Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
When JR hinted at adding center depth i wonder if Johnson is who he was talking about.

He wouldn't help the pens this year, but it adds depth to the organization.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Maybe they already have the solution internally for 3rd C.

Could be, but JR probably isn't taking any chances.

Maybe he can't find the right deal by Oct and he lets Rowney, Blueger and possibly Simon battle it out, but that's not likely.

Blueger has the best chance to be an impact third line pivot, as he does everything you want out of that position, but his biggest and only real drawback is his finishing. That may be the difference between him being a fourth line pivot or a third line pivot in the NHL.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
This is my thinking also and posted that on the Reaves thread. One thing you can say about JR is he does not just fill a need with a bandaid type approach. The examples I gave was when JR first got here he saw the team lacked a net front presence and toughness and he got one of the best in the game for that in Hornqvist. JR saw he needed to replace that shot of Neal on the Malkin line so he gets one of the best in Kessel. JR saw that Sullivan wanted to play a fast forechecking game when he took over as coach so he got the fastest skater in the game who is known as one of the best forcheckers. JR saw we had a need for a hard checking intimidating presence that could play a regular shift and he got the best in Reaves. I truely believe JR wanted Duchene or someone like him because he wants HBK type scoring and did not get that this year from Bonino. JR wants at least a 2C for that spot.

That always made sense to me because with the amount of games either Geno or Sid miss every year the 3rd center has to be 2nd line quality usually for weeks at a time. He wants to make it so if one of the big 2 centers get hurt it wont hurt like it would hurt if we had a jabroni backing them up if they should get hurt

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
That always made sense to me because with the amount of games either Geno or Sid miss every year the 3rd center has to be 2nd line quality usually for weeks at a time. He wants to make it so if one of the big 2 centers get hurt it wont hurt like it would hurt if we had a jabroni backing them up if they should get hurt

We do have Kessel to run a line if Sid or Geno gets hurt. He carries the puck and is an excellent playmaker. When don't necessarily need a 2C but if one comes at a good price then so be it.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think the Pens liked Bonino but the fourth year was an issue. Pens may also think he is not going to hold up over that term. Blocked shots, smart possession center and Ok speed is fine but if he physically declines due to the toll of being on the Pk and going into corners ect, the Pens may just not think that works. Bozak works due to one year contract and his need to have a good year.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Liked Marchy ever since his tampa days. At 750k and a player who can play wing and Centre, he would be a nice get. But it would be for only one year as he will cash in. So i wouldn't give up Sheary for him. Throw a few picks at Vegas. But i don't see them trading him. They need a few good players.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
The tweet the pens sent out said he played all forward positions, i dunno where the pens see him playing.

I see. Well, he's probably not going to be an NHL center if he didn't play it exclusively in college, and he might not even be an AHL center. That's fine, but either way I doubt this guy has anything to do with the hole at C. Good depth though and could end up helping the 3rd or 4th line in a pinch this year or next.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I see. Well, he's probably not going to be an NHL center if he didn't play it exclusively in college, and he might not even be an AHL center. That's fine, but either way I doubt this guy has anything to do with the hole at C. Good depth though and could end up helping the 3rd or 4th line in a pinch this year or next.

Yup. Usually position versatility means you are a winger, since it's a less demanding position to learn at the pro level. I doubt this guy is all that high on the call up list, unless they see him as a center.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Johnson has versatility, which is a nice touch. Means he could be plugged into a line up where ever needed up front. I have to think he is destined for WBS this year.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think in Sheary's case, it makes some sense. In Dumoulin's case I don't think it does. Sheary has nothing to lose really. His case is good, but it has huge holes in it. The reason why Sheary is smart seeing it t hrough is an arbitration is very statistics orientated, and when you look at his stats, he's a pretty productive player.

On the flip side, if you look at Dumoulin's stats, probably not a real productive player on paper, but when you watch him play, he's a tremendously productive player. Dumoulin is getting paid either way. The Pens are going to try to squeeze Sheary.

I'd personally trade Sheary. I don't see the point of him here long term, and what happened in the playoffs with him is exactly what I feared would happen.

Are they trying to squeeze him? What if they just have very big differences on what's fair? What if Sheary is looking at his 70pt pace and looking for 3.75-4.5m on a 2-3 year deal while Pittsburgh is looking at him at 3m on a 1 yr deal?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If only we trade for Jonathan Marchessault from Vegas. A guy can dream.

Yea he's been someone I've been eyeballing forever.

Marchessault for DP51?? :)

Liked Marchy ever since his tampa days. At 750k and a player who can play wing and Centre, he would be a nice get. But it would be for only one year as he will cash in. So i wouldn't give up Sheary for him. Throw a few picks at Vegas. But i don't see them trading him. They need a few good players.

Marchessault hasn't really played center in the NHL, though.

He has been mostly a left-winger, and has also played some right wing. With Columbus he only appeared in two NHL games, and I think he was a LW/C in their organization.

I don't think he is an answer for 3C.

He won't sniff a minute at the center position on that team, that's for sure.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is often the most likely one.

The Pens had hoped they could finalize contracts with Dumoulin and Sheary prior to making a trade for a center. They know what's being asked in the deal, but they need to have the Dumoulin and Sheary deals done before they can commit.

That's why Rutherford has said he's had multiple talks, why a trade is most likely, and why he said deals are on hold unless something changes with one of the teams he's talked to.

Once Dumoulin and Sheary sign, I bet a few things fall into place.

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
Are they trying to squeeze him? What if they just have very big differences on what's fair? What if Sheary is looking at his 70pt pace and looking for 3.75-4.5m on a 2-3 year deal while Pittsburgh is looking at him at 3m on a 1 yr deal?
I think you have the right of it. I really don't want to pay Sheary like he's a 70 point player with term, and I doubt JR does either. I don't think his playoff struggles are temporary, no matter how gangbusters he is in the regular season. He's a guy I'd be open to moving for a young, impact 3C.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Occam's razor: The simplest answer is often the most likely one.

The Pens had hoped they could finalize contracts with Dumoulin and Sheary prior to making a trade for a center. They know what's being asked in the deal, but they need to have the Dumoulin and Sheary deals done before they can commit.

That's why Rutherford has said he's had multiple talks, why a trade is most likely, and why he said deals are on hold unless something changes with one of the teams he's talked to.

Once Dumoulin and Sheary sign, I bet a few things fall into place.

I was thinking this as well. Would totally make sense that a trade would be pending the signing of one of these guys to send them out in a trade (or to make Maatta available :naughty:)

I also feel that Cullen is coming back for one more year but his salary may be dependent on what Dumo and Sheary are making and/or who we trade for and what their salaries add up to. If he was going to retire he would have announced it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad