News Article: Sam Rosen To Retire After Next Season

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Get Brian Burke from the Islanders broadcast somehow. He's on MSGN so it shouldn't be difficult to re-assign him. I'm so jealous of them having Burke and Hogan...

EDIT: Brendan Burke duh

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It seems to me the last season or two Sam has been running out of steam. I think it takes a bit more energy than some people think. I'm kind of thinking Kenny Albert who is very good. His dad Marv Albert IMO was the Rangers best play by play guy ever. Not a fan of Howie Rose. I never cared at all for Jim Gordon who came before Sam.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Screenshot_20240814_064429_Gmail.jpg

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Some of my recent favorites:

“Rasmus Asplund. Rasmus Dahlin. Rasmus Ristolainen. Three Rasmuses.”

“David Quinn talked about reducing his ice time. He hasn’t had any reduced ice time.”

“Here’s Kakko. Excuse me, that’s Kravtsov. No, it is Kakko.”

Sam: “He has 6 career shutouts.”
Joe: “That’s a career high!”

“Vincent Vatrano!!”

“Yeah you study it! You read that tablet!”

Sam: “And no call on the play!!!!!”
Joe: “You’re kidding me”
Sam: “NO CALL!!!!!”

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I always liked Sam as a non biased play by play , it won’t be the same . I still remember Oh look at Vukota oh that jerk!

Well Jeff Bloomberg in the final seconds of a game. Found the biggest pushover. Sam for a long while was on an anti-fighting campaign and it was pretty senseless when pretty much every team had at least two/three heavies along with a bunch of other guys who would go at the drop of a hat. It took JD a while but he finally got Sam to a degree of rationality on that issue. Darren Langdon wasn't going to be an NHL player because of his hockey skills but neither were a lot of other players around the league including Vukota, Colton Orr, Boogaard, Parros, Boulton, Twist, Grimson, John Scott, McGrattan etc. etc. etc. etc.---just no way.

I've watched a couple videos of Vukota. He's got some funny stories and he's good at telling them.

Reactions: will1066

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
Would be fine if it was Kenny but wonder if we could get Bob Wischusen.
Bob Wischusen was my first thought as well. He's already well-known in NY sports media (he's the radio voice for the Jets). I enjoy Bob's PBP on ESPN (he should be the #1 instead of McDonough there), and think he would be a great replacement. If not him, then I agree with other posters--Brendan Burke or Howie Rose would both be great choices. I think Kenny Albert has too many other duties to take the NYR role full-time, being the #1 PBP guy for TNT, but he would also make sense.

Sam is a legend, and I hope the Rangers do him right with a proper ceremony/celebration for him throughout the season. They really need to borrow JD from Columbus to bring him back in the booth with Sam for a few games, for old time's sake!

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Bob Wischusen was my first thought as well. He's already well-known in NY sports media (he's the radio voice for the Jets). I enjoy Bob's PBP on ESPN (he should be the #1 instead of McDonough there), and think he would be a great replacement. If not him, then I agree with other posters--Brendan Burke or Howie Rose would both be great choices. I think Kenny Albert has too many other duties to take the NYR role full-time, being the #1 PBP guy for TNT, but he would also make sense.

Sam is a legend, and I hope the Rangers do him right with a proper ceremony/celebration for him throughout the season. They really need to borrow JD from Columbus to bring him back in the booth with Sam for a few games, for old time's sake!

This all depends on Kenny Albert. What does he want? Does he want to continue to do what he's currently doing? Rangers radio, NFL on FOX, NHL on TNT, Knicks TV fill-in. If he's offered the opportunity to take over for Sam, is it contingent on him giving up any of his other commitments? The Knicks would be the easiest one to give up. We don't know what the negotiations will be like. We don't know if he even wants to follow Sam. There is plenty of time for all that to play out.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Wish I could find the clip of him calling Yandle "Ekman-Yandle" when he was paired with OEL in Arizona. All time favorite for me
Another low-key favorite of mine is when he had an absolute stroke while the Rangers were in the middle of a scoring chance, and then we got robbed.

He goes: “Here's Kreid...no, that's....uhh...And a rat…uh…OOOOOHHHHH WHAAT A SAVE BY REIMER!”

The save snapped him out of whatever void he was falling through.

Reactions: will1066

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I’m only 37 so he’s been there as a mainstay my entire life when watching hockey.

Of course, I can get used to new announcers. But like when Doc retired from doing national broadcasts, the sheer excitement those older guys had for the game will be missed.

Sam has had several all-time calls over the years.

To paraphrase him: His greatness will last a lifetime.

I’m happy for him.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I’m only 37 so he’s been there as a mainstay my entire life when watching hockey.

Of course, I can get used to new announcers. But like when Doc retired from doing national broadcasts, the sheer excitement those older guys had for the game will be missed.

Sam has had several all-time calls over the years.

To paraphrase him: His greatness will last a lifetime.

I’m happy for him.
The playoffs haven't felt the same since Doc is gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad