Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Two wings need to go if ZAR and Sprong are to play with the big club this season.

Which two?

And its pretty widely held that while both could make the team at some point, it wont be at season start and not till one of them absolutely plays themselves onto the roster or we have a bunch of wings go down and they get their shot.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
There's a chance Sprong forces the team's hand out of camp/pre-season, but I don't think ZAR is really even worth talking about at the NHL level.

I still think Sprong spends half a season in WBS, at least. Everything I've read about ZAR lately says he has essentially no chance of making it this season, which is fine. Even if neither make the jump to the NHL this season, we're not exactly hurting for wingers. Let them develop correctly, there's zero need to rush 'em.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
There's a chance Sprong forces the team's hand out of camp/pre-season, but I don't think ZAR is really even worth talking about at the NHL level.

I still think Sprong spends half a season in WBS, at least. Everything I've read about ZAR lately says he has essentially no chance of making it this season, which is fine. Even if neither make the jump to the NHL this season, we're not exactly hurting for wingers. Let them develop correctly, there's zero need to rush 'em.

Where are you getting this from???? Everything I heard at the Prospects camp from media via Pens officials stated that ZAR is on track to being in Pittsburgh by mid season.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You aren't saying that we'll have less than two forwards injured at any given time of the season are you? That's way too bold of a prediction for my taste! :laugh:

Great minds think alike.

Though to be fair I am given to understand now that the Pens have signed Reaves no one will even dare to check a Pens' player ever again.

So with that in mind the injuries might lessen a little. Not entirely but some.

PittPen

Oct 1, 2010
I wouldn't want to see this, but I wonder if the team sees Guentzel as a 3C option.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Obvious candidates to walk if and when Sprong and ZAR are ready: Hagelin, Wilson, Hornqvist, Kuhnhackl.

Horny I don't see going anywhere this year, but if ZAR establishes himself I could see us letting him walk in FA. Rutherford has already said he sees ZAR as a younger version of Hornqvist.

Opening Night 2017
Guentzel Crosby Sheary
Rust Malkin Kessel
Hagelin 3C Hornqvist
Wilson Rowney Reaves
Kuhnhackl

Opening Night 2018
Guentzel Crosby Sheary
Rust Malkin Kessel
ZAR 3C Sprong
Wilson Bleuger Reaves
Rowney

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Going to sound odd but if Cullen comes back could he be an option at 3C?

We would need to monitor his minutes but if you take out the PP minutes their isn't a huge jump between what Bonino and Cullen played last year. You are looking at what 80 seconds difference per game? If we could trim his PK time back some and allow him to concentrate on 5v5 play it might work.

Does mean we would need to sign a 4C because we would need another reliable PK and FO guy other than Rowney to pickup those minutes.

PittPen

Oct 1, 2010
Although it was for a short while, Jussi Jokinen played well here as a center. Maybe offer him a PTO for that 4C role if everything else falls through?

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Great minds think alike.

Though to be fair I am given to understand now that the Pens have signed Reaves no one will even dare to check a Pens' player ever again.

So with that in mind the injuries might lessen a little. Not entirely but some.

As long as he injuries an opposing player for every player we lose it's all good ;)

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

We would need to monitor his minutes but if you take out the PP minutes their isn't a huge jump between what Bonino and Cullen played last year. You are looking at what 80 seconds difference per game? If we could trim his PK time back some and allow him to concentrate on 5v5 play it might work.

Does mean we would need to sign a 4C because we would need another reliable PK and FO guy other than Rowney to pickup those minutes.

I think Cullen could 3C, but that's asking a lot of a 41 year old who has played as much as he has the last couple years.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA

I think Cullen could 3C, but that's asking a lot of a 41 year old who has played as much as he has the last couple years.

Can see it happening to at least start the season to be honest, especially if GMJR is trying to wear down Saiic for Duchene.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

I'd be happy with that, then look to upgrade come the deadline. The only problem would come is if Sid or Geno got hurt, but then you'd probably look at sliding Guentzel back to centre.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Where are you getting this from???? Everything I heard at the Prospects camp from media via Pens officials stated that ZAR is on track to being in Pittsburgh by mid season.

JR said both are tracking well and he prefers both to take the Guentzel route of at least a half if not full season in the AHL. Injuries will dictate some of this, but I don't see any rush for either.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

If there isn't a great trade option out there and IF he wants to come back, that's a good short term solution. But that needs to be short term. Cully is in great shape, but playing the guy 18 minutes a night for 82 games isn't ideal.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
If there isn't a great trade option out there and IF he wants to come back, that's a good short term solution. But that needs to be short term. Cully is in great shape, but playing the guy 18 minutes a night for 82 games isn't ideal.

He wouldn't have to play 18 minutes. Bonino only played 16.4 minutes last year. If you took the 1.4 minutes of PP time Bonino away and let Cullen do the 5v5 and PK its 15 minutes (only a minute more than last year for Cullen). And we could nudge that down further if we can get other guys to take some of his PK time.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

I'm wondering if JR doesn't offer Cullen more money this year since we need him more and have more cap space. Cullen has made a boatload in his career, but these guys are prideful, and if he's on the fence, an extra mil might tip the balance.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm wondering if JR doesn't offer Cullen more money this year since we need him more and have more cap space. Cullen has made a boatload in his career, but these guys are prideful, and if he's on the fence, an extra mil might tip the balance.

I'd be okay with that pending Sheary and Dumo extensions and whatever else he has brewing at 3C.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He wouldn't have to play 18 minutes. Bonino only played 16.4 minutes last year. If you took the 1.4 minutes of PP time Bonino away and let Cullen do the 5v5 and PK its 15 minutes (only a minute more than last year for Cullen). And we could nudge that down further if we can get other guys to take some of his PK time.

Bonino played that many minutes with Cullen behind him. I don't want Rowney playing much over 12 minutes and I'd prefer to save Sid and Geno as much as possible.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'd be okay with that pending Sheary and Dumo extensions and whatever else he has brewing at 3C.

Right, I'm more and more thinking the 3C won't be a big cap hit player, and/or Sheary will go the other way. But yeah, I'm fine with giving Cully a bonus if we have the cap.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Right, I'm more and more thinking the 3C won't be a big cap hit player, and/or Sheary will go the other way. But yeah, I'm fine with giving Cully a bonus if we have the cap.

Yup that could be. I'd gladly give Cullen 1.5MM base with 1MM in bonuses if we can swing it. He's definitely earned more.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Although it was for a short while, Jussi Jokinen played well here as a center. Maybe offer him a PTO for that 4C role if everything else falls through?

I could get on board with this. Especially if he's willing to do a 1yr, 6-700k deal.

Two injuries need and will happen before Sprong and ZAR are called up (probably moe than 2 in the case of ZAR).

I think it depends on their play and who is getting hurt.

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Rust-Geno-Kessel
Hags-3C-Horny
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

You still have Kuhnhackl and Archibald. In all liklihood, if a top 6 guy gets hurt they shift around, stick Wilson up, and put in Kuhn or Archi. If it's a bottom 6 guy, they just plug Kuhn or Archi in.

If 3 get hurt, then you may see one of them called up.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Rutherford sounded pretty bullish about ZAR making a case at some point next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad