News Article: Sam Rosen To Retire After Next Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Have always appreciate Sam and whatnot. But Really appreciated Sam and yes even Joe after having to listen to McDonough and Ferraro for the playoffs. I literally muted my TV and just played some music in the background. lol

We don’t know how good we have it as Rangers fans.

I’m all for Kenny Albert taking over if that’s the case.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
1723585058423.png

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Need a strong, engaging voice and tone to really get you in the game. Neither Albert nor (especially) Gianone do that for me. I might just switch to ESPN plus whenever possible once Sam is gone if either of those gets the job.

Reactions: mas0764

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
I'm surprised Andy Strickland didn't break this. Bastard had the JD leaving the booth news before anyone.

Anyway, Kenny Albert is not the right choice. One of the most boring calls in the league. I know I'm in the minority there
It would be a very safe choice

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is obviously a bit sad. Not being able to listen to Sam be an absolute goober is going to drop my enjoyment of the games significantly.

At the same time, he's 77, I appreciate the career he's had, and I'm glad he got to go out when he wanted to.

Sam, to me, is a Mount Rushmore type of figure in Rangers history. Leetch, Messier, Cook, Gilbert, Lundqvist, Rosen. Those are some of the names to be considered.

He should be in the rafters in some way. I think they should just retire 94. It's a weirdo ass number anyway. "This one will last a lifetime" and what have you.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Congrats to Sam Rosen on his long run as the NYR TV PxP announcer. To be honest, I've never had a strong opinion either way with him as an announcer, but he is beloved (as I'm seeing here). Growing up in Canada, I haven't heard him as much as most of the people on this message board. Here's hoping the Rangers can finally end the current Cup drought right before he rides off into the sunset!

I don't have a strong opinion as to who should replace him (as long as he's not a homer/Jack Edwards type). Kenny Albert seems to be the logical choice, but he's not young either and has many other broadcasting commitments. Maybe someone young and up and coming; I can't think of anyone off hand.

Sam retiring makes another longtime New York sports PxP announcer announcing his retirement, as John Sterling (who, BTW; as a NY Yankees fan, I was never a fan of his work as NYY radio guy, though many Yankees fans love him) stepped away a few months ago. A definite changing of the guard in the NY sports announcing booths.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
NOOOOOO

Sam has been the soundtrack to my fandom, I was hoping we'd have a few more years of him. He might mess up names sometimes but to me he's unmatched with his classic voice, his sense of timing and pace of his calls. He's a legend and to me he still has it. I guess it's good for him to go out on his own terms.

Kenny would be a logical replacement but I hope they look elsewhere. I've never been a big fan of Kenny, he's good on the radio because he can talk a mile a minute but I've never been crazy about him calling TV games even on TNT. He's kind of always just been pretty bland and nondescript to me.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Howie would be a great fill in when Kenny is calling 500 other things during the season.

Howie spends his winters in Florida and has already cut back significantly on his Mets schedule (basically does no road games unless they're local.) As nice as it would be, I don't think that's realistic at this point.

Kenny is the logical fill in but to me, he'd have to sacrifice some of his schedule if he wants the job. It'd be weird to have someone be the main play by play guy but miss anywhere from a quarter to half the games due to football, Knicks, NHL national games, etc. After Kenny, I wonder about Alex Faust and even Brendan Burke (similar to how Micheletti jumped from Isles to Rangers) as replacements.

As for Sam, he's the only voice I've known as a Rangers fan. He absolutely 100% deserves a banner in the rafters and I'm glad he's going out on his own terms. One of the GOAT's in Rangers history.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Howie spends his winters in Florida and has already cut back significantly on his Mets schedule (basically does no road games unless they're local.) As nice as it would be, I don't think that's realistic at this point.

Kenny is the logical fill in but to me, he'd have to sacrifice some of his schedule if he wants the job. It'd be weird to have someone be the main play by play guy but miss anywhere from a quarter to half the games due to football, Knicks, NHL national games, etc. After Kenny, I wonder about Alex Faust and even Brendan Burke (similar to how Micheletti jumped from Isles to Rangers) as replacements.

As for Sam, he's the only voice I've known as a Rangers fan. He absolutely 100% deserves a banner in the rafters and I'm glad he's going out on his own terms. One of the GOAT's in Rangers history.

I'm sure Kenny drops the Knicks if he gets the Rangers TV job. As for the NHL national or NFL games I doubt he will give either of those up. The Rangers should work around those commitments.

Last edited:

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Lots of people said that when I was older than most players I'd feel old.

Hockey has never made me feel old until today. Crazy that Sam's calls will be a thing of the past next summer. Glad he's calling his own farewell tour. Along with you psychos, Sam's been there rooting for this ridiculous franchise with me all my life. Really hoped id see him call a championship, but that's NYC baby.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I wonder, if they do have Kenny take over the role, if Kenny will step back from his other obligations (ie he does sports PxP all year round pretty much every day). I imagine that's a huge consideration.

Now announce Joe retiring too.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
This is obviously a bit sad. Not being able to listen to Sam be an absolute goober is going to drop my enjoyment of the games significantly.

At the same time, he's 77, I appreciate the career he's had, and I'm glad he got to go out when he wanted to.

Sam, to me, is a Mount Rushmore type of figure in Rangers history. Leetch, Messier, Cook, Gilbert, Lundqvist, Rosen. Those are some of the names to be considered.

He should be in the rafters in some way. I think they should just retire 94. It's a weirdo ass number anyway. "This one will last a lifetime" and what have you.
77 is exactly why. Calling games is not only stepping into the booth and doing it, it's prep, it's production meetings, travel, living on the road every few weeks. Very few people can do it much less keep it up at that age. He also doesn't want to miss out on his family anymore.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I wonder, if they do have Kenny take over the role, if Kenny will step back from his other obligations (ie he does sports PxP all year round pretty much every day). I imagine that's a huge consideration.

Now announce Joe retiring too.

If Joe retires or for any reason doesn't return I don't think we'll see Dave Maloney take his place. I think with his age they'll keep him on the radio and go for another former player. Ryan Callahan comes to mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad