Rumor: Sam Girard for forward help [ MOD warning # 274 ]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
So a PMD is not the answer....... :facepalm: ur right we need more Chiarots
Good pmd is the answer….. you realize Colorado I trying to move him for a reason, very overrated player. Notice how avs still have Murray and both Johnsons. Weird how a contender sees the value in Chiariot type players but your angered ego can’t……

this team needs a big fish D not a mediocre overpaid small pmd. You don’t make a trade just to make a trade. Especially with the players listed

Reactions: Kimota and kinghock

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's also not really a shutdown D, we don't really have one of those. Our shutdown D is in our ability to keep the play out of our zone and moving quickly to offence.
I was thinking today, that Lou and Sakic like to do deals together. Not Girard, but curious if the Isles were interested in reacquiring Toews to return to the Island. If the Avs need fwd help, would Josh Bailey be on interest? I know you follow the Isles. Curious on your thoughts?

GiFRAUD is a BUST

Nov 8, 2021
I was thinking today, that Lou and Sakic like to do deals together. Not Girard, but curious if the Isles were interested in Toews returning to the Island. If the Avs need fwd help, would Josh Bailey be on interest. I know you follow the Isles. Curious on your thoughts?
Start with Barzal

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
If I had any belief in Chambers (who still has me blocked from being skeptical of his "insight" years ago), and this was an actual immediate action Sakic is trying to take.

I think current Girard probably can net a Miller, Cirelli or Pageau (cost controlled term here adds value) caliber player who can play the center spot

I think Sakic would actually be looking at something similar to the Duchene trade. The forward will be a younger guy on the cusp but buried/unrealized in his current organization + some depth/picks to fill in the organizational gaps. This would at worst give an option for when Kadri departs and competition/insurance between the new forward and Newhook.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Start with Barzal
Then throw in Rantanen and we could get into a cycle here. Not interested in that. I was asking Foppberg. This is about helping both teams. Not making one sided deal proposals. If Avs were not struggling, I doubt there would be any trade discussion on them.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I was thinking today, that Lou and Sakic like to do deals together. Not Girard, but curious if the Isles were interested in reacquiring Toews to return to the Island. If the Avs need fwd help, would Josh Bailey be on interest? I know you follow the Isles. Curious on your thoughts?
I do. So I also know that Bailey is a guy that a lot of Islander fans want fired into the sun :laugh:. It'd need to be more like Wahlstrom + or maybe something around JGP.

Which are most definitely off the table for a contending Islanders squad.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I doubt the Avs move on from Toews. He's looked great beside Makar, and he brings a more steady game than Girard in terms of two-way ability. I think that if Girard is up for grabs it's because they don't have faith in his ability in the playoffs, but they also recognize that he still has quite a bit of value. It's really their shot at getting a cost-controlled center that could be with the team long-term.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I do. So I also know that Bailey is a guy that a lot of Islander fans want fired into the sun :laugh:. It'd need to be more like Wahlstrom + or maybe something around JGP
Yep, I don't think it would be possible then. I can only see the Isles part with Bailey if it is for Toews. If Lou is dealing Wally, I think Byram would be the target. Not Toews. JPG, can't see Isles moving him at all. So that's that I surmise.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Don't even bother bringing up Byram, it's insulting to suggest Wahlstrom even starts that discussion. He's outscoring him as a rookie Dman by the way.
The only thing I will say is the Wahlstrom plays in a very tight system. It's not easy to pile up stats. I can see this happening much more frequently on a more offensive minded team. This just isn't the way the Isles play. Looking at raw scoring totals can distort. I say this liking both players, not diminishing Byram as you seem to be for Wally. The kid is trending well into a proficient goal scorer in the NHL.

Reactions: kinghock

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yep, I don't think it would be possible then. I can only see the Isles part with Bailey if it is for Toews. If Lou is dealing Wally, I think Byram would be the target. Not Toews. JPG, can't see Isles moving him at all. So that's that I surmise.
Byram would cost Barzal honestly. And I say that as a fan of both teams lol. Or Pelech. Aka a core piece, outside of Mikko/MacK/Makar he's our next most important player going forward imo.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Byram would cost Barzal honestly. And I say that as a fan of both teams lol. Or Pelech. Aka a core piece, outside of Mikko/MacK/Makar he's our next most important player going forward imo.
Fair enough. You know what Isles fans think of Barzal. No player is untouchable, but he is as close to it on the Isles as any player is.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
The only thing I will say is the Wahlstrom plays in a very tight system. It's not easy to pile up stats. I can see this happening much more frequently on a more offensive minded team. This just isn't the way the Isles play. Looking at raw scoring totals can distort. I say this liking both players, not diminishing Byram as you seem to be for Wally. The kid is trending well into a proficient goal scorer in the NHL.
Wahlstrom is a promising young sniper who played at 0.5 PPG last year and could very well soon be a 1st line quality winger with a + shot.

Byram projects as an elite #1 Dman and is already realizing that potential. And he's a year younger.

There's a large chasm between the values of these two players.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Not sure why anyone would pay a big value when you are seeing first hand this guy come back to reality now that he isn’t in that softie division
He was very good before the Covid season. People just start noticing him because they saw him or heard about him in the playoffs against Vegas. I don't mind keeping him he's not having quite the season so far but TBH no one on the Avs does unless your name is Byram or even freaking Compher.

Agree with you that no one will probably pay big value with how he has looked in the playoffs and so far this season. Don't sell low !

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
i never read the whole thread but what about gallagher with enough retention that the salaries balance out ?

if it's a center man they need we could add dvorak for a first . avs pick up gallagher (750,000) retained and dvorak for girard and a late first . habs are ultimately out the 2024 2nd used to acquire dvorak but that's the cost of the age difference between gallagher and girard .

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
No, he would not. Good player, elite spin-o-ramas - but posts like this are completely over the top. Girard is not a top 30 dman and any team he is a #1 on is a sad team indeed.

Ok, why isn't he a Top 30 Dman?

He ranks Top 30 in basically every stat you can find since he really had his breakout season in 2019/20. So why isn't he a Top 30 Dman?

He ranks 14th in CF%, 17th in FF%, 15th in SF%, 13th in xGF%, 8th in SCF%, 28th in HDCF%. He's also 29th in points among Dmen scored since 2019/20, 27th for Even Strength points, 29th for Even Strength Points/60. And he's 16th for TOI/Game at even strength.

He's not sheltered, he plays the most minutes at 5 on 5 of any Avs defender. He's got Top 30 stats in basically every category. And if you dove further into the analytics you'd see articles across the league ranking Dmen for Win Shares or Wins above replacement level and see that Girard ranks well inside the Top 30 and quite frankly inside the Top 20, in every single one of those articles. Not to mention he's the best transitional Dman in the league.

By the stats, not only is he a Top 30 Dman, he's actually more like Top 20. But I get that his size hurts him a little compared to most of his peers around him. But saying he isn't Top 30 is just ridiculous. He absolutely is.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
i never read the whole thread but what about gallagher with enough retention that the salaries balance out ?

if it's a center man they need we could add dvorak for a first . avs pick up gallagher (750,000) retained and dvorak for girard and a late first . habs are ultimately out the 2024 2nd used to acquire dvorak but that's the cost of the age difference between gallagher and girard .

Colorado laugh and hangs up.

Wouldn't even trade Girard alone for Gallagher + Dvorak.

Dvorak is proving to be exactly what some of us said he would be before he was traded to Montreal last summer. He's a god awful #2C who struggles to produce anything offensively at 5 on 5 and he's not good defensively.

Want absolutely nothing to do with him and that contract.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
He's not sheltered, he plays the most minutes at 5 on 5 of any Avs defender. He's got Top 30 stats in basically every category. And if you dove further into the analytics you'd see articles across the league ranking Dmen for Win Shares or Wins above replacement level and see that Girard ranks well inside the Top 30 and quite frankly inside the Top 20, in every single one of those articles. Not to mention he's the best transitional Dman in the league.

By the stats, not only is he a Top 30 Dman, he's actually more like Top 20. But I get that his size hurts him a little compared to most of his peers around him. But saying he isn't Top 30 is just ridiculous. He absolutely is.

You can't use above replacement numbers from last year because those are isolated leagues
you can only use them in division
He wasnt top 30 in Above replacement in 19/20
and he isnt trending to be this year either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad