Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah I believe Waddell was considering adding a roster player before the tragedy so it's possible/probable(?) we're looking at two more guys.
There are players that other GMS would like to move. STL, likely has to move Saad by next off-season, so might want to move him now if the opportunity presents itself. NYI has wanted to move Pageau. But, that is where a MNTC would come into play. Not sure many players want to go into a difficult situation in CBJ this season, both in the standings wise and emotionally.

Ownership and management need to figure out what course they wish to pursue. Use the real money slotted for Gaudreau to get players or just reach the floor at minimal cost? Or some combo in between.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
Are there any requirements on who you can sign to a contract? Like, does the person have to be a hockey player?

If not, sign Matt's widow to a 1 year for the whatever the cap floor gap is.

Reactions: LJ7 and GoJackets1

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
First off. I don’t think people quite understand that you don’t just ask for an exception out of pity. The season and cap compliance is still several weeks away and there are still options available to follow the rules as written.

I hope nobody thinks the team should sit back and do nothing and just assume people will bend over backwards to change the rules for them.

I’m sorry if that seems brash to people but it’s the truth. An exception would and should only be given as the absolute last resort and I honestly don’t see it as an option with 5+ weeks until the season starts.

Had this happened during the season I could see it temporarily but there is still time left to follow the rules as written.
While I agree in most situations, this is different due to the nature of the cause. Forcing the team to make pointless moves just to hit the cap floor is absolutely something the league should proactively prevent. Forcing the team to overpay a player or trade under pressure for a player to get to the cap floor for "competitive balance" under this situation won't do anything other than hamper the teams ability to rebuild and achieve success down the road. There is no way to be competitive this year no matter who we add, let us go for the 1st overall and build a warchest of draft assets and force compliance next year its the only way the franchise has a shot at getting back on its feet relatively quickly.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Makes sense, but our owner has shown a reluctance to pay someone to do nothing, versus someone who's actually suiting up and playing for you. It remains to be seen if he's open to something like you suggest given the uniqueness of the situation. To add, chances are the team will need to add a player anyway, so they could solve both issues at once. (Which doesn't change your "buffer if they want to sell in-season" comment, I get.)

I agree the first avenue will be to look to acquire a player on an expiring contract from a team looking to give itself some financial/cap flexibility.

Hypothetically, it's cheaper to pay Weber a few hundred k after insurance to circumvent that cap floor than it would be to overpay a player by a few million either via trade or free agency.

You also have to account for the need for a buffer above the floor. If they just get to the cap floor, that will make it difficult for them to execute in season moves.

I understand what you are saying, but this scenario is closer to spending a few hundred k to save a few million than it is to paying a player to do nothing.

Reactions: alphafox

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
While I agree in most situations, this is different due to the nature of the cause. Forcing the team to make pointless moves just to hit the cap floor is absolutely something the league should proactively prevent. Forcing the team to overpay a player or trade under pressure for a player to get to the cap floor for "competitive balance" under this situation won't do anything other than hamper the teams ability to rebuild and achieve success down the road. There is no way to be competitive this year no matter who we add, let us go for the 1st overall and build a warchest of draft assets and force compliance next year its the only way the franchise has a shot at getting back on its feet relatively quickly.
You might think things are pointless but the CBA was designed with a cap floor for a reason and there are still plenty of legit ways to meet it over the next few weeks without destroying the future of the organization.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
KJ-Monahan-Marchenko
Jenner-Fantilli-Chinakhov
Voronkov-Sillinger-Danforth
??-Kuraly-Olivier
??

Lots of holes to plug in here. I’d ideally like to get Chinakhov and Voronkov on the same line. But he just don’t have the bodies to make it work unless you’re going to make an all grinder line of Jenner-Silly-Danforth or something. Idk.

Reactions: VT

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hypothetically, it's cheaper to pay Weber a few hundred k after insurance to circumvent that cap floor than it would be to overpay a player by a few million either via trade or free agency.

You also have to account for the need for a buffer above the floor. If they just get to the cap floor, that will make it difficult for them to execute in season moves.

I understand what you are saying, but this scenario is closer to spending a few hundred k to save a few million than it is to paying a player to do nothing.
Just telling you the reality regarding how our owner has chosen to spend money on his hockey club.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
KJ-Monahan-Marchenko
Jenner-Fantilli-Chinakhov
Voronkov-Sillinger-Danforth
??-Kuraly-Olivier
??

Lots of holes to plug in here. I’d ideally like to get Chinakhov and Voronkov on the same line. But he just don’t have the bodies to make it work unless you’re going to make an all grinder line of Jenner-Silly-Danforth or something. Idk.
Maybe they could go into the camp with one more "Iafallo" added just to get over the floor, and then after a few games they could decide whether it's needed to have another veteran forward or defenseman, depending on the injury situation and how ready some rookies like Brindley are looking based on preseason performance?

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Prior to the tragedy, GMDW talked openly about adding a forward. I would think that search might be a little more expanded now given the player that was lost. :(

I could see a middle 6 forward being added and could even see someone with term being added. I just think they need to reset what they thought the young players would become and really make decisions after this year. There aren't usually players that are cap dumps that are also high end players. I don't think CBJ will be over a barrel here and hope any addition will be someone with experience, leadership and a modicum of skill - middle 6 guy. I have no idea how it plays out but I would love to see us reach out to Seattle and inquire about....yup... Oliver Bjorkstrand. 2 years left, would fit the middle 6 and at $5.4MM AAV would solve the CAP issue and not impact the long term. Could still add a bottom 6 guy on a short term deal and have expiring contracts at the end of the year.

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
i wonder if they didn't pull the trigger on Laine trade if they would have considered retaining some of it ?

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
First off. I don’t think people quite understand that you don’t just ask for an exception out of pity. The season and cap compliance is still several weeks away and there are still options available to follow the rules as written.

I hope nobody thinks the team should sit back and do nothing and just assume people will bend over backwards to change the rules for them.

I’m sorry if that seems brash to people but it’s the truth. An exception would and should only be given as the absolute last resort and I honestly don’t see it as an option with 5+ weeks until the season starts.

Had this happened during the season I could see it temporarily but there is still time left to follow the rules as written.
That is, a team is supposed to sign a player they may not need at all just because of the salary cap? I understand that it's beneficial for the NHL and especially the NHLPA, but not for the team. It's not about regret, it's about the fact that now the roster is radically changing and it takes time to properly evaluate it.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
That is, a team is supposed to sign a player they may not need at all just because of the salary cap? I understand that it's beneficial for the NHL and especially the NHLPA, but not for the team. It's not about regret, it's about the fact that now the roster is radically changing and it takes time to properly evaluate it.
The nhl is filled with players that teams may not need. That is a very subjective statement based on opinion but not fact of what determines their “need”

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Might depend on whether CBJ decide to spend their cap space next off season and having the $8 mill of Weber of ltir Might not be something they want. Main issue is not being able to account for elc bonuses as you need to still be under the cap ceiling with that ltir player in order to account for bonuses in the year otherwise it kicks over next season. Might not be a massive problem but something the team may not want.

With just 42 contract slots used, so long as insurance is covering the majority of the ltir player (from what I heard on Hossa en Bolland, teams have to cover 20% while insurance covers 80%), cbj can add to meet the floor. Only been a few days. Ownership and Waddell have to sit down and figure this out.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

You are acting like the Jackets just traded away Gaudreau and that's why the team isn't cap compliant. This is extenuating circumstance. A player who made up 11% of the teams cap is gone because some idiot decided to drink a lot get behind a wheel, and it happened like 3 weeks before camp starts, (based off pervious years.) If there ever is a situation where a cap exception for not meeting the floor could be given, its this one. I am not saying it is likely to happen, but you are acting like there is no way they will give it.

Reactions: VT

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
The cap stuff exists for a reason, but I don't think making exceptions for cases where a signed player dies during off-season will make the system fall apart or create loop holes for teams to abuse.

A good faith arrangement where a team in such a situation would be obliged to at least try to find a way that actually works for them, instead of being forced to do so would seem pretty fair to me. There could be even some kind of penalty for it, nothing too severe but something that gives incentive to at least try finding a way to be cap compliant. I dunno what that would be, but someone who knows this stuff better than me could come up with something I'm sure. If the GM can't find a way they like to become cap compliant, then they could ask for an exemption, which would then be granted.

Something like that would be how I would go about it, if it were my call to make. Something that doesn't "reward" a tragedy, I mean a person just died, it sucks and that's how it should be, the org shouldn't "gain" from it, no one wants extra pity picks or guaranteed 1sts or anything like that. It would also be pretty bad though if a situation were created where the org and fanbase first have to go through the tragedy of someone dying and then also get shafted by the GM having to make desperate moves to get cap compliant. I don't think anyone wants to see that either.

But yeah, it would be best if CBJ find a way to use that cap in a way they are happy with.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
You are acting like the Jackets just traded away Gaudreau and that's why the team isn't cap compliant. This is extenuating circumstance. A player who made up 11% of the teams cap is gone because some idiot decided to drink a lot get behind a wheel, and it happened like 3 weeks before camp starts, (based off pervious years.) If there ever is a situation where a cap exception for not meeting the floor could be given, its this one. I am not saying it is likely to happen, but you are acting like there is no way they will give it.
That's why Shea Weber's contract makes some sense, in a kinda like last resort way. Can't see GMBA taking back anything but "future considerations". This way the league doesn't have to get involved.
My condolences...

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Might depend on whether CBJ decide to spend their cap space next off season and having the $8 mill of Weber of ltir Might not be something they want. Main issue is not being able to account for elc bonuses as you need to still be under the cap ceiling with that ltir player in order to account for bonuses in the year otherwise it kicks over next season. Might not be a massive problem but something the team may not want.

With just 42 contract slots used, so long as insurance is covering the majority of the ltir player (from what I heard on Hossa en Bolland, teams have to cover 20% while insurance covers 80%), cbj can add to meet the floor. Only been a few days. Ownership and Waddell have to sit down and figure this out.

This would be a consideration, but looking at their roster makeup and history, I would guess that they are unlikely to spend within 8M of the cap. Remember, the cap is going up even more next season.

They have 40M in space next year with 12 players already signed, and that is before accounting for a possible increase to the cap.

The best case scenario is that they can do a reverse-Bjorkstrand, and acquire a legitimate forward at pennies on the dollar because of the power that their open cap space grants them. I'm not saying they aren't or shouldn't do something like that. I'm only pointing out that acquiring Weber from Utah could be a sensible move for both sides.

Another factor is that it gives Columbus some leverage in negotiations with other teams. There is no doubt that once it is appropriate, teams are going to call Columbus to try and "help" them by dumping their Cody Glass or Cody Ceci type contracts on Columbus so that they can reach the floor. If Columbus needs to reach the floor, they have less leverage. If they go out and get Weber from Utah, they can still engage in talks about taking cap dumps from other teams, but they don't have to make any move if the compensation isn't appropriate.

I don't know what Weber is actually owed after insurance, but the formula is supposedly something like 80 percent after 30 games. Either way, it's a negligible amount because his pre-insurance salary is 1M per season.

Thanks for being cool about discussing this, I know it's not always kosher to go to other boards, but I have a genuine interest in these kind of cap gymnastics.

edit: also, HFBoards must be messing with us. If you write U T A H without spaces, you get a massive image of their logo. Utah.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I see absolutely no point in adding a contract like Weber's while the team still needs to add a a couple roster players. There are going to be contracts available on waivers that will come with an actual NHL player, at very least. Plenty of teams out there who would be willing to attach a pick to a bad contract.

Reactions: EspenK

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Leafs fan here in peace. Trying to gauge what the fanbase thinks of Sillinger. Is he a long-term piece with the upcoming C depth?

It appears from looking at the roster, then confirming on this board, that there are holes on the wings. Would a Robertson+Jarnkrok+FLA 2nd for Sillinger work?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Leafs fan here in peace. Trying to gauge what the fanbase thinks of Sillinger. Is he a long-term piece with the upcoming C depth?

It appears from looking at the roster, then confirming on this board, that there are holes on the wings. Would a Robertson+Jarnkrok+FLA 2nd for Sillinger work?
Team just signed him to a new contract. While there are people on this forum who don’t think he’s worth it, I won’t take anyone seriously who thinks trading Sillinger is the way to solve the issues at wing.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I am not. I am being realistic with the situation and looking at it objectively without any emotional ties.

It's terrible that it happened. I'm heartbroken by it. The world does not go around based on giving exceptions just because you feel bad for an organization's bad luck.

I say this again. There is time to become compliant before the season starts within the rules of the game. There will be a rightful mourning period but business must go on. The regular season still starts on October 8 across the league and there are still 34 days to figure things out to become compliant.

The only way it will be given is if it is the last resort and all other options have been exhausted. I've mentioned that a few times. People on here are asking for an exception without even trying to handle it within the context of the rules first.

Reactions: kevistar

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Dropping in with an idea that could make sense. You could offer sheet Nick Robertson for 2.8 million dollars and it would only cost a third. The leafs almost certainly would not be able to match it, and it gets you guys over the cap floor.

He’s a young winger who looks to have some scoring ability, since that’s what it seems like you guys are looking for currently.

Reactions: CBJx614 and Jovavic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad