Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
It’s so f***ing sad that we have to even talk about the hockey part right now, but it’s a discussion that needs to be had at some point.
Not everybody grieves the same way or at the same speed. Give yourself the grace to join in when you are ready. That goes for everyone. I move in and out of the various stages at random times.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Not everybody grieves the same way or at the same speed. Give yourself the grace to join in when you are ready. That goes for everyone. I move in and out of the various stages at random times.
I’ve been so sad since the news broke. I’m usually always pumped for OSU football, and I did watch, but idk. Just didn’t have the joy. I’m sure it’ll return. But idk, I went from looking forward to hockey season to dreading it. And that’s not important at all in the grand scheme of things, JG and his family are way more important, but idk. Throwing together lines or potential pickups to help the team is a sense of normalcy that I’m looking for I guess.

I don’t even really know how to put it into words how I feel or even what I’m saying now. I feel like this paragraph was just a bunch of word vomit.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Johnson - Monahan - Chinakhov
Voronkov - Fantilli - Marchenko
Jenner - Sillinger - Danforth
Malatesta - Kuraly - Olivier

Hmm, maybe later Brindley. IMO we need to think about possible new players, just because we have so much space doesn't mean we have to sign/trade someone right away.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Johnson - Monahan - Chinakhov
Voronkov - Fantilli - Marchenko
Jenner - Sillinger - Danforth
Malatesta - Kuraly - Olivier

Hmm, maybe later Brindley. IMO we need to think about possible new players, just because we have so much space doesn't mean we have to sign/trade someone right away.
We actually kinda do...we are under floor cap so we need to spend about 3mil in the next few weeks. Also if we would say bury Elvis in Cleveland while we would get some cap relief we would be below the cap floor with that relief unless we spend an additional 1.75? mil (its not likely Elvis would get reassigned but we are getting to the point all options must be available)

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
We actually kinda do...we are under floor cap so we need to spend about 3mil in the next few weeks. Also if we would say bury Elvis in Cleveland while we would get some cap relief we would be below the cap floor with that relief unless we spend an additional 1.75? mil (its not likely Elvis would get reassigned but we are getting to the point all options must be available)
Maybe. I could see an exception being made for this season. The team will prob report in less than 3 weeks. We are in a terrible situation on the humanity side, and a very unique situation on the hockey side.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I would love to discuss this but right now it seems to soon. Johnny was my favorite player on our team by a long shot. There don’t come many class acts like him with that much talent.
That's perfectly fine. Everyone works through it at their own pace and not everyone is going to be up for it at the same time, or even stay up for it after they're first ready. These things take their own time.

Personally I'm riding a little bit of a high from watching the Buckeyes dominate and watching the Crew as I type this. Later this evening I'll probably be right back out of it.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Wouldn't hate a Max Pac signing, mostly for the experience, locker room presence and leadership he brings as well. We need as much as we can get right now.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Ok so I did the dirty work this morning looking at potential lines:

KJMonahanMarchenko
BooneFantilliChinakov
VoronkovSillingerDanforth
MalatestaKuralyOlivier
Forwards: $26,750,000.00

ZSeverson
ProvorovJiricek
HarrisGudbranson
Defense$26,876,666.00

Elvis
Tarasov
Goalies :$6,450,000.00

Trey Fix-Wolansky
Jake Christiansen
Jack Johnson
Scratch: $2,325,000.00

Buyouts: $825,000.00

Total Payroll: $63,226,666.00
Cap floor: $65,000,000

Total Base Deficiency: -$1,773,334.00

Total Base Deficiency with 50% Provorov traded away and replaced with Mateychuk: -$3,249,168.00

Total Base Deficiency with above transaction and an additional 50% Kuraly trade with ELC player replacement: -$3,602,501.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok Starting to look like we are going to need to get AT A MINIMUM 2 bottom 6 cap dumps and/or signed in a PTO forwards to play a 4th line role/scratch. Honestly probably should be 3 forwards as this depth is looking rough and I rather have our more premium prospects in Cleveland as much as we can getting top 6/4 minutes there. We are probably going to need to at least pick up $4 mil between these 2-3 bottom 6 forwards as Provorov is 100% going to get traded at the deadline at 50% and there's a possibly Kurary will too thought at this point that one is becoming alot less likely the past 72 hours :(

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
If they're going to trade for a cap dump, maybe ideally it could be:

- a veteran forward with 1-2 years left
- a player who improves the on-ice product a little
- someone who's still great at some aspects of the game, someone whom younger players could learn a lot from
- a player with strong reputation of being a good locker room guy
- someone who knew Johnny well and/or admired him, someone who wants to show their respect for him by playing for CBJ this year and support those who were close with Johnny, the Monahans and the Gudbransons for example

I just don't know if there is such player that would meet all the criteria. I don't even know what they're really going to do about the cap situation. Very possibly they don't have a clue yet either.

Probably the management and the team will have conversations together with the Gaudreaus about how they're going to approach the season, and perhaps then eventually some move(s) will be made to complete the roster, but again, this is just me guessing. Not expecting any sudden acquisition to occur within the next few days.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
If they're going to trade for a cap dump, maybe ideally it could be:

- a veteran forward with 1-2 years left
- a player who improves the on-ice product a little
- someone who's still great at some aspects of the game, someone whom younger players could learn a lot from
- a player with strong reputation of being a good locker room guy
- someone who knew Johnny well and/or admired him, someone who wants to show their respect for him by playing for CBJ this year and support those who were close with Johnny, the Monahans and the Gudbransons for example

I just don't know if there is such player that would meet all the criteria. I don't even know what they're really going to do about the cap situation. Very possibly they don't have a clue yet either.

Probably the management and the team will have conversations together with the Gaudreaus about how they're going to approach the season, and perhaps then eventually some move(s) will be made to complete the roster, but again, this is just me guessing. Not expecting any sudden acquisition to occur within the next few days.
First off condolences from all of JETS Nation. :( This was supposed to be a joyous weekend for theGaudreau family and friends.

Maybe someone like Iafallo could be of use to give the Jets a bit more cap flexibility. He is in the final year of a $4 million dollar contract.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I personally am NOT looking forward to all the posters that are going to present their "brilliant" cap dump trades for us when that thread unlocks in the trade forum here. I am sure we are going to see some real winners and personally I am kinda short on dealing with trash for treasure mock trade ideas saying we have to pay for a cap dump because we are under the floor.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Ok Starting to look like we are going to need to get AT A MINIMUM 2 bottom 6 cap dumps and/or signed in a PTO forwards to play a 4th line role/scratch. Honestly probably should be 3 forwards as this depth is looking rough and I rather have our more premium prospects in Cleveland as much as we can getting top 6/4 minutes there. We are probably going to need to at least pick up $4 mil between these 2-3 bottom 6 forwards as Provorov is 100% going to get traded at the deadline at 50% and there's a possibly Kurary will too thought at this point that one is becoming alot less likely the past 72 hours :(

I would work off of your $1.8m figure. Yes we would need to take on even more salary if we sell on Provorov and/ or Kuraly later, but by that point of the year we could get a very good return for taking on trade deadline cap dumps. We don't need to do it now, the returns will be better in the Spring anyways.

To be more precise, $1.8m has to be added on top of the league minimum salary that you have for the scratches, since that scratch player will be going down and not contributing to the cap. Splitting it across 2 or 3 adds means you're sending down more of those scratch players and subtracting their cap hits. So it makes more sense to just add one guy this Fall making $2.6m+ and stop there until the Spring. Iafallo seems like a good guy.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
First off condolences from all of JETS Nation. :( This was supposed to be a joyous weekend for theGaudreau family and friends.

Maybe someone like Iafallo could be of use to give the Jets a bit more cap flexibility. He is in the final year of a $4 million dollar contract.
Contract and talent-wise he could be an option but that's all I'll comment for now. Time will tell.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
/Shrug...

I guess I'll play this game which normally I enjoy but right now feel a bit dirty doing so. Anyways right now we need voices in the room as this team is officially now going to be built around Fantilli/ the kids and ensuring their growth. Reach out to the Flyers to take Laughton to get our second back? He can be a 3rd line LW and that will allow KJ to try to be JG successor either as a 2nd line with Fantilli and Boone becomes first line LW or swap if we want Monahan to run with KJ and Boone to run with Fantilli, basically that ensure a vet is on all 3 of the scoring lines. Also Laughton is another assistant captain which means he obvious has a voice in the flyers locker room. For 2 years this will be an insurance to ensure KJ can play up to his potential.

Laughton's 3mil will cover the floor this year and going into next summer...I am sure we will have another very high pick at this point, probably several 1sts (I am sure #9 will get a first and I wouldn't be shocked if we take another cap dump for a 1st).

Laughton is a good target, and IMO, a good player. Quite frankly, I don’t understand why PHI/Torts are or would even look to move him, with where they are currently, unless they got a good return. Seems to have good “chemistry” with Konecny.

Laughton would keep keep Kuraly/Sillinger off the ice, playing way in over their heads the way they have been.

Be fine with Iafallo, also. These type of guys could have helped years ago.

Last edited:

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Maybe. I could see an exception being made for this season. The team will prob report in less than 3 weeks. We are in a terrible situation on the humanity side, and a very unique situation on the hockey side.
I think this makes the most sense. The League will give CBJ exception this season to essentially ignore the cap floor. This is unforeseen circumstances and we were well above, no foul play (except the driver ffs), and gives no competitive advantage.

If other teams object, then maybe they just extend the time we need to be over the cap floor. But at that point I feel it's just easier to give a full exception for the whole year OR until the end of the regular season. (And I guess there's no salary floor in the playoffs anyway.)

I don't know if they can combine the announcement with some behind the scenes shenanigans like donating Johnny's this year's salary to the family or road safety cause or such if they need to. Probably not needed.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Reach out to the Flyers to take Laughton to get our second back?

Seems like a good guy. All the speculation I've seen is Laughton going for a solid return, it doesn't seem that he's viewed as a cap dump.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I still think going after a guy like Max Pac makes sense. Still somewhat useful on the ice, won't be taking up spots from anyone long term and provides some much needed experience in and out of the locker room.

Granted he more than likely won't play the entire season, hell we'd be lucky if he could play half.

Hell jvr wouldn't me a bad addition either.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I’m going to guess the NHL is going to give the jackets an exception this year.

And even if not, I don’t think sending multiple firsts for a goalie is a good decision. We could easily trade for someone like evander Kane and keep his cap hit. There are plenty of bad contracts out there.

Or they could go the veteran UFA route. Sign a guy like Blake wheeler, Tyler Johnson, or JVR to a 1 year 4 million or something to get to the floor, and likely retain on that deal at the deadline.

And I also don’t think throwing a “F off” bomb to Elvis at this time is going to do you any favors in the locker room. Everyone is grieving. I’m not sure if Elvis is popular in the locker room given the drama, but moments like this give him an opportunity to reinvent himself and rally around each other as a team.
I don't see any exception given. It opens pandora's box of loopholes. Rules exist for a reason and they only need to spend a few million to get above it. There are plenty of teams who'd love to give away a contract or 2 for this season.

Reactions: Jovavic

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I personally am NOT looking forward to all the posters that are going to present their "brilliant" cap dump trades for us when that thread unlocks in the trade forum here. I am sure we are going to see some real winners and personally I am kinda short on dealing with trash for treasure mock trade ideas saying we have to pay for a cap dump because we are under the floor.
I think a strong case can be made for several of those to be trolls and I intend to be making that case as needed. No tolerance for opportunistic ghouls.

Reactions: Indy18 and Jovavic

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Like others, I'll get into this later. The first thing I thought of hockey wise was how did this impact Monahan. Going to be really really tough on him and his family.

As for the team, I wonder how this changes their approach. I'm not a fool to think they were a playoff team but think it's important to learn to win and this just became harder. Any move needs to include winning games, not just assets.

I don't see any exception given. It opens pandora's box of loopholes. Rules exist for a reason and they only need to spend a few million to get above it. There are plenty of teams who'd love to give away a contract or 2 for this season.
I don't see the NHL forcing this team to be Cap compliant and fully expect an exemption of they request it. They likely won't need it but losing $9.5MM 3 weeks before camp... like this. Nah, no way they force a move. Just my opinion though.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I agree about the exception but for this…

Any deal now involves a team over a barrel. They absolutely must make a deal and so the inclination to play hardball might be too much to resist. And if the league won’t step in to offer some grace with regard to the cap floor it isn’t going to ensure the team below the floor isn’t held hostage by other teams either. Will another organization make a deal with the Jackets out of sympathy? Doubtful.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I agree about the exception but for this…

Any deal now involves a team over a barrel. They absolutely must make a deal and so the inclination to play hardball might be too much to resist. And if the league won’t step in to offer some grace with regard to the cap floor it isn’t going to ensure the team below the floor isn’t held hostage by other teams either. Will another organization make a deal with the Jackets out of sympathy? Doubtful.
That's why I've been suggesting FAs. There's a few out there who can justify a few more dollars paid for experience and leadership they would bring to the locker room. And most importantly it's not going to cost us any assets this close to camp and the season.

Unless Waddell was already working on a deal beforehand, I don't see any big deals happening imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad