Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Going to sound odd but if Cullen comes back could he be an option at 3C?

Why not? There were many nights last season when he was the third-best center, at least. Including a few in the playoffs, too.

I am starting to wonder if JR places a call to Mike Fisher to see if he wants to pull a reverse-Bonino? Or, does JR have to call Carrie for that?
:D

I could get on board with this. Especially if he's willing to do a 1yr, 6-700k deal.

I think it depends on their play and who is getting hurt.

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Rust-Geno-Kessel
Hags-3C-Horny
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

You still have Kuhnhackl and Archibald. In all liklihood, if a top 6 guy gets hurt they shift around, stick Wilson up, and put in Kuhn or Archi. If it's a bottom 6 guy, they just plug Kuhn or Archi in.

If 3 get hurt, then you may see one of them called up.

I will be absolutely stunned if we don't place at least one of Kuhnhackl or Archibald on waivers in October or earlier, and even more surprised if they clear. Shocked.

I think when the season opens, one of Sprong/Aston-Reese will be one roster move away from getting a call-up, not two.

What roster spot do the Penguins even have for another defenseman?

The only one available would come following a trade involving one of our defensemen. Otherwise, it just makes no sense.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I think anyone we put on waivers will be snapped up purely because some team will think they are bringing that midas touch with them.

I'll be pissed if we do lose Kuhn or Josh :(

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
really though, don't trade Kessel. The guy has the most goals and is one point behind Sid and Geno for most points over the two Cup runs. And he adds flexibility of having a legit scoring 3rd line or being a great top 6 winger. Don't trade that guy.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
IF Tocchet goes to Arizona do the following

Kessel + Sheary+ a sweetner

For

Domi + a young C which they have a couple, + pick

Holy yikes. There is almost no thought into this post. Does Arizona want to spend around 10m on 2 guys? No. Do they want to keep Domi? Yes. Neither team does this. :laugh: This isn't NHL 2018.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
really though, don't trade Kessel. The guy has the most goals and is one point behind Sid and Geno for most points over the two Cup runs. And he adds flexibility of having a legit scoring 3rd line or being a great top 6 winger. Don't trade that guy.

I get the feeling that Phil comes with an expiration date no matter who he goes to. Better trade him at a peak rather than a valley.

And I for one love me some fatty.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Kessel on a third line with good center is such an advantage on match ups. But I also think he will be moved down the road for assets that fit the building mode. Pens can win cups the next few years all things being equal. I agree kessel will be moved at some point. Especially in three years with a net 4.8 million in salary left for the next two.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
ok, then I'm going to adamantly disagree with making moves based off of it.

Well that wasn't the main reason for the move if you read my previous post.

Gets a wing for Sid that would be Kunitz +++++ in my opinion.

Domi - Sid - Jake could be best line in hockey
Rust- Geno- Sprong simply hot stuff
Hags- AZ C- Horny
Wilson- Rowney - Reeves

Yea, my lineup is beating your (board) lineup and it provides cap relief

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Any mooted deal that doesn't involve Kessel going to a team likely to be on his list is inherently ridiculous.

Waits for someone to take the set up.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
If this all falls apart (which, it won't, but since we're doing wild hypotheticals...,), I wouldn't be surprised if the Penguins have a couple of internal options in mind with Rowney as the third line center.

Specifically Scott Wilson and Dominik Simon. Wilson was a center at UMass-Lowell and began his pro career at center. He was moved to wing because the Pens had nothing at wing and still had Brandon Sutter on the third line. It paid off because Wilson produced and then was able to get an NHL call-up when Kunitz got hurt in 2014-15. But with the logjam at wing, Wilson might be open to a move back.

As for Simon, he's been a center his entire career. He started playing more wing last year and his production dipped. He's already a solid playmaker and a decent two-way player. An opportunity at his more natural position of center is intriguing.

That said, the Pens will have a third line center by August. I'm sure of it.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Any mooted deal that doesn't involve Kessel going to a team likely to be on his list is inherently ridiculous.

Waits for someone to take the set up.

Kessel would go to AZ with Tocc and the available golf in the area.... not sure about their hot dogs though

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well that wasn't the main reason for the move if you read my previous post.

Gets a wing for Sid that would be Kunitz +++++ in my opinion.

Domi - Sid - Jake could be best line in hockey
Rust- Geno- Sprong simply hot stuff
Hags- AZ C- Horny
Wilson- Rowney - Reeves

Yea, my lineup is beating your (board) lineup and it provides cap relief

my line-up isn't finished yet.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Let me know when it is so we can compare:popcorn:

Question though.... what is your opinion with my lineup?
Traded a better player for two less good players. On one hand it makes us deeper, but on the other it got rid of the best option we have for turning the 3rd line into a legit scoring line. Though really it's hard to say without knowing who that 3C is and what we do with any saved cap space. But if we assume Sheary can return a similar quality 3C all on his own, I think your team is a pretty clear downgrade in the short term.

regardless, it's impossible. Phil says no.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The Pittsburgh Penguins are not trading Phil Kessel.

Period. End of story. Fin.

Mark Madden wrote about Rick Tocchet, the Kessel Whisperer, because it's July 6 and the Pirates suck. Madden and Tocchet go way back. A column about Tocchet's relationship with Kessel only helps Tocchet's case as a prospective NHL head coach.

But it doesn't mean Kessel is trade bait.

In fact, you know what Kessel's reaction will likely be if Tocchet gets hired? "Damn, that sucks. Rick and I really worked well together. Cool that he gets to be a head coach. Wonder who Sully and JR have in mind to join the staff."

And that's it. No tantrum. No pouting. It's called being professional, something that Kessel has been his entire NHL career. Does having Tocchet on the staff help? Sure. I bet Kessel isn't the only one who connects with Tocchet. That doesn't make Tocchet a magician and it doesn't mean that his theoretical replacement won't have similar qualities.

I thought the pessimism in the playoffs was unbearable, but the lack of offseason moves through July 6 has clearly turned some people into nutcases.

KESSEL IS NOT BEING TRADED.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We'll know a Hell of a lot more about the lineup, especially the 3C position, when one or both of these things is resolved: Dumo/Sheary's arbitration hearings, and Duchene's status in Colorado.

JR is probably waiting to see how the arbitration shakes out with those two guys, and I'm certain he's keeping an eye on the Duchene situation in the meantime. Even if Duchene isn't moved, I think he's likely going to trade a winger for the 3C spot, and Sheary's the one that makes the most sense as an asset and in terms of value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad