Rumor: Sam Girard for forward help [ MOD warning # 274 ]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

teoberto

Mar 13, 2021
Makes too much sense. The Avs beat Vegas last year if they scratched Girard in game 7. With Makar, Byram and Toews... Girard is redundant and a liability. They don't need his secondary offense and suspect D-Zone play. They'd be better off flipping him for forward depth or a cheaper, more defensive-minded D.
I wish there was a game 7…

Reactions: Newusername

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
He still is a phenomenal, Top ~30 Dman in the league. Would be the #1 on a number of teams tbh.

It just so happens that the Avs are one of the only teams in the league with too many top end Dmen(Particularly on the Left Side) and not enough minutes for all of them.

For my money Girard is still our best LD, one bad series against Vegas(Where he still wasn't even close to the worst D on the team or even his pairing for that matter) isn't changing that yet.

But, Byram is proving early on that he's going to be legit and could very, very soon pass Girard on the depth chart.

So it comes down to one of Girard or Toews likely needing to be traded to fill needs elsewhere. And I think the Avs look at Girard with his 5+ years still on his contract... He's the most valuable trade chip of the two and the needs we have(Quality 2nd line Center and Starting goalie) are expensive needs to fill. Hence Girard is possibly available.

No chance Girard is top 30 in the league. Top 30 offensive defensemen sure, but top d men don't need to be sheltered . Undersized, offense first d-men are pretty easy to find in the NHL and most top teams already have one.

Reactions: go4hockey

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
No chance Girard is top 30 in the league. Top 30 offensive defensemen sure, but top d men don't need to be sheltered . Undersized, offense first d-men are pretty easy to find in the NHL and most top teams already have one.
Except he's not an offensive d man. He can play all situations. Only knock on him is his size. As a blues fan you you should know this

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Montreal's biggest weakness is LD. There are a bunch of holes but this is the biggest one. Their biggest strength is easily on the wings.

Both teams underperforming, I could see a framework for a deal.

Toffoli, Drouin, Anderson, Gallagher, Hoffman. Any interest Avs fans?

Reactions: TML1990

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Montreal's biggest weakness is LD. There are a bunch of holes but this is the biggest one. Their biggest strength is easily on the wings.

less then none

Reactions: McJedi

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

God no...

Chambers is a hack.
I would be beyond surprised if he had any type of inside information.
Girard might ultimately get traded due to the emergence of Byram and the need to free up some cap but I highly doubt it will be in-season and certainly not at the current valuation of Girard on hfboards.

As we have seen this offseason with Jones and Risto, quality Ds are worth their weight in gold. And Girard is certainly a young, quality D on a great contract.
And I don't care what people think that have exactly watched the Vegas series (which wasn't great but he was not the only one that disappointed) and not much more.
If there is no young quality #2 C coming our way in return (and I am talking about a guy who can be a legit #2 C on a contender), the Avs should have no interest in trading Girard. I doubt there is a guy like that out there right now.But I also don't expect G to get moved anytime soon so thats fine.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Girard doesn't need to be sheltered, at least not in the regular season. As an Avs fan who has watched plenty of Girard, he's something in between what many people thoughts are. If you want a scouting report:

Last season he looked like a top pairing defenseman and was phenomenal in the regular season, he played his best hockey then. He doesn't need to be sheltered, as he's great at transitioning the puck and underrated defensively for his size. He's deceptively good at disrupting plays and has great hockey IQ on both sides of the ice. Where he falls short is net front battles and retrieving pucks against a heavy forecheck. Surprisingly he isn't bad at board battles, but again at best I would call him average due to his size. He is absolutely elite in transitioning the puck as well as making smart plays, very rarely does he make a poor play. He also developed his offensive game last year and improved his shot (it use to be a muffin, by no means a threat but keeps defenders honest).

The other seasons he looked more like a good #3/4 that could transition the puck and make safe plays. Overall, i'd say he falls in the category that he's a solid #2/3, depending on the team's system and composition. Now for playoffs, there is no question he's had some poor showings. He absolutely got shelled by Vegas who played a very tight system and heavy forecheck, but I do think people are discounting his play against other teams. His play in the playoffs does warrant criticism and you can make an argument he needs to be sheltered in the playoffs, but I will say he still looked like himself against other teams such as Arizona and St. Louis.

I do agree that Girard's value will vary wildly between teams, he's not a defenseman that every team needs or values. But he isn't an offense first defenseman, Spurgeon is a very good comparable (with playoff struggles and all).

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Who would you ideally want as 2C if you were GM?

In a perfect world? Jack Eichel :laugh:

Ignoring needs and value, I think Hertl, Larkin, Horvat, Nylander, Scheifele, Zibanejad...

They would all be great options. But I get that Vancouver has no need for Girard with Hughes already. Zibby just signed an extension so he's not moving, and I'm sure others have valid reasons why they aren't being moved from each fan base.

But, personally I also think Girard carries enough value that he will likely make some guys more available then normal. It's not very often you get a Top Pairing Dman, under 25 years old, signed to a sweetheart contract for 5 additional years still.

I think if he were actually available, a lot of teams would be lining up to get him.

With regards to your Panthers, I'd have interest in Lundell. No idea if he's even remotely available or not but even though he's not a 2C yet I think he will be very soon and would be an excellent fit here behind Mackinnon.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Good thing you didn't describe Girard at all then.

He's the furthest thing from sheltered here in Colorado. Statistically he's been one of our best PKers, and he is one of the best Dmen in the league at transitioning the puck from the Defensuve zone out. A huge, huge part of being good Defensively in todays NHL.

The only part he struggles with is the physical play. He makes up for most of it with his stick work but occasionally he runs into problems with that aspect.

He's not a perfect Dman but basically no Dman is, and the very few in the league that are, are making a hell of a lot more than Girard right now.

Reactions: avsfan3737

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
God no...

Chambers is a hack.
I would be beyond surprised if he had any type of inside information.
Girard might ultimately get traded due to the emergence of Byram and the need to free up some cap but I highly doubt it will be in-season and certainly not at the current valuation of Girard on hfboards.

As we have seen this offseason with Jones and Risto, quality Ds are worth their weight in gold. And Girard is certainly a young, quality D on a great contract.
And I don't care what people think that have exactly watched the Vegas series (which wasn't great but he was not the only one that disappointed) and not much more.
If there is no young quality #2 C coming our way in return (and I am talking about a guy who can be a legit #2 C on a contender), the Avs should have no interest in trading Girard. I doubt there is a guy like that out there right now.But I also don't expect G to get moved anytime soon so thats fine.
It makes sense for Girard to be expandable within the next 6-12 months if Byram continues to improve. They need Newhook to enter his prime quickly if they want a legit 2C... Because Kadri and Jost are not it.

The LD is set... RD is ok.. but the forward group is trash in Colorado and they have no goalie. Defence is a position of strength.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Would be a great fit for Habs.

Wonder if they would be open to moving Guhle. He is promising and will likely be a good player in the NHL, but doesn't really project to be the kind of dynamic puck mover that they need.

Maybe Guhle and Toffoli for Girard.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Not a chance Colorado does this.
I thought it would be more lopsided for Colorado actually but hey, there you go. Only thing we can do is try to come up with even-ish value trade, as neither of us will be the authority regarding what the teams do, and I think my proposal is close enough in terms of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad