Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Didn't see it mentioned, but one important thing about players filing for arbitration is that we cannot trade them while arbitration is pending. So, for the time being at least Sheary is off all such scenarios. I forget if there are any trade restrictions post-arbitration? CBA-experts?

Then.... 30 guys asked for arbitration. How to interpret those guys not asking for arbitration? Ie. William Karlsson from Vegas for instance...

One could say that he does not have the numbers or history for arbitration to be really favorable to him. One could also assume that he would actually prefer to be traded to a better team and asking for arbitration would jeopardize that option.
One could also say that I'd like to see Karlsson as our 3C and that I am pathetically making up scenarios that sort of maybe play to that end....

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Didn't see it mentioned, but one important thing about players filing for arbitration is that we cannot trade them while arbitration is pending. So, for the time being at least Sheary is off all such scenarios. I forget if there are any trade restrictions post-arbitration? CBA-experts?

Then.... 30 guys asked for arbitration. How to interpret those guys not asking for arbitration? Ie. William Karlsson from Vegas for instance...

One could say that he does not have the numbers or history for arbitration to be really favorable to him. One could also assume that he would actually prefer to be traded to a better team and asking for arbitration would jeopardize that option.
One could also say that I'd like to see Karlsson as our 3C and that I am pathetically making up scenarios that sort of maybe play to that end....

:laugh: Well if so, well done. I feel like I'm in the mind of Karlsson now and I believe you. He's practically demanding a trade to the Pens with that decision.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How long does the arbitration process take? When would be the earliest we'd hear what the arbitrator decided on these two players?

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
How long does the arbitration process take? When would be the earliest we'd hear what the arbitrator decided on these two players?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If my memory serves me right I think they are all mostly last week of july and 1st week of august.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Sheary for Sissons and Gaudreau. Make it happen JR.

Jake-Sid-Horny
Wilson-Geno-Kessel
Hags-Sissons-Rust
Kuhn-Gaudreau-Reaves
Rowney-Archie

We would also carry an extra 6-7 million into the season giving us the ability to do anything at the deadline.

You bring in two young cheap center that were so close to victory. Think those two will be hungry? Plus you add Sprong and ZAR + another defenseman and a center at the deadline. Let's say Stasney and Bieksa.

Playoff Lineup
Jake-Sid-Horny
Rust-Geno-Sprong
ZAR-Stasney-Kessel
Hagelin-Sissons-Reaves
Wilson-Gaudreau-Rowney

Dumo-Tang
Maata-Bieksa
Cole-Schultz
Hunwick-Ruhl

Not trading Sheary for a 10 point center and a so-so prospect, that would be really bad asset management.

I have no interest in Bieksa either, maybe 5 years ago, but not now.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Not trading Sheary for a 10 point center and a so-so prospect, that would be really bad asset management.

Maybe a pick is involved and make Bieksa anybody. The point is this would open up a lot for you later.

Also, Sissons had 12 points in the playoffs, so....

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Leafs fan on main board was cool with Sheary+1st+2nd for JVR+Bozak. We add some size up front who can play in our system and a 3C familiar with Phil. Leafs flip some or all of that for a D.

JVR could be re-signed as a younger net presence option if PH wants too much term.

Suck it NHL.
Holy mother. Not realistic with the cap, unless we dumped someone else. But that trade would be incredible. Even if just for one year, that lineup would sizzle.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I have to say that, while I get that wingers are worth less than centres, and that there is a certain amount of doubt on Sheary's true long term performance levels, I do feel people are being a little cavalier in suggesting trading a potentially elite winger for guys who've proved little themselves and don't have huge ceilings.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The thing is that people are assuming that centres will "start" moving.

Cullen was pulled out of retirement by Rutherford based on a previous cup wing.

Bonino was acquired because a new GM paid a ransom for a player he wanted.

Eric Fehr was coming off major surgery that sidelined him until December.

These aren't the deals you "expect" to happen.

No, but there's 30 players that went to arbitration. That alone could shake things loose - especially for a team like Detroit.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Maybe a pick is involved and make Bieksa anybody. The point is this would open up a lot for you later.

Also, Sissons had 12 points in the playoffs, so....

I'm not convinced his playoff performance wasn't a fluke. It's a pretty big risk​ to take.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

Karlsson didn't file because he's not an RFA until next season.

He has a $1 million cap hit for 2017-18.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Arbitration isn't some annual event. Like, only one guy actually makes it to a hearing every couple of years. Even then, they usually come to terms before the ruling is handed down. I can't remember the last time a player had their contract determined by an arbiter.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
What would Dylan Larkin cost us for 3C ?

Guentzel. Possibly plus Sprong.

Sophomore slump notwithstanding, the Wings view him as a franchise center in the making, with some justification. They don't change hands in year 3 unless there's a problem or a massive "overpayment."

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Leafs fan on main board was cool with Sheary+1st+2nd for JVR+Bozak. We add some size up front who can play in our system and a 3C familiar with Phil. Leafs flip some or all of that for a D.

JVR could be re-signed as a younger net presence option if PH wants too much term.

Guentzel-Sid-PH
Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Rust-Rowney-Reaves

Suck it NHL.

That's an awful deal for the Penguins, Sheary is more valuable than JVR and a 1st and 2nd is more valuable than Bozak.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I could see Sheary getting to arbitration but I think they'll lock Dumoulin up well before then. Anyone know how many players JR has let go to arbitration?

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I think JR is only going to trade for a bonifide option at 3C. I'm not sure young and relatively unproven is his route.

Im definitely interested to see what happens, though.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I could see Sheary getting to arbitration but I think they'll lock Dumoulin up well before then. Anyone know how many players JR has let go to arbitration?

I think in Sheary's case, it makes some sense. In Dumoulin's case I don't think it does. Sheary has nothing to lose really. His case is good, but it has huge holes in it. The reason why Sheary is smart seeing it t hrough is an arbitration is very statistics orientated, and when you look at his stats, he's a pretty productive player.

On the flip side, if you look at Dumoulin's stats, probably not a real productive player on paper, but when you watch him play, he's a tremendously productive player. Dumoulin is getting paid either way. The Pens are going to try to squeeze Sheary.

I'd personally trade Sheary. I don't see the point of him here long term, and what happened in the playoffs with him is exactly what I feared would happen.

With Lupul and Horton going on LTIR, the leafs still have space to acquire 1 more big piece. If they signed Markov they could do some serious damage.

They have to be at t he cap to start the season though, then they can put guys on LTIR.

Holy mother. Not realistic with the cap, unless we dumped someone else. But that trade would be incredible. Even if just for one year, that lineup would sizzle.

Hagelin. Problem solved. Team is significantly better.

Arbitration isn't some annual event. Like, only one guy actually makes it to a hearing every couple of years. Even then, they usually come to terms before the ruling is handed down. I can't remember the last time a player had their contract determined by an arbiter.

I think I remember Spaling going to arbitration, but I can't recall if he signed or his salary was ruled on.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
we haven't even finished signing our RFAs yet. You don't think we might be holding off on a trade until we know how much cap space we have?

Especially if it is a big splash like Duchene, got to get the maths right.

So remember my idea to acquire Galchenyuk? Yeah, no.

$4.9 million is too much for a guy we don't even know can play center for us.

If this contract was designed to make Galchenyuk more attractive to trading partners, well I don't think it is going to work.

Onto the next target.

And it leaves him a UFA at the end. He could end up being an expensive success, or failure at that cap hit

Hearings start July 20 until August 4 and I do believe the verdict is returned within 48 hours. No idea where Dumo and Hobbit are on the schedule.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
I'm not convinced his playoff performance wasn't a fluke. It's a pretty big risk​ to take.

Maybe it's Sissons and a second or a decent prospect. Either way, it would set us up nicely for the deadline and address the current issue. Maybe it's Hagelin and not Sheary. I just like the idea of Sissons there and how much he costs, or doesn't cost.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
From what I remember, (and I'm not an agent or a sports lawyer, just an observer), arbitration usually just serves as a way for players to pressure the team into making a decision quickly and vice versa. It seems like it used to be a more serious thing a few CBAs ago because the players could use it to force UFA status early, but I always had the impression that the cap and a younger UFA ages cut down the usefulness of arbitration on both sides.

But I could be very wrong about this. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad