Rumor: Sam Girard for forward help [ MOD warning # 274 ]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Do you think he could play the right side with OEL playing the most difficult matchups? Myers has been good so far but I feel like that has been more a product of OEL carrying him. If we could get a legit top pairing d man that could play in that role with OEL, our D would be much better.

I’d offer something around Miller for Girard.

To be completely honest it depends on if it’s Girard from last regular season and the year prior or the Girard who showed up in playoffs and has played to start this season. Girard of last season would have been more than capable, but he seems off early on this year.

I think the extra term Girard has adds additional value and Miller tends to be a better wing than center. So I would say the value is still on the Avs side, but a good starting point.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
To Calgary: Girard

To Colorado: Monahan (50% retained), Zadorov

Calgary get a long term upgrade on D

Colorado add a 3C and a bottom pairing Dman to help offset the loss of Girard

Zadorov has been a healthy scratch half the time in Calgary and his scratching set a huge winning streak in place. Monahan hasn’t been the same since surgery. Huge gap in value.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Girard can play the right side, he spent most of last season on the Right Side either on a pairing with Toews, or with Ryan Graves.

That said, he really should be used on the Left Side. Especially for a player who's biggest strength is how quickly and how well he can transition the puck from Defense to Offense, its a lot harder to do that when you're playing on your off side and have to pick up or receive pucks on your back hand. It was part of the reason he struggled in the Vegas series. Being undersized was one thing but being undersized and trying to play his off side against the heavy forecheck Vegas brought just didn't do him any favors at all.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Iafallo would be Colorado's leading scorer. He's already an elite forward defensively and is starting to really hit his stride offensively. I'm not sure I want to trade Iafallo if I'm LA.

I would not give Iafallo+Kempe from Kings point of view for Girard.
He is the last thing Kings are needed at the moment while also spending valuable assets for him.
I totally agree with this quote: "They were highly unhappy how Sam Girard played in the 2nd RD series against Vegas, his turnovers, he didn't produce offensively, he was not good and I think that has lingered on into this season.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
To be completely honest it depends on if it’s Girard from last regular season and the year prior or the Girard who showed up in playoffs and has played to start this season. Girard of last season would have been more than capable, but he seems off early on this year.

I think the extra term Girard has adds additional value and Miller tends to be a better wing than center. So I would say the value is still on the Avs side, but a good starting point.
We could add something like Rathbone who is our best d prospect, and has looked pretty good so far in the NHL. I assume Murray would move up and take Girard’s spot, and Rathbone would slide next to Johnson on the 3rd pair.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I think it’s the logical choice for Colorado. They’re becoming a bit too tilted to the defensive side with their talent.

Honestly, I think the Avs will lose any trade with Sam Girard, but he’s probably the odd one out. Makar and Byram aren’t going anywhere and I think his value is probably higher than Toews because of their contracts. Toews could be the one moved, but ultimately I think it’ll be Girard.

Colorado will be looking for a long term option at 2C, or at the very least a highly productive winger.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Habs have a serious need for offensive left
Ds. What about a trade around Dvorak. Colorado have seen enough of Dvorak in Arizona to know he is better then what he has shown in MTL this year.

This would create a significant hole in the C position which is good for the Habs tank

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
We could add something like Rathbone who is our best d prospect, and has looked pretty good so far in the NHL. I assume Murray would move up and take Girard’s spot, and Rathbone would slide next to Johnson on the 3rd pair.
Rathbone + Miller for Girard + whatever it takes to get Miller at 50% retained i would do in a heartbeat

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I'm not saying it doesn't make logical sense to think about moving Girard, but he'd be a really hard guy to trade. His contract is a steal for the next 7 years through his prime. The Avs would need a guy on a similar deal just as valuable, which is nearly impossible to find. Guys like Zadina, Vilardi etc. are nice pieces, but they do little to solve the Avs problem now. They would need a sure-fire fit to take the 2C role. A guy I think about is Mercer, but he is still too inexperienced. Boone Jenner would be a good fit stylistically, but there would have to be a nice add-on. Maybe in a Malkin deal? Dach? Just a hard trade to figure out.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
I remember last year when delusional avs fans hyped Girard as a top 20 D because he had some inflated stats in a Mickey Mouse division.

Reactions: MessierII and Lays

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Habs have a serious need for offensive left
Ds. What about a trade around Dvorak. Colorado have seen enough of Dvorak in Arizona to know he is better then what he has shown in MTL this year.

This would create a significant hole in the C position which is good for the Habs tank

We've seen enough of Dvorak to know he's not that good.

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
I'm not saying it doesn't make logical sense to think about moving Girard, but he'd be a really hard guy to trade. His contract is a steal for the next 7 years through his prime. The Avs would need a guy on a similar deal just as valuable, which is nearly impossible to find. Guys like Zadina, Vilardi etc. are nice pieces, but they do little to solve the Avs problem now. They would need a sure-fire fit to take the 2C role. A guy I think about is Mercer, but he is still too inexperienced. Boone Jenner would be a good fit stylistically, but there would have to be a nice add-on. Maybe in a Malkin deal? Dach? Just a hard trade to figure out.

Easy no from Chicago and I love Girard. If you wanted to talk Kubalik (with extension)+, that I would listen on. Understand if that is a non-starter, but it would give you an underrated wing that should sign a reasonable contract.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
While Girard for a 2c would be a great fit for the Av's, I just can't see a possible trade fit anywhere. Montreal would be a great fit for Girard but they don't have what we need. Maybe a third team could be involved but I don't know who. Dang Eichel would have been perfect. Ugh

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
He still is a phenomenal, Top ~30 Dman in the league. Would be the #1 on a number of teams tbh.
No, he would not. Good player, elite spin-o-ramas - but posts like this are completely over the top. Girard is not a top 30 dman and any team he is a #1 on is a sad team indeed.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
No, he would not. Good player, elite spin-o-ramas - but posts like this are completely over the top. Girard is not a top 30 dman and any team he is a #1 on is a sad team indeed.

The numbers say otherwise but okay.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Do you think he could play the right side with OEL playing the most difficult matchups? Myers has been good so far but I feel like that has been more a product of OEL carrying him. If we could get a legit top pairing d man that could play in that role with OEL, our D would be much better.

I’d offer something around Miller for Girard.
The Canucks wouldn't even briefly consider that.

In Ekman-Larsson, Hughes, and Rathbone we have 3 players who are somewhat similar to Girard, we have no need for him and if we added him it would completely unbalance our D, despite him obviously being an upgrade on many of our D skill wise.

The fit isn't there.

Dumping Miller for an entirely redundant defence man would be a terrible move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad