News Article: Sam Rosen To Retire After Next Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I never fell for Joe. Maybe because I grew up with JD. Joe’s color is basic. His big analysis is identifying the exact moment in the replay when a thing happens, or commenting that a player’s release is quick.
Lol he’s dialed back on the ‘what a release Sam!’ in recent years, though he still often does the ‘right………THERE!’ to the replay shtick

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Dave Maloney would be great on TV. His radio analysis is very insightful and he is very willing to call out the Rangers when it is justified. We could be looking at Kenny and Don moving over as a team with Alex Faust as the backup. I listened to Faust regularly when he was in LA and he would be a good backup.

Last edited:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
No thanks. I think they will offer it to Hank first anyway.
Big fan
Hank and Valley are great as pre and post game analysts. Can you really see Lundqvist who is very much involved in the greater NYC community and a socialite doing this 82 times a year and going to Alberta an BC on a three game road trip in the middle of the winter?
Very true
Don Maloney would be great on TV. His radio analysis is very insightful and he is very willing to call out the Rangers when it is justified. We could be looking at Kenny and Don moving over as a team with Alex Faust as the backup. I listened to Faust regularly when he was in LA and he would be a good backup.
Also good

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Don Maloney would be great on TV. His radio analysis is very insightful and he is very willing to call out the Rangers when it is justified. We could be looking at Kenny and Don moving over as a team with Alex Faust as the backup. I listened to Faust regularly when he was in LA and he would be a good backup.
I think you mean Dave. I'd be very happy with that choice.

Alex Faust on the other hand is awful...not a fan of his constant yelling.

NYRfan85

D'oh!
Jun 2, 2020
South Carolina
Sean McDonough is a hard no.
Agreed, I'd MUCH rather take Bob Wischusen away from ESPN. He does the Jets radio broadcasts and is well known in the NYC market. Honestly, he would be my choice for the job.

I think it's Kenny Albert's job if he wants it and is able to. Howie Rose could also reunite with Joe Micheletti, then we'd have the former Islanders booth haha.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Joe's very positive. At first it was weird without JD but I got used to Joe pretty quickly.

If Joe decides to go, I can see Ryan Callahan as a logical replacement if his wife is ok with moving to Westchester or Connecticut.

Callahan has the worst voice ever.

He’s a very good color guy though even with his light resume. His duo was the best crew during the playoffs.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No thanks. I think they will offer it to Hank first anyway.
Hank is not taking on an entire schedule and traveling all over, he does about 20% of the games with Valley in the studio and that’s probably his limit.

Cally would be a good replacement. He’s still very new at broadcasting but he’ll be doing it for the next two decades and made some good progress this season.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
Agreed, I'd MUCH rather take Bob Wischusen away from ESPN. He does the Jets radio broadcasts and is well known in the NYC market. Honestly, he would be my choice for the job.

I think it's Kenny Albert's job if he wants it and is able to. Howie Rose could also reunite with Joe Micheletti, then we'd have the former Islanders booth haha.
This

I thought Wischusen was great when he filled in for Sean McDonough. Speaking of which, I'm a big NO on McDonough. Nothing personal but he might be my least favorite announcer of all-time. He's just flat and unenthusiastic.

Edit: Kenny Albert is okay and would be the safe choice but I think Wischusen is better.

Reactions: NYRfan85

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
A bit behind here lol but Sam is going to be missed, what a legend. Hopefully the Rangers can send him out on a high note instead of disappointment like usual.

Alex Faust should be his replacement, I think he’s one of the best announcers out there and I don’t believe he’s under contract with another team. Plus he’s a New York guy and pretty sure he was a Ranger fan growing up. Not that it means everything but it’s a nice touch.

Reactions: romba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad