Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
He has a chance to play a prototypical 4th line type role, but I would think/hope he spends another year (or most of it) in Cleveland. CBJ have 2-3 openings in the forward group depending on whether they carry 13 or 14 forwards. He's in that 12-14 range in my opinion, but there are a lot of options for those spots as well.
12-14 should be veteran journeyman players on this team and not young prospects who should be playing in Cleveland every night.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
There are some decent(ish?) FAs still available - Labanc, Okposo, Hoffman, Pacioretty. Not sure any of them want to come here to play, at most, 3rd line minutes in what will likely be a lost season.

Absent lines, I'd imagine the following guys would be in the top 9: Monahan, Jenner, Fantilli, Marchenko, Voronkov, Sillinger, Johnson, Chinakhov. That, to me, leaves one top 9 spot - maybe a Dumais or Brindley surprises or a FA, or Danforth in a pinch with Malatesta on the 4th line with Kuraly and Olivier.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
12-14 should be veteran journeyman players on this team and not young prospects who should be playing in Cleveland every night.

I don't think Malatesta needs to be playing every night or playing in Cleveland. Like @stevo61 said, he's mostly what he is going to be. And I don't think he has the type of delicate skillset that needs a lot of puck touches or easy competition to get up to speed.

For me he is in that same category as Olivier and Danforth, just probably not quite as good yet and he has the added benefit that he can be assigned to Cleveland so we can add more depth on above him.

There are some decent(ish?) FAs still available - Labanc, Okposo, Hoffman, Pacioretty. Not sure any of them want to come here to play, at most, 3rd line minutes in what will likely be a lost season.

The only decent-ish FA I can see is Okposo. Labanc, Hoffman, and Pacioretty have not been decent in a while.

Okposo has the added benefit of being a recent captain. He's a leader and we need more of that.

Absent lines, I'd imagine the following guys would be in the top 9: Monahan, Jenner, Fantilli, Marchenko, Voronkov, Sillinger, Johnson, Chinakhov. That, to me, leaves one top 9 spot - maybe a Dumais or Brindley surprises or a FA, or Danforth in a pinch with Malatesta on the 4th line with Kuraly and Olivier.

I wouldn't be that surprised if Brindley stole a top 9 job (Dumais would be a shocker). Danforth might also be good at it, depending on which version of him shows up. He was great in the first half last year before falling off.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Canucks also have Tucker Poolman who is on LTIR and could be had along with a 4th rounder or something. Last year at $2.5M.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
Don’t know if this is legal but why not renegotiate Elvis’ contract, adding $2.5 million this year and reducing the cap hit for the next two years?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If he's 12, he's playing every night. If he's not, he's the first man in and it wouldn't hurt him to play and watch... I don't think he's the type of player that "Seasoning" is going to turn him into a top 6 player and think he'd do just fine in the bottom 6 if that's what happens. I don't suspect it will, but he's a candidate for sure.

Don’t know if this is legal but why not renegotiate Elvis’ contract, adding $2.5 million this year and reducing the cap hit for the next two years?
Can't renogotiate contracts in the NHL. Once they have them...they have them. Only a buyout, trade, retention or if he did something to break the rules could it be cancelled. WE're stuck with it for at least another year.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
If he's 12, he's playing every night. If he's not, he's the first man in and it wouldn't hurt him to play and watch... I don't think he's the type of player that "Seasoning" is going to turn him into a top 6 player and think he'd do just fine in the bottom 6 if that's what happens. I don't suspect it will, but he's a candidate for sure.

Can't renogotiate contracts in the NHL. Once they have them...they have them. Only a buyout, trade, retention or if he did something to break the rules could it be cancelled. WE're stuck with it for at least another year.
Didn’t know that
Thank you

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
And I don't think he has the type of delicate skillset that needs a lot of puck touches or easy competition to get up to speed.

For me he is in that same category as Olivier and Danforth, just probably not quite as good yet and he has the added benefit that he can be assigned to Cleveland so we can add more depth on above him.
I don't think he's the type of player that "Seasoning" is going to turn him into a top 6 player and think he'd do just fine in the bottom 6 if that's what happens.
I don't think there's a hidden top-6 talent in there either, I just want him to max out his potential as a bottom-6 wing. If there is a chance to get a better version of Danforth/Kuraly/Olivier with more seasoning we shouldn't ruin our chances by rushing him. I want my 4th line guys to be reliable at zone exits and transitions, and be able to keep cycle game going for a longer while on offense.

I'd imagine that learning to scan the ice better and work on the timing of his passes is easier in the AHL. Of course, he could be the type of player who will (or will not) eventually get the hang of those things regardless of where he plays, but I'm not so sure about that yet.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think there's a hidden top-6 talent in there either, I just want him to max out his potential as a bottom-6 wing. If there is a chance to get a better version of Danforth/Kuraly/Olivier with more seasoning we shouldn't ruin our chances by rushing him. I want my 4th line guys to be reliable at zone exits and transitions, and be able to keep cycle game going for a longer while on offense.

I'd imagine that learning to scan the ice better and work on the timing of his passes is easier in the AHL. Of course, he could be the type of player who will (or will not) eventually get the hang of those things regardless of where he plays, but I'm not so sure about that yet.
I'm in agreement with you. I do think he is one of the younger players that, for me, I have fewer concerns with if he were to make the NHL team. I don't think he'll disappoint, but I also don't think he's going to make us think we have something more either. I like him as a player and depth piece and think he can be a NHL player but would prefer he spend another year in Cleveland (also be in a winning culture). We'll see...strange times these are....

Reactions: tunnelvision

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I cannot help but think Brindley would have benefitted a lot from playing in Cleveland's playoff run last season (like Werenski did way back when). Probably would have helped him come training camp. I suspect it was to burn a year off his ELC but I think we all would have love to see him join the run like Mateychuk did (and he could have been there for game one of the post-season).

Reactions: VT and CBJx614

puckgoalnet

Feb 23, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I cannot help but think Brindley would have benefitted a lot from playing in Cleveland's playoff run last season (like Werenski did way back when). Probably would have helped him come training camp. I suspect it was to burn a year off his ELC but I think we all would have love to see him join the run like Mateychuk did (and he could have been there for game one of the post-season).
I agree. Big fan of the kid, he definitely matured and got better both years he was at Michigan.

Would've loved to see him in some AHL action. More speed, better/more consistent overall talent, more physical and what I think is often overlooked ... playing against much more mature players who may not ever make it to the NHL but know how to play the game and the little tricks/styles that frustrate younger players.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

I agree. Big fan of the kid, he definitely matured and got better both years he was at Michigan.

Would've loved to see him in some AHL action. More speed, better/more consistent overall talent, more physical and what I think is often overlooked ... playing against much more mature players who may not ever make it to the NHL but know how to play the game and the little tricks/styles that frustrate younger players.

I may be misremembering, but I believe he wasn't added to the rosters in time to be eligible to be able to play in the playoffs.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I may be misremembering, but I believe he wasn't added to the rosters in time to be eligible to be able to play in the playoffs.
I don't think it was time related but the fact they chose to assign him to Columbus and not directly to Cleveland and when his contract kicked in. Assigning to columbus burned a year and was past the roster deadline. They could have signed his ELC to begin this season and then signed a PTO for Cleveland like Werenski did when he came out.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
But Mateychuk was? Brindley's college season ended April 11th and Mateychuk's season ended May 28th. Unless it has to do with Mateychuk signing his ELC in 2022 while Brindley could not sign his ELC until after his college season was done this year. But that still makes no sense since Z was able to jump from college to the AHL when his college season ended March 26th (the TDL was Feb 29th so I am sure he signed his ELC after the AHL post-season roster had to be set).

No, I am guessing it was Brindley's wish to burn a year off his ELC but that seems short-sighted compared to what he could have gained by playing in the Monsters post-season run. I suspect Z doesn't regret his decision back in 2016 to play in the AHL playoffs.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
No, I am guessing it was Brindley's wish to burn a year off his ELC but that seems short-sighted compared to what he could have gained by playing in the Monsters post-season run.

what he would have gained by signing an ATO:
  1. experience in a few AHL playoff games
  2. zero dollars

compared to what he gained by signing his ELC:
  1. $95k signing bonus
  2. experience in one NHL game
  3. NHL salary prorated for that game (about $14k)
  4. ability to reach RFA status a year sooner
it's easy to call that decision short-sighted on a message board, but if you were offered $108k + the chance to earn big contract a year sooner i bet you'd be making the same choice he did.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
what he would have gained by signing an ATO:
  1. experience in a few AHL playoff games
  2. zero dollars

compared to what he gained by signing his ELC:
  1. $95k signing bonus
  2. experience in one NHL game
  3. NHL salary prorated for that game (about $14k)
  4. ability to reach RFA status a year sooner
it's easy to call that decision short-sighted on a message board, but if you were offered $108k + the chance to earn big contract a year sooner i bet you'd be making the same choice he did.
I get it, but as a fan looking at the long term benefit to the team and his own development I wish he had gone to the AHL.

1) I think you are under-valuing the benefit of a deep AHL playoff run. I suspect Z would be the right person to ask about this rather than a bunch of us on a fan forum.

2) Sometimes reaching RFA status earlier isn't better. He has two years now to prove his value on his next contract and he might not have hit his stride yet so contract #2 is suppressed where taking the experience of a deep playoff run and then hitting RFA in three years might increase his value on the next contract.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I get it, but as a fan looking at the long term benefit to the team and his own development I wish he had gone to the AHL.

1) I think you are under-valuing the benefit of a deep AHL playoff run. I suspect Z would be the right person to ask about this rather than a bunch of us on a fan forum.

2) Sometimes reaching RFA status earlier isn't better. He has two years now to prove his value on his next contract and he might not have hit his stride yet so contract #2 is suppressed where taking the experience of a deep playoff run and then hitting RFA in three years might increase his value on the next contract.

It's become the expectation for top college players now that they get NHL games in the Spring of their final college year, so much so that McGroarty and Gauthier demanded trades when they weren't given what they want. It's unfortunately just part of the deal with college players now. Personally, it's not something I think much about because the expectation is so locked in.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
this worst-case scenario is mitigated by simply taking the QO after his ELC expires, which would then be a pseudo-third year.

the immediate upshot is a $100k payday in what we'll call "Year Zero" + potentially millions more in Year Three, plus the intrinsic value of getting to call himself an NHL player by virtue of having played an NHL game.

you also brought up the theoretical value of playing AHL playoff games, but that comes with assumed risk of playing more games without getting paid (ATO) and potential injuries that may happen as a result.

there is no scenario where a player faced with those two options should choose the ATO. and while the ATO may be the preferred option for the team, the upshot isn't worth the risk of messing up the relationship with an unsigned player (see: mcgroarty and gauthier)

both sides of the equation get higher expected value + lower risk. it's a win-win. there's zero reason to complain about it from either standpoint.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Or, putting on my tin foil hat, the team doesn’t want the guy who was arrested for driving drunk this year to be around the team or have his presence lead to uncomfortable questions from the media.
or maybe he's another kid who put up great numbers in Junior but just isn't built for wear and tear of an NHL game.

I'm not sure anyone even remotely thinks he should be making this roster this year even if he was healthy and didn't make a young mistake, which I hope he learned from. Not just at the time but in light of recent events too.

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Phil Kessel is calling teams, saying he's available...any interest?

Edit: nevermind, apparently he's completely washed now. If we bring in an old vet, I'd like to get a 2nd or something at the TDL for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad