Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have cap room going forward to sign Jake. But at some point, Sprong, Reese have to emerge into top 6 forwards. Hags will be gone and I don't think Hornqvist can hold up to justify a longer term extension. I see Kessel as a trade asset in three years. His cash salary at 6 million with a offset of 1.2 million is certainly attractive if he is still a good offensive winger. As such those moves for picks or prospects are needed to add to the transition to adding younger talent.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
This is the kind of response I got in 2016 when I suggested we play Kessel on the 3rd line. Guentzel is eventually going to be a $6M player. When it comes time, I'd rather have him running his own line than stacking $15M between 2 forwards on the top line.

Not saying that's what should happen but it's an option that should be looked at. If we can kill other teams with depth, why not?

I don't think it's like Kessel on the third line at all. Jake and Sid are stellar together, and while I don't expect Jake to keep up a nearly PPG pace, I expect the two of them to continue to be fantastic. Kessel was our only skilled wing at the time, and we were nearly a decade into seeing Sid/Geno make do with less than stellar wingers. The way HBK worked out later on in the season and through the playoffs was phenomenal, but it didn't make sense starting that summer. Starting Kessel away from Sid or Geno in the name of depth was the wrong choice. JR filled out the roster throughout the year, but at the start we had a pretty dismal top-6 without Kessel.

We don't even know what JR has planned for the 3C position yet. We don't know who he's got targeted, who his backup plans are, etc. I would be floored if we went into the season without JR adding someone at 3C.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This is the kind of response I got in 2016 when I suggested we play Kessel on the 3rd line. Guentzel is eventually going to be a $6M player. When it comes time, I'd rather have him running his own line than stacking $15M between 2 forwards on the top line.

Not saying that's what should happen but it's an option that should be looked at. If we can kill other teams with depth, why not?

The difference is Kessel didn't exactly have huge chemistry with Sid or Geno right off the bat, so trying him on line 3 made some sense. Crosby and Guentzel click. And we have enough depth up front that there is zero reason to move Guentzel from Sid's line (unlike the lack of depth when Kessel first arrived).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd be alright with JR going into the season without a true 3C if he brings in a stopgap guy that he can put on the 4th line when he actually brings in the 3C. A guy like Jokinen would be really nice for that, play him as the 3C until you bring in your actual 3C and then make him your 4C.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Kessel and Jake are very different players. Kessel is a guy who has carried his own line for years. Guentzel works ridiculously well with Sid. There's nothing wrong with playing too expensive players together as long as they work well together

Yeah, there's a lot of top lines with a big cap number out there. I'd prefer to keep them together too, but with Jake on the left and PH on the right. If we need to send Sheary out in a trade due to cap or need, that helps bolster LW depth and makes room for Sprong to stay on the right.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd be alright with JR going into the season without a true 3C if he brings in a stopgap guy that he can put on the 4th line when he actually brings in the 3C. A guy like Jokinen would be really nice for that, play him as the 3C until you bring in your actual 3C and then make him your 4C.

that's my expectation if we can't get who we want at 3C in the summer.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
It's dissatisfying to have no 3C on the roster, but it's really nice to see a third line with Hagelin and Hornqvist.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It's dissatisfying to have no 3C on the roster, but it's really nice to see a third line with Hagelin and Hornqvist.

Agreed.

Who would have thought 3 years ago that our wing depth would be this good?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
that's my expectation if we can't get who we want at 3C in the summer.

I thought we played the majority of last season pretty much without a decent 3C and see where we ended up.

if nothing panes out in the first few months, JR will bring either Bozak or Kadri;)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Agreed.

Who would have thought 3 years ago that our wing depth would be this good?

if I told you 2 years ago right after adding Kessel that we'd have a winger lead the league in playoff goals in a Cup run, what are the odds you'd believe me if I said it wasn't Kessel :laugh:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
But they love Domi in the Desert...why does Arizona do it?

Not sure they would, but they are adding Tocchet who loves Phil. Sheary is a young scoring LW and it would probably depend on the last piece. Pouliot, Dipauli, Bleuger...

Just a thought

I like my deal a lot better than the Duchene or Staal deals I've seen here.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
What roster spot do the Penguins even have for another defenseman?

Yeah something like that only makes sense if we are moving someone like Maatta in a separate bigger deal. We have more than enough bodies already and too many that have to go through waivers for it to make sense to add more without it being a replacement.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Jake needs some more experience and add some strength before he becomes our 3rd C. If he does. Right now there's no reason to move him. Took ten years for Crosby to finally have a solid winger(more than just a rental)

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
And we are going for a 3peat..already lost a handful of players..don't know why some want to gut the team even more. Keep the rest of these guys together...add a few more(who haven't won yet) and go for the 3peat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad