Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
On a separate note, this feels like the whole organization has to change and head in a new direction. Almost 30 years of nothing and the biggest trivia about this franchise is the number of players that have died while on the team. I know management has an impossible task but they have to make something out of the tragedy in the next few years otherwise hockey really does seem destined for failure in C-bus. You have to bring some joy to a fan base that has spend the last half decade going through the worst stretch in possibly sports history.

I am going to put my foot down on this one even though we are still grieving. I am getting really f***ING TIRED off seeing comments where "Hockey died in Columbus with Johnny Hockey". Really sick of seeing many comments on social media saying that this is going to cause the franchise to fall apart and will probably need to move the team in 10 years back to Canada/Houston/KC/ect because the fanbase will now become apathetic. Hell if anything this weekend showed we love this team. Fanbases just dont disappear even without success in the standings. Teams still have followings if they are bad. Teams don't move because of bad performance. Teams only move due to stadium deals falling apart or financial issues (non of which are a problem with CBJ even if they are not a high revenue team). If the only thing that matters is winning/championships the following teams wouldn't exist:

Seattle Mariners
Pittsburgh Pirates
Kansas City Royals
San Diego Padres
Tampa Bay Rays
Cleveland Guardians
New York Knicks
Toronto Raptors
Sacramento Kings
Minnesota Timberwolves
Charlotte Bobcats
LA Clippers
NY Jets
Cleveland Browns
Cincinnati Bengals
Buffalo Bills
Minnesota Vikings
Detroit Lions
Arizona Cardinals
Seattle Seahawks
Jacksonville Jaguars
Toronto Maple Leafs
Vancouver Cancucks
Buffalo Sabers

Some of these teams have existed 50+ years without a championship and some were not even alive when they won their previous champion if they did win one. We are fans of our team through the best and worst of times. Without our support then it will disappear. Yeah winning is great but if the fans give up because of some feeling of destined for failure then we will deserve it. Its with tragedy that we must dig in and further show our support for the team as they have a bright future with Fantilli and Co.

Also I know Minnesota and Buffalo were cursed but they made Ohio Sports look somewhat sane.

Last edited:

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I get the emotional aspect of this but the team still has until @10/7 to be cap compliant. There are options to make this happen that are not stupid and will need to be explored before an exception can be considered. Exceptions for any situation and circumstance should always be a last resort.

Spending that @3-4 million dollars does not replace Johnny and we already have many high value draft picks. There are teams before the season and at the trade deadline who very well could be willing to give up more assets to give themselves cap space.

What the CBJ is right now is basically an expansion team with a better start than the team had in '00 to build the right way and a lot of cap space to address needs over the next couple of years.
And a VERY stocked prospect pool. This team has a possibility of getting Hagens this time next year or a really good forward (people are sleeping on Frondell imo). Since we never win the lotto there are some really strong prospects in the top 5-6 this year. I know people are tired of waiting for development but we are finally doing a true proper rebuild now that can be the foundation of a dynasty rather than having the typical CBJ two/three directions with the team structure but never truely focusing on an actual identity. The closest we ever had to an identity is gutsy grinders (still miss your Calvert!)/aggressive enforcers and that hasnt been a thing for awhile now.

Last edited:
Reactions: JacketFanInFL

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I don't think we are concerned with anything except taking on a one year contract and getting a big return from a cap strapped team.
We're not going to find a guy to make us competitive this year.
I certainly don't want a bad deal for multiple years.
But I would like to get back the chip we gave up to move Laine, maybe even more.

I do like the analagy above about starting over. Likely that is the approach.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Not a today or tomorrow move, but next offseason if the Leafs don’t trade/sign Marner, that’s definitely someone I can see the Jackets going after with all their cap space. I assume Draisaitl won’t hit the market, and probably Marner won’t either, but just someone to keep an eye on.

Reactions: Aaaarrgghh

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wonder if Carolina would be willing to trade Fast? He is on ltir for the season and has a cap hit around 5mil.
There are other players who are on LTIR for just this season which is their last. Poolman in Van is at $2.5 mill. Oshie/Backstrom in Wash. Not sure how much Wash needs to be in LTIR and whether they would prefer to move one of them only. PHI with RyJo if he wins his grievance is another $4 mill for this season. If Fast is done for the PO as well, then he's also a potential target.

How many open contract slots does CBJ still have? And they have to think about needing to keep a slot or 2 open for NCAA signings before the end of the season and who they plan on moving by the TDL.

Probably going to avoid the likes of Price, Weber, Ellis who have multiple years of LTIR remaining.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
And here we go...

Looks like we are going to start seeing the "lets help the Blue Jackets by offering terrible exploitative trades" by the clickbait media. Y'all know that we can just sign a PTO to a one year 2.5 mil contract right without having to take a multi-year cap dump or to spend our own picks right?

@Viqsi when that thread opens back up you need to put your foot down in the trade discussion that appears to be exploitative in nature as trolling because of this reason above. This fanbase does not need to deal with those conversations right now. This isn't like a Cap Dump that needs to be traded ASAP and you can exploit them. Habs fans in the comment section of the attached video are already going "LOL NOBODY WANTS TO PLAY FOR COLUMBUS" from which I am sure will be a talking point over here too.

Honestly that thread just needs to stay closed. There would be too much "chirping" can could devolve into a "LOL COLUMBUS SUCKS" thread circlejerk as kids on the internet can't behave properly as the Laine thread showed.

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
And here we go...

Looks like we are going to start seeing the "lets help the Blue Jackets by offering terrible exploitative trades" by the clickbait media. Y'all know that we can just sign a PTO to a one year 2.5 mil contract right without having to take a multi-year cap dump or to spend our own picks right?

@Viqsi when that thread opens back up in trade section you need to put your foot down in the trade discussion that appears to be exploitative in nature as trolling because of this reason above. This fanbase does not need to deal with those conversations right now. This isn't like a Cap Dump that needs to be traded ASAP and you can exploit them.

Click bait trash is all that dude ever posts

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There are a few options for CBJ to get to the floor this season without taking on bad contracts that go beyond 24/25 year. There some LTIR contracts they could look to add.
In terms of roster players, the biggest hurdle is going to be trade protection. It was difficult enough prior to the Gaudreau's situation with CBJ's place in the standings, but now, not sure many players want to come into an emotionally difficult situation.

Reactions: Jovavic

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
LW Van Riemsdyk
LW Pacioretty
LW Hoffman
RW Wheeler
LW Zadina
RW Yamamoto
LW Kubalik
C Lorentz
LW Katchouk
RW Okposo
RW Clutterbuck
C Tierney
LW Martin
RW Labanc
LW Gagner
C Bellemare
C Bonino
LW R. Pitlick
LW Khaira
RW Luff
LW Erne
LW Hirose
C McKegg
RW T. Pitlick
RW Mayhew
C Weatherby
RW Reedy
LW Tracey
C De Leo
RW Gust
C Johansen

Here's a list of notable UFA forwards that was posted on trade board. Some names already mentioned like JVR and Patches for being veteran leaders. Okposo and Hoffman haven't been mentioned yet. Don't know how much these four have left in the tank but I would look into them before taking on cap dumps (especially if the dump has multiple years left)
As I wrote previously that I didn’t like any of those on the unsigned list shown above, the team seems some at least one winger. Below is how it stacks up going into camp. Note this isn’t intended to be my preferred lines, rather it’s just a look a compilation of players based on position.

Chinakov Monahan Marchenko
Johnson Jenner Fantilli
Voronkov Sillinger ????
Danforth Kuraly Olivier

I didn’t include Brindley as starting in Cleveland might be best. Nor did I include Malatesta or any other Monster forwards. Maybe this pool will yield a player for that spot. We’ll see. But I’d expect Waddell will be adding a winger, looking to deal with a club wrestling with cap issues.

Reactions: Jovavic

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The easiest move for CBJ would be to take Shea Weber's contract from Utah.

The contract is insured. So he is only owed a few 100k in real dollars.

They may need a buffer at the TDL if they end up as sellers.

The only downside is that it is a two year contract, but I can't see it mattering next year. The aren't going to be over the ceiling..

It is win/win because while Utah is not anywhere near the cap ceiling, they don't need the Weber contract as a buffer to stay above the floor. They will still be close to 10M above the floor. It's basically free money for Utah via not having to pay Weber, and while they probably won't hit the cap ceiling next year, strategically keeping Weber is unlikely to serve a purpose.

Reactions: Schemp

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024
I’m waiting to see what the league tells us the next steps are cap wise. I really hope we never encounter this scenario for another team in the future.

Quite honestly, I think we’re going to be pretty bad. I’d be willing to stash some guys in Cleveland and let them develop. Mainly in reference to Brindley and Mateychuk. This is going to be a tough season. Especially mentally. Not everyone will play well. That’s totally okay. Quite frankly… I could care less about the results this season. I worry about the team in terms of mental standpoints. Think about the long run. Get the younger guys more development. Get another top pick and re-evaluate down the road. I do not want another Provy type move where it seemed like it was trying to field a competitive team that wasn’t really there in the first place.

Reactions: Doggy and Jovavic

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I’m waiting to see what the league tells us the next steps are cap wise. I really hope we never encounter this scenario for another team in the future.
when kivi died, the league refused to make an exception for the expansion draft, which led to the jackets signing cam johnson to meet the minimum roster exposure requirements at goalie.

i doubt they'll make an exception for the cap floor.

Quite honestly, I think we’re going to be pretty bad.
the last few days have made it impossible to feel any excitement or joy about hockey for the foreseeable future.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
when kivi died, the league refused to make an exception for the expansion draft, which led to the jackets signing cam johnson to meet the minimum roster exposure requirements at goalie.

This case may be different. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they refused.

AnonCommentary

Jun 4, 2024

the last few days have made it impossible to feel any excitement or joy about hockey for the foreseeable future.
Don’t fault you there about no excitement. It’s why I said I could care less results wise. I honestly don’t know how they could feel ready to play.

Reactions: Youngguns1380

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
or – and hear me out here – they can just do a $4m x 1 year deal to someone like blake wheeler or kevin lebanc

The Weber contract is owed almost no real money. It's basically a cheat code to resolve this kind of situation.

It would be similar to the Islanders acquiring Tim Thomas a decade or so ago, when he wasn't going to report.

Yes, they can give a 775k player millions of dollars, but that is the path of most resistance. Most owners don't like to burn money when they don't have to.

I think the most likely solution would be that they acquire a Cody Ceci type from another team. A useful player on an expiring contract who is a cap casualty. I'm just pointing out that acquiring the Weber contract is a near perfect stop gap, especially because it gives Columbus a buffer to remain over the floor if they want to sell a roster player in season.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The Weber contract is owed almost no real money. It's basically a cheat code to resolve this kind of situation.

It would be similar to the Islanders acquiring Tim Thomas a decade or so ago, when he wasn't going to report.

Yes, they can give a 775k player millions of dollars, but that is the path of most resistance. Most owners don't like to burn money when they don't have to.

I think the most likely solution would be that they acquire a Cody Ceci type from another team. A useful player on an expiring contract who is a cap casualty. I'm just pointing out that acquiring the Weber contract is a near perfect stop gap, especially because it gives Columbus a buffer to remain over the floor if they want to sell a roster player in season.
Makes sense, but our owner has shown a reluctance to pay someone to do nothing, versus someone who's actually suiting up and playing for you. It remains to be seen if he's open to something like you suggest given the uniqueness of the situation. To add, chances are the team will need to add a player anyway, so they could solve both issues at once. (Which doesn't change your "buffer if they want to sell in-season" comment, I get.)

I agree the first avenue will be to look to acquire a player on an expiring contract from a team looking to give itself some financial/cap flexibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbjthrowaway

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Puckpedia is correct, CBJ has 42 contract slots used. So, they have plenty to work with to add multiple LTIR contracts if needed vs taking on a bigger LTIR one that has term on it.

If they had 48 used, then they'd have to go with a bigger one to ensure that they had a slot open for later in the season.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
As DSL said, I have a hard time seeing management willing to take on a LTIR contract for someone not to play for them. The Weber contract could be different if it truly is that low of an actual money payment.

But there is a hockey component. We actually do need one or two players in here to take spots. Unless we’re good with two of TFW, LDBB, Brindley, or Malatesta being full time players next year, which I am not.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
If I recall, earlier in the summer, Waddell wanted to improve the forward lineup. Unless the recent events have pushed him into full rebuild mode, which I doubt, I imagine that is even more the case now, so I doubt an LTIR guy will be the route they go to get to the floor.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
As DSL said, I have a hard time seeing management willing to take on a LTIR contract for someone not to play for them. The Weber contract could be different if it truly is that low of an actual money payment.

But there is a hockey component. We actually do need one or two players in here to take spots. Unless we’re good with two of TFW, LDBB, Brindley, or Malatesta being full time players next year, which I am not.
Yeah I believe Waddell was considering adding a roster player before the tragedy so it's possible/probable(?) we're looking at two more guys.

Reactions: Xoggz22

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I do wonder how much of our team makes it past the trade deadline. The cap situation really does mean that there are a lot of options to increase the value of players by eating cap hit and offering help to contenders or teams that need help/backup at a premium. We could eat 50% salary on elvis, Provorov, Jenner, & Gudbranson while taking back 20 Million in expiring/LTIR/Bad contracts and still be 15+ million short of the Cap Ceiling.

That is alot of leverage that we can use for the next couple of years especially as there is no one we are going to be able to bring in soon to make use of that cap in a meaningful way.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
This case may be different. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they refused.
First off. I don’t think people quite understand that you don’t just ask for an exception out of pity. The season and cap compliance is still several weeks away and there are still options available to follow the rules as written.

I hope nobody thinks the team should sit back and do nothing and just assume people will bend over backwards to change the rules for them.

I’m sorry if that seems brash to people but it’s the truth. An exception would and should only be given as the absolute last resort and I honestly don’t see it as an option with 5+ weeks until the season starts.

Had this happened during the season I could see it temporarily but there is still time left to follow the rules as written.

Reactions: kevistar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad