Rumor: Sam Girard for forward help [ MOD warning # 274 ]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Girard thrives when he is on the 2nd pair and with a big stay at home defenceman who will cover for his pinches. The Avs have Byram and Toews on the left side, making Sammy G a bit redundant.

G isn't the type of player that you can throw anywhere in the lineup, but if you can tailor his zone starts and D partner, you are getting a great Defenceman

Why would you tailor his zone starts? That literally removes the best part of his game which is transitions.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
I wonder if a 3-team trade could make sense involving Chicago, Colorado, and LA. Chicago has Kubalik+ that could be offered up to try to get Girard. Colorado needs a long term solution at 2C. LA has lots of Cs and could probably use another solid top-6 forward. Something like this as the potential framework for a deal:

Chicago- Girard

Colorado- Vilardi and Kurashev

LA- Kubalik (with extension if need be but he’s still an RFA after this year)

More pieces would likely be added and not entirely sure on value, but I like the potential framework.
Yeah Kubalík to LA is problematic.

Reactions: Guitpik

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
He's not useless but he's also not a legit #1 all-situations d-man that some Avs fans are claiming.

I see a 2/3 D with some warts to his game but he produces points and has an excellent transition game. A lot of teams could use help there, especially my Blackhawks.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
Is it because of needs or because he didn’t sign there before?
Kubalík was not impressed with the Kings organization & demanded a trade out. Think this started under Lombardi & Sutter & had some more speed bumps with Blake. He's not coming back to LA.

Reactions: Guitpik

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Kubalík was not impressed with the Kings organization & demanded a trade out. Think this started under Lombardi & Sutter & had some more speed bumps with Blake. He's not coming back to LA.

I didn’t realize that’s why he wasn’t signed. Nevermind that offer then.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's not useless but he's also not a legit #1 all-situations d-man that some Avs fans are claiming.
That's what I mean they aren't going to get as much as they think they are. He was literally totally ineffective in the post season.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Yikes, you are a hyperbolic delusional homer.

That's a bit harsh mate, never said Girard wasn't a good hockey player. Just don't think Girard is the answer to LA's defensive puzzle. Iafallo has been LA's best forward this year. Better than Kopitar and Danault.

Just to recap, because I don't want to trade a top six forward with upside for a top four defenseman with upside, that makes me delusional and hyperbolic?

Yikes indeed.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avs realize the rest of the NHL saw Girard get exposed in the playoffs too right? Dude was useless out there.
Unlike HF posters, NHL front offices don’t use 6 game sample sizes to form an opinion on a player. You’re not wrong that he was bad in that series, however that doesn’t simply wipe away a rather large body of work that is his career to this point. If we’re going to use one playoff series to discredit everything else he’s proven to this point do we consider Mcdavid average? Is Marner awful? The rest of the NHL saw Mark Stone not score a point in his most recent playoff series. Guess he sucks too.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Unlike HF posters, NHL front offices don’t use 6 game sample sizes to form an opinion on a player. You’re not wrong that he was bad in that series, however that doesn’t simply wipe away a rather large body of work that is his career to this point. If we’re going to use one playoff series to discredit everything else he’s proven to this point do we consider Mcdavid average? Is Marner awful? The rest of the NHL saw Mark Stone not score a point in his most recent playoff series. Guess he sucks too.
Those players aren't sub 5'9 defensemen and they showed flashes while Girard was getting bullied. Don't get me wrong I'd still love to have him but it was very concerning for teams I'm sure.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Those players aren't sub 5'9 defensemen and they showed flashes while Girard was getting bullied. Don't get me wrong I'd still love to have him but it was very concerning for teams I'm sure.
So what about his series against the blues? Or his playoffs in the bubble a year earlier? They don’t count? It’s just the one against Vegas that matters? Is Mackinnon shit too since he sucked against Vegas?

I just find it weird how everyone concludes Sam Girard sucks because of a 6 game sample size despite being absolute money the rest of his career yet nobody else in the NHL gets that type of punishment when they fail in short sample sizes.

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Thought Girard and his salary would have been a good Rielly replacement if the Leafs let Rielly go to free agency a few months ago. Still like him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad