Offseason Roster Moves, Rumors, and Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Danforth is already a lineup regular. Was he even healthy scratched once last year? Not sure what you're asking of him.

His level of play will matter, he's at times been better than a fourth liner and also had stretches towards the end of last year where he was not effective. If I remember correctly he had something like nine goals by December and only one after that.
I personally wouldn't move him, but I think Waddell might potentially take the opportunity to replace him with an ELC contract.

But this entirely depends on him and how Evason uses him. If he's playing up and down the roster and showing that he's a valuable utility player, then yeah I don't think he's going anywhere.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I like Danforth and Olivier as 4th liners.

Gudbranson/Olivier make a good combo, however we could use a more Dorsett-style “shit starter” at times, where I think their impact on the other team comes more from perception and some reactionary behavior.

I’ve been vocal about Kuraly for awhile. He’s terrible and should be healthy scratched and looked to be moved, IMO. I’d give Danforth or essentially anybody else his 4C spot. Crazy amount of icetime/usage, a HUGE reason the team has been as bad as they’ve been while he’s been around.

He is THE biggest example of the “he’s from Ohio!!” player boost from the organization, and seemingly a pretty large group of the fanbase.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Crazy amount of icetime/usage

That's the problem. IMO There are a lot worse #4Cs in the league than Kuraly, some of them in far better teams than current CBJ but they are used more to their ability / the depth ahead of them is way better.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I’ve been vocal about Kuraly for awhile. He’s terrible and should be healthy scratched and looked to be moved, IMO. I’d give Danforth or essentially anybody else his 4C spot. Crazy amount of icetime/usage, a HUGE reason the team has been as bad as they’ve been while he’s been around.
at the surface level this sure looks like a hot take but i am 100% aligned with the sentiment.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I personally wouldn't move him, but I think Waddell might potentially take the opportunity to replace him with an ELC contract.

But this entirely depends on him and how Evason uses him. If he's playing up and down the roster and showing that he's a valuable utility player, then yeah I don't think he's going anywhere.
Evason likes players like Danforth, Olivier, Kuraly. He can use his qualities. I think they can be better. Similar like Gudbranson.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What I'd like is for some of the qualities that we appreciate in guys like Olivier and Danforth to not be isolated to those guys. I'd like to not be so reliant on guys who should see low minutes to be the only guys who bring certain qualities. I don't need everyone to drop the gloves or stir the pot or excel at the cycle or forecheck, but I want everyone to have some of that to an appropriate degree. It would be easier to gauge the value of the Oliviers and Danforths if the team wasn't so desperate for their qualities.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

at the surface level this sure looks like a hot take but i am 100% aligned with the sentiment.

If Kuraly was a substantial reason why the team is bad then you'd see him getting substantially worse results than the team, especially since he's out there playing hard D zone matchups. He did get bad results in 2022-23 but this past season he was pretty much team average in terms of xG and goals results.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
That's the problem. IMO There are a lot worse #4Cs in the league than Kuraly, some of them in far better teams than current CBJ but they are used more to their ability / the depth ahead of them is way better.

I’m sure there are some guys throughout the league who aren’t as good as Kuraly, though I’d love to see a list, but, it’s not by much and many of those guys bring things he doesn’t, and them being in the NHL is almost always due to the fact they are with organizations/teams who have a need for a “league minimum” type player, which brings up Kuraly’s salary/cap hit (and f***ing Jarmo again) into the conversation, which should be looked at as relevant in the conversation. It’s a minimal aspect at this point due to our cap situation, but, should absolutely be looked at as another negative regarding Kuraly.

This is why I think Malatesta has a chance to make the team as a scratch prayer

Literally almost brought him up as an example. I unfortunately don’t see an “NHL player” when I watch him though, even in relation to a Dorsett. He doesn’t have enough “skill”, or in relation/comparison to Dorsett, the fighting ability, or “insane-ness”, that sometimes a team needs.

Please spare me the concussion/“CTE” talk, sometimes it’s not about winning the fight. Check the scores and times in these games. Need MORE of this from Olivier AND Gudbranson, and as DSL points out, EVERY CBJ PLAYER.
If Kuraly was a substantial reason why the team is bad then you'd see him getting substantially worse results than the team, especially since he's out there playing hard D zone matchups. He did get bad results in 2022-23 but this past season he was pretty much team average in terms of xG and goals results.
I‘ve also been very vocal about my disdain for “advanced statistics”, and believe they help people misinterpret almost everything.

1st, I find the 1-year player variations absolutely fascinating. And the idea that players can be “good” 1 season, and “bad” the very next, or vice versa. They DO NOT change that vastly as players, season to season. I agree he’s getting hard matchups, but, I also believe he’s absolutely failing in his role and in these situations, as a whole.

I would love to see the “numbers”, or a list of what these numbers say are the top/ worst defensive and offensive players for the team. They’re not accurate, it’s that simple.

I could be wrong, but, you major, are someone who has touted Laine’s “defensive” or “two way play”, while at the same time attacked Jenner in regarding these same aspects. To put it lightly, I find this “fascinating”, and quite literally PROOF that the “numbers” and “statistics” you are basing some of your opinions on, are absolute BS.

The simplest aspect to counteract these “numbers” is that not every player on the ice is EQUALLY responsible for a goal scored or scored against. And another aspect is a post that I’ve posted before showing work/investigation from other people/posters showing that the “information” and “data” being plugged into these models regarding shot location, are NOT accurate.

Malatesta should be getting regular playing time as he develops. He shouldn't be in Columbus to simply be a 13th forward.

Again, him specifically, not sure if it would be better for him to actually “develop” anything at the AHL level. He’s not going to get better “skill wise” at this point. Maybe he (and the team/organization) would be better off learning and “developing” from Olivier/Gudbranson, and giving the team a “spark” when needed. Who knows at this point….

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I’m sure there are some guys throughout the league who aren’t as good as Kuraly, though I’d love to see a list, but, it’s not by much and many of those guys bring things he doesn’t, and them being in the NHL is almost always due to the fact they are with organizations/teams who have a need for a “league minimum” type player, which brings up Kuraly’s salary/cap hit (and f***ing Jarmo again) into the conversation, which should be looked at as relevant in the conversation. It’s a minimal aspect at this point due to our cap situation, but, should absolutely be looked at as another negative regarding Kuraly.

Literally almost brought him up as an example. I unfortunately don’t see an “NHL player” when I watch him though, even in relation to a Dorsett. He doesn’t have enough “skill”, or in relation/comparison to Dorsett, the fighting ability, or “insane-ness”, that sometimes a team needs.

Please spare me the concussion/“CTE” talk, sometimes it’s not about winning the fight. Check the scores and times in these games. Need MORE of this from Olivier AND Gudbranson, and as DSL points out, EVERY CBJ PLAYER.

I‘ve also been very vocal about my disdain for “advanced statistics”, and believe they help people misinterpret almost everything.

1st, I find the 1-year player variations absolutely fascinating. And the idea that players can be “good” 1 season, and “bad” the very next, or vice versa. They DO NOT change that vastly as players, season to season. I agree he’s getting hard matchups, but, I also believe he’s absolutely failing in his role and in these situations, as a whole.

I would love to see the “numbers”, or a list of what these numbers say are the top/ worst defensive and offensive players for the team. Their not accurate, it’s that simple.

The simplest aspect to counteract these “numbers” is that not every player on the ice is EQUALLY responsible for a goal scored or scored against. And another aspect is a post that I’ve posted before showing work/investigation from other people/posters showing that the “information” and “data” being plugged into these models regarding shot location, are NOT accurate.

Again, him specifically, not sure if it would be better for him to actually “develop” anything at the AHL level. He’s not going to get better “skill wise” at this point. Maybe he (and the team/organization) would be better off learning and “developing” from Olivier/Gudbranson, and giving the team a “spark” when needed. Who knows at this point….

More from Olivier? To expect more of that from Olivier is over the top.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
More from Olivier? To expect more of that from Olivier is over the top.
What I want more from him and Gudbranson, is to be more “proactive”. They are GREAT in “reactionary” and “protective” situations, but, we need shit done BEFORE that is needed. Gudbranson is needed more on the ice than Olivier.

I’m not saying he’s “bad” at it, and it doesn’t help that he’s nearly “alone in the battle”, but it’s all most that both guys are too professional/respectful at times.

Sometimes I need a Dorsett to talk shit to the other teams entire bench for no reason. Or a Boll to take the head off the 39 yr old offensive defenseman of the other team. It is what it is. A “full contact” sport.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Now we're below the cap floor. I'd suggest spending the money to offer sheet and extend Jeremy Swayman, then put Elvis on waivers with the intent to bury him in Cleveland. Get him out of the locker room. That's how you make the team instantly better.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Now we're below the cap floor. I'd suggest spending the money to offer sheet and extend Jeremy Swayman, then put Elvis on waivers with the intent to bury him in Cleveland. Get him out of the locker room. That's how you make the team instantly better.
I’m going to guess the NHL is going to give the jackets an exception this year.

And even if not, I don’t think sending multiple firsts for a goalie is a good decision. We could easily trade for someone like evander Kane and keep his cap hit. There are plenty of bad contracts out there.

Or they could go the veteran UFA route. Sign a guy like Blake wheeler, Tyler Johnson, or JVR to a 1 year 4 million or something to get to the floor, and likely retain on that deal at the deadline.

And I also don’t think throwing a “F off” bomb to Elvis at this time is going to do you any favors in the locker room. Everyone is grieving. I’m not sure if Elvis is popular in the locker room given the drama, but moments like this give him an opportunity to reinvent himself and rally around each other as a team.

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
This is why you don't make decisions based on heightened emotion. ;)
(He'd like to have that one back.)

Last edited:

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Usually I am always up to discuss cap but even I am still numb to the idea of discussion right now and this is from someone who is designated to help keep the government working when the end of the world happens but you can't just drop a bomb in the locker room right now like with Elvis. Probably going to need to bring in an older veteran to help the locker room this year, most likely a LW forward. This is going to be a discussion in the front office next week for sure. At this point I think nobody is going to raw deal us because we have to due to the optics to take a cap dump. Its still an old boys crowd and the other FOs dont want to take the PR hit trying to screw the Blue Jackets. Screwing us right now would look worse than doing a high end offer sheet and would cause long term bad blood. Nobody wins in this situation. I wouldn't be shocked if we take a high price cap dump for a first right before camp starts.

Update: Yeah I am not ready to have this discussion right now I felt awful for 30 minutes looking up the cap compliance issue...I'll come back to this topic later next week but I personally am not ready to have this discussion right now.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I’m going to guess the NHL is going to give the jackets an exception this year.

And even if not, I don’t think sending multiple firsts for a goalie is a good decision. We could easily trade for someone like evander Kane and keep his cap hit. There are plenty of bad contracts out there.

Or they could go the veteran UFA route. Sign a guy like Blake wheeler, Tyler Johnson, or JVR to a 1 year 4 million or something to get to the floor, and likely retain on that deal at the deadline.

And I also don’t think throwing a “F off” bomb to Elvis at this time is going to do you any favors in the locker room. Everyone is grieving. I’m not sure if Elvis is popular in the locker room given the drama, but moments like this give him an opportunity to reinvent himself and rally around each other as a team.
I hope I never see Blake Wheeler in Columbus. Not only would he be more of a liability, but he didn't lose the "C" without a cause in Winnipeg. Not counting the problems with Laine, since we don't know the real reason or what actually happened.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I hope I never see Blake Wheeler in Columbus. Not only would he be more of a liability, but he didn't lose the "C" without a cause in Winnipeg. Not counting the problems with Laine, since we don't know the real reason or what actually happened.
JVR, to me, makes more sense anyway. I saw Tyler Johnson just signed a PTO somewhere so he’s out too.

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
/Shrug...

I guess I'll play this game which normally I enjoy but right now feel a bit dirty doing so. Anyways right now we need voices in the room as this team is officially now going to be built around Fantilli/ the kids and ensuring their growth. Reach out to the Flyers to take Laughton to get our second back? He can be a 3rd line LW and that will allow KJ to try to be JG successor either as a 2nd line with Fantilli and Boone becomes first line LW or swap if we want Monahan to run with KJ and Boone to run with Fantilli, basically that ensure a vet is on all 3 of the scoring lines. Also Laughton is another assistant captain which means he obvious has a voice in the flyers locker room. For 2 years this will be an insurance to ensure KJ can play up to his potential.

Laughton's 3mil will cover the floor this year and going into next summer...I am sure we will have another very high pick at this point, probably several 1sts (I am sure #9 will get a first and I wouldn't be shocked if we take another cap dump for a 1st).

Last edited:

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I would love to discuss this but right now it seems to soon. Johnny was my favorite player on our team by a long shot. There don’t come many class acts like him with that much talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad