Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If we're without a 3C come October, I'm cool with Juice at center for a little while. He can take faceoffs for the 2nd PP and not make our bottom six a relative black hole for awhile. Not sure how much he's PKed in recent years. Might have to play Sid a bit more in that role, which during the regular season I don't like.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Rutherford sounded pretty bullish about ZAR making a case at some point next season.

To be fair, JR was really bullish about Pouliot last summer as well.

I'd love for ZAR and Sprong to force their way onto the team this year. Fresh legs, youthful enthusiasm, hunger and the adrenaline rush of your rookie campaign? Yes please.

I just don't know if it's gonna happen.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I'd love for ZAR and Sprong to force their way onto the team this year. Fresh legs, youthful enthusiasm, hunger and the adrenaline rush of your rookie campaign? Yes please.

JR is like the GM version of Wayne Gretzky, where everyone he talks about he makes sound like a future superstar.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Off topic, but I'm still pretty blown away that the Pens let Kunitz walk. I wouldn't have guessed that would happen in a million years, especially after his game 7 against the Sens and his series against the Preds.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I think they still have faith in him. He worked out hard core with Gary Roberts last summer and camp to camp ripped. Complete opposite of how he looked during the cup celly and beginning of summer. So I think they thought he finally "got it".

As far as ZAR and Sprong go, let's let them ripen in WBS. Don't get in such a hurry.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
What if no one comes along before the season, not even Cullen or another 4C option.

Sheary Sid Horny
Hagelin Malkin Kessel
Wilson Jake Rust
Kuhnhackl/Archibald Rowney Reaves

That is our forwards from last year without anyone new coming in or any prospects in the line up.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sid finally has a winger who can actually score and people are already finding reasons to remove him from Sid's wing.

In doing so, they're also ignoring the fact that, for whatever reason, they don't want to play Hornqvist with Sid. So Sid/Sheary/Hornqvist is not going to be a line.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Off topic, but I'm still pretty blown away that the Pens let Kunitz walk. I wouldn't have guessed that would happen in a million years, especially after his game 7 against the Sens and his series against the Preds.

I was a little surprised too but with the depth at wing (weird to say even now), they couldn't really justify bringing him back (though I guess if they'd flipped Hagelin they would have been tempted.)

Guarantee Shero would have brought him back for a year though.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Jake will get lots of time with Sid, but he does play center too. Why on earth would he not be an option to see some time at center? It's not like he is an old dog and done learning. The time to do it is early in the year.

henkenorrswede

Jul 3, 2017
Josh archibald J-S Dea?

Hello!
Josh Archibald& Jean-Sebastian Dea

I know this 2 guys are off the topic sorry but i cant find any info. about them for next season.
Do they still belong to Penguins organization ?
I cant see that they have signed any contract.. so i was just wondering...
WBS pens already have 14 forwards,,,

I admit i dont know how it works but they cant have more then 13 forwards,,
on their WBS pens roster right ?
OFC its the "waiwers thing " , that i dont understand, how it works .i mean..
:help:

Anyway i wish u all a nice thursday
:)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Jake will get lots of time with Sid, but he does play center too. Why on earth would he not be an option to see some time at center? It's not like he is an old dog and done learning. The time to do it is early in the year.

Because the Pens have brought him up through the ranks at wing? They don't see him as a center, so him playing center would be them playing him in a spot he hasn't really trained to do at the pro level.

Why move him from the wing when you can just slot in a guy like Bluegers and Rowney in the 3C/4C hole for the time being until JR finds a better 3C? Just seems unnecessary to me, especially when the Pens should be good enough that riding two "lesser" bottom six centers shouldn't cost them a shot at the playoffs.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hello!
Josh Archibald& Jean-Sebastian Dea

I know this 2 guys are off the topic sorry but i cant find any info. about them for next season.
Do they still belong to Penguins organization ?
I cant see that they have signed any contract.. so i was just wondering...
WBS pens already have 14 forwards,,,

I admit i dont know how it works but they cant have more then 13 forwards,,
on their WBS pens roster right ?
OFC its the "waiwers thing " , that i dont understand, how it works .i mean..
:help:

Anyway i wish u all a nice thursday
:)

They are currently RFAs but I believe we all fully expect them to sign.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I don't think we're finding excuses for Jake to play away from Sid, but just looking for alternatives if that 3C problem isn't resolved by October. Playing Jake at C is better than running Rowney-Blueger as our bottom six pair.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Moving Jake away from Sid, especially to play 3C, is absurd. That's one of the only combos that should forever be a lock on this team moving forward.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think we're finding excuses for Jake to play away from Sid, but just looking for alternatives if that 3C problem isn't resolved by October. Playing Jake at C is better than running Rowney-Blueger as our bottom six pair.

honestly, I don't agree. We can get by with a lesser 3C for the sake of keeping that top line as strong as possible.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
honestly, I don't agree. We can get by with a lesser 3C for the sake of keeping that top line as strong as possible.

100% agreed.

Keeping Guentzel with Crosby pretty much guarantees that top line will be dominant, while Rust/Hornqvist flanking Bluegers should be decent enough to get by. That's worth more than having a downgraded first line just so the third line can be a bit better.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Moving Jake away from Sid, especially to play 3C, is absurd. That's one of the only combos that should forever be a lock on this team moving forward.

This is the kind of response I got in 2016 when I suggested we play Kessel on the 3rd line. Guentzel is eventually going to be a $6M player. When it comes time, I'd rather have him running his own line than stacking $15M between 2 forwards on the top line.

Not saying that's what should happen but it's an option that should be looked at. If we can kill other teams with depth, why not?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Fair enough - but its not like there's no signs that he could play a part.

How many highly touted College guys play an NHL part in their first season/don't?

Is JR's last option to play one of ZAR as 3C?

Wait, we've got two of them? ;)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
This is the kind of response I got in 2016 when I suggested we play Kessel on the 3rd line. Guentzel is eventually going to be a $6M player. When it comes time, I'd rather have him running his own line than stacking $15M between 2 forwards on the top line. And as Jake starts to get expensive Crosby will likely be starting to slow down and actually need some help

Not saying that's what should happen but it's an option that should be looked at. If we can kill other teams with depth, why not?

Kessel and Jake are very different players. Kessel is a guy who has carried his own line for years. Guentzel works ridiculously well with Sid. There's nothing wrong with playing too expensive players together as long as they work well together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad