to add either by the way the team performs without the goalies stealing the games.

Yes MacT/Lowe/Eakins/Stauffer and anyone else who says this team is improving/progressing/evolving is out and out delusional and/or BOLD liars.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I think I've wanted Eakins gone since about the 25 game mark. I just don't see what this guy adds to this team... and obviously these assistants don't have anything positive to add either by the way the team performs without the goalies stealing the games.

Yes MacT/Lowe/Eakins/Stauffer and anyone else who says this team is improving/progressing/evolving is out and out delusional and/or BOLD liars.

I see what you did there :sarcasm:. But yeah agree with everything said. Especially about Eakins

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton

They picked the wrong guy for this strategy. RK is the perfect guy to give a strong X's and O's type to help out. RK was all about finding out what made his players tick and fostering a culture or team identity. Eakins is all about fitness and belief in his system. These players are not buying into his system for whatever reason. Eakins solution to this problem was 1) abandon it and then 2) call it something else and try it again. It has already failed, next season we'll witness this failure.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

The frustrating one of the bunch is the name you left off your list... Katz. At least those other people have good reasons to lie; Katz is just being ignorant.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Great composure and great puck support.

Two things you will never hear at an Oilers game, unless we're talking about the opposition.

McShiva

5-14-6-1
Aug 27, 2010
Didn't watch this but not surprised in the slightest, seen it every time after a break, even if it's only 3 days between games, let alone 2 weeks.

This is on the players, pure and simple. They have no clue about mental preparation, and in fact switch off completely it seems. You can even see it in their warm up before the game, they just skate around and take a couple shots, but there's no set routine like the top teams have (like St Louis, watch their warmup sometimes)

Even the super kids don't seem to care right after a break. If you start with a complete lack of effort in the warmup, then how can expect anything but the results we have been seeing (for years)

Personally, if I was the coach, I would have my practices include a set warm up routine that the players can us before the game starts.

How horrible is this team when they don't even know how to get ready for the game, let alone play it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad