Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Something I just thought of, does anyone have an idea how the deadline cap and floor work?
Believe the cap floor and ceiling remain in affect as normal. Only when the playoffs start does the floor and ceiling go away. Hense the VGK/TB/CHI cap manipulation to be over the cap in the playoffs

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
Believe the cap floor and ceiling remain in affect as normal. Only when the playoffs start does the floor and ceiling go away. Hense the VGK/TB/CHI cap manipulation to be over the cap in the playoffs
That's what I thought. The team now would have the issue if no cap exception is given of being cap compliant at the deadline. They have four potential rental pieces that teams may want as bodies for the playoffs and their contract total almost 10 million, meaning they would need to be almost 5 million over that cap floor around the deadline because most likely the players would be traded with 50% retention. That's if all 4 go which you have to plan for.

Reactions: kevistar

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's what I thought. The team now would have the issue if no cap exception is given of being cap compliant at the deadline. They have four potential rental pieces that teams may want as bodies for the playoffs and their contract total almost 10 million, meaning they would need to be almost 5 million over that cap floor around the deadline because most likely the players would be traded with 50% retention. That's if all 4 go which you have to plan for.

At the deadline it's not going to be any trouble finding clubs who are desperately trying to offload salary. Deadline trades are typically cap neutral anyways.

Reactions: CBJx614

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not sure why folks are throwing out the idea of acquiring guys on LTIR. If they are scheduled to come off early in the season and could help I understand. But to get guys to just fill up a spot and cost 1-2 mill out of pocket, I don't get at all. I'd rather spend the $ to sign JVR or another guy who could actually contribute a bit onm ice.

Reactions: Viqsi and Xoggz22

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
You can only retain on three contracts at a time. When Laine was shipped out without retaining I thought it was because in their short term (two year) plan of needing those spots for players we're likely to ship out, or as a broker for other teams (maybe try to get a 2nd back)

CannonFire1

Jun 22, 2023
I've seen a few names floated...Armia, Iafallo, etc. He's certainly overpaid now (which is moot given the circumstances), but how would people feel about trying to bring back Nick Foligno?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I've seen a few names floated...Armia, Iafallo, etc. He's certainly overpaid now (which is moot given the circumstances), but how would people feel about trying to bring back Nick Foligno?
I do not think Montreal would trade Armies now. Dvorak probably yes, but not Armia.

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
I'd like to know why Nick Robertson wants out of Toronto so badly.
He's not going to crack their top6 and while injuries have derailed his development he likely ends up being a solid top6 (read that as 2nd liner) forward if healthy and given the chance. The problem with any trade to Columbus is he's probably worth a 2nd rounder and maybe B prospect but the Jackets don't have their next two 2nd round picks. The 2027 2nd rounder is probably too far away so while Waddell has a ton of trade capital he's lacking in the not a high end return but also not a throw in capital.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's not going to crack their top6 and while injuries have derailed his development he likely ends up being a solid top6 (read that as 2nd liner) forward if healthy and given the chance. The problem with any trade to Columbus is he's probably worth a 2nd rounder and maybe B prospect but the Jackets don't have their next two 2nd round picks. The 2027 2nd rounder is probably too far away so while Waddell has a ton of trade capital he's lacking in the not a high end return but also not a throw in capital.

I don't think Nick Robertson is worth a 2nd rounder. Teams are not lining up to add a very frequently injured 5'9 forward.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I’ll take Robertson, for free or for a middling/nothing prospect (like Knazko).

I’m not trading a draft pick for him. I’m done with trading picks for a bit unless we have some sort of surprise season.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
Not a today or tomorrow move, but next offseason if the Leafs don’t trade/sign Marner, that’s definitely someone I can see the Jackets going after with all their cap space. I assume Draisaitl won’t hit the market, and probably Marner won’t either, but just someone to keep an eye on.
This is what I expect. Getting a bottom 6 guy for this year, either via cap dump or by signing a guy like JVR for something like $4M×1, and then go after Marner next year, assuming he hits free agency and would be willing to sign.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
A strong forechecker with a bit of snarl would be a great addition.
I agree, the question is what Toronto would want. Treiliving doesn't want to give him up, so the price would probably be high.

If the roster without him:

Voronkov (24) - Monahan (30) - Chinakhov (23)
K. Johnson (22) - Fantilli (20) - Marchenko (24)
Jenner (31) - Sillinger (21) - Pyyhtiä (23)
Olivier (27) - Kuraly (31) - Danforth (31)
---
Fix-Wolanski (25)/McKown (22)

Werenski (27), Severson (30)
Provorov (27), Gudbranson (32)
J. Johnson (37), Jiříček (21)
---
Svozil (21)/Christiansen (25)/Harris (24)

Tarasov (25)
Greaves (23)

I think it will be better if Mateychuk, Brindley, Malatesta and Del Bel Belluz play the whole season in Cleveland. They need to play in all situations, DBB should get used to playing center.

Pyyhtiä is a two-way fast player with good skill and vision. Can play in the PK.

I do not think Harris is better than Svozil or maybe Christiansen.
With all due respect to Elvis, I think Daniil and Jet are better.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Do you guys think there is a chance Malatesta cracks the lineup?? He plays a unique type of game that all teams love. Looks like he had a good rookie year last season in the AHL

Or will he have a back and forth type season bouncing from NHL to AHL and back and forth

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Do you guys think there is a chance Malatesta cracks the lineup?? He plays a unique type of game that all teams love. Looks like he had a good rookie year last season in the AHL

Or will he have a back and forth type season bouncing from NHL to AHL and back and forth
Given the amount of forward roster spots we have open (about 2-3) he’s got a real chance in my opinion. Unless we start adding guys.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

I think yes there is a chance. How big of a chance? I'd say...

60% "back n forth" year
30% "lineup regular at least most of the season" year
10% "plays <12 games in the NHL" year

Answer to the "will he make the team?" question will probably depend on numerous factors, some of which could be for example:

- how many and what type of veterans Waddell will add to the team before the season?
- injury situation after preseason
- how good does he look compared to other young forwards capable of playing in bottom-6, such as Brindley, McCue etc.?
- is there a development plan designed for him, do they want him to polish some aspects of his game in the AHL (decision-making with the puck for example), or is Evason just going to play whoever he thinks are best at helping the team to win games?

Reactions: VT

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

He has a chance to play a prototypical 4th line type role, but I would think/hope he spends another year (or most of it) in Cleveland. CBJ have 2-3 openings in the forward group depending on whether they carry 13 or 14 forwards. He's in that 12-14 range in my opinion, but there are a lot of options for those spots as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad