News Article: Sam Rosen To Retire After Next Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Before yesterday's announcement, I thought we arrived at that point in the summer when I craved to hear Sam's voice. I've been here for the entirety of Sam's tenure so it is hard to remember anyone else. I thought Jim Gordan was fine. Before that, it seemed we had a revolving door of announcers: Tim Ryan? Win Elliot. I remember some point in the 60s when our main play-by-play announcer had a long-term illness so they brought in an announcer from Canada (Norm Jarry?) for a few months. I think he went on to become mayor of his town. Of course, Marv Albert on the radio.

I've never actually been much of a fan of Kenny Albert, something about his voice bothers me, but I wonder how different (and better) he would be when he could openly root for the Rangers. Fine with Wischusen. Burke is interesting. I would think the job is his (Albert) if he wants it and he should have "first dibs."

I think it's tricky. What makes a good announcer in NY is different than elsewhere. You have to sound like you are from NY, not some generic non-regional style that they teach in communications classes. You have to be a fan of the team but still give credit to opposing players. It's a fine line. The best two announcers in NY are Sam and Gary Cohen: both native New Yorkers, both fans of their respective teams, but also bringing some impartiality to the position.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The playoffs haven't felt the same since Doc is gone.

One of these days we will have voice capture AI call games. Wouldn't mind using Doc for some of them for sure. Feels like sacrilege but I'm no luddite either.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
One of these days we will have voice capture AI call games. Wouldn't mind using Doc for some of them for sure. Feels like sacrilege but I'm no luddite either.
NBC had AI Michaels doing Olympic recaps this year

Reactions: Fitzy

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I don’t see Kenny giving up the NFL or National NHL, he gets to call the cup final for TNT every other season, no way in hell you give that up.

While he’s the number 4 play by play guy for NFL on Fox, that still gets you a game every week.

He should give up the Knicks if he gets the Rangers tv job though.

Reactions: will1066

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
For over 50 years, we have had Jim Gordon and Sam....both legends. Each with great enthusiasm for both the sport and the Rangers.

Of course its Kenny's job if he wants it. But keep that job away....FAR AWAY.....from Giannone. Bob Page would be a better choice than Giannone's ear pollution.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
NOOOOOO

Sam has been the soundtrack to my fandom, I was hoping we'd have a few more years of him. He might mess up names sometimes but to me he's unmatched with his classic voice, his sense of timing and pace of his calls. He's a legend and to me he still has it. I guess it's good for him to go out on his own terms.

Kenny would be a logical replacement but I hope they look elsewhere. I've never been a big fan of Kenny, he's good on the radio because he can talk a mile a minute but I've never been crazy about him calling TV games even on TNT. He's kind of always just been pretty bland and nondescript to me.
I like Kenny enough but he does kinda sound like he's giving PBP while having a colonoscopy.

This is gonna suck. Sam had a way of having that excitable voice in the big moments without it sounding shrill. He is/was comfort food for most fans and now who is gonna consume all the pizza?!?!

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
This is obviously a bit sad. Not being able to listen to Sam be an absolute goober is going to drop my enjoyment of the games significantly.

At the same time, he's 77, I appreciate the career he's had, and I'm glad he got to go out when he wanted to.

Sam, to me, is a Mount Rushmore type of figure in Rangers history. Leetch, Messier, Cook, Gilbert, Lundqvist, Rosen. Those are some of the names to be considered.

He should be in the rafters in some way. I think they should just retire 94. It's a weirdo ass number anyway. "This one will last a lifetime" and what have you.
Or #40 for the 40 years on the call.

only 14 players have won 40 in the history of the club, and the last one we want to forget

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Well Jeff Bloomberg in the final seconds of a game. Found the biggest pushover. Sam for a long while was on an anti-fighting campaign and it was pretty senseless when pretty much every team had at least two/three heavies along with a bunch of other guys who would go at the drop of a hat. It took JD a while but he finally got Sam to a degree of rationality on that issue. Darren Langdon wasn't going to be an NHL player because of his hockey skills but neither were a lot of other players around the league including Vukota, Colton Orr, Boogaard, Parros, Boulton, Twist, Grimson, John Scott, McGrattan etc. etc. etc. etc.---just no way.

I've watched a couple videos of Vukota. He's got some funny stories and he's good at telling them.
One of my friends during my childhood worshipped Vukota lol

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Bring back Pierre McGuire !!
Pierre's random factoids are unmatched.

"Joey Bananas is having a great game tonight. He's the great grandson of his grandfather's father who played for the Siberian Snow Leopards, where he met Joey's great grandmother, who was raised by a pack of wolves until she was 10. Great hockey genes"

"Good info, thanks Pierre"

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Side note: I can't believe this moment is already 6 years old wtf

To me, this is the #1 Sam moment. Completely serious.

If you asked me for a Sam Rosen call, I don't know if a call really encapsulates it, even though he's had some great ones.

Lots of pro announcers can make good calls.

What stands out to me are the times he gets sassy with the ref, when Chris Kreider scored his 300th goal and Sam went on about what an outstanding career he's had, when he's just being silly, and when he's just being a genuinely sweet old man who loves the Rangers.

He's an amazing guy and unintentionally hilarious.

I'm sure whoever comes in will do a fine job with whatever variation of "he shoots he scores," but what I'm gonna miss is exchanges like this:

Sam: "Artemi Panarin; just having another outstanding year, Joe."
Joe: "I'm pretty sure he's gonna find you with a pass."
Sam: "I'm open!!"

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
No words. I dreaded when this day would come.

He is the voice, the ONLY voice I will ever know for Rangers hockey since I watched my first game back in 1990.

Please win the cup for him!!!

Reactions: Loff

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
I have loved his voice, emotion and passion since the first time I ever heard him back in 2007. Something about him really stood out. He has always had a knack of bringing you in with the action and the roller coaster ride of emotions it brings without being fake or going over the top.

Gonna sound strange, but Sam has always been that young distant grandfather for every NYR fan I feel. It will be tough and bizarre to not hear that great voice ever again.

We have been spoiled.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
To me, this is the #1 Sam moment. Completely serious.

If you asked me for a Sam Rosen call, I don't know if a call really encapsulates it, even though he's had some great ones.

Lots of pro announcers can make good calls.

What stands out to me are the times he gets sassy with the ref, when Chris Kreider scored his 300th goal and Sam went on about what an outstanding career he's had, when he's just being silly, and when he's just being a genuinely sweet old man who loves the Rangers.

He's an amazing guy and unintentionally hilarious.

I'm sure whoever comes in will do a fine job with whatever variation of "he shoots he scores," but what I'm gonna miss is exchanges like this:

Sam: "Artemi Panarin; just having another outstanding year, Joe."
Joe: "I'm pretty sure he's gonna find you with a pass."
Sam: "I'm open!!"

This. Always loved the Sam/JD games because of the back and forth bantering and they both had their euphemisms.

Those games always felt like you were sitting in a room with the two of them having a beer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad