Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

The more time that passes the less likely a deal or acquisition of any substance is going to occur. Partly because fewer and fewer good players are on the board, partly because it means whatever we're offering is not working for other teams at that time. Partly because it's just more likely that we make a small splash than a big one.

Nothing's for sure though. Duchene and some other good players still out there. Just not holding my breath at this point, based on past experience.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Salary cap meet mpp9, mpp9 meet salary cup. No way we can take on their salary.

We have room as is for a 4 mil 3C. Sheary is gonna be pushing 3-4. You could make room. Leafs can retain salary since they're both pending UFAs. Or we could dump Hagelin if necessary.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The more time that passes the less likely a deal or acquisition of any substance is going to occur. Partly because fewer and fewer good players are on the board, partly because it means whatever we're offering is not working for other teams at that time. Partly because it's just more likely that we make a small splash than a big one.

Nothing's for sure though. Duchene and some other good players still out there. Just not holding my breath at this point, based on past experience.

Remember, Cullen didn't sign until August each of the last two years. We didn't trade for Bonino or sign Fehr until July 28th. Also, we might be the ones holding things up while we wait to see what Dumo and Sheary cost.

I don't think things are any different now than they were a few days ago. And unless something changes (Duchene traded, Sheary/Dumo signed) other than the date, things won't be any different a week from now.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I would suggest people not f5 until October. :laugh: When something happens, the thread will move slow enough. You won't miss a darn thing. If you hear about it and log on, we will be on page 1 or 2.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I guess the counter argument is that as other teams fill their rosters there's less competition for a trade. That being said, I don't think they're looking at someone like Duchene because they're not in a position to afford it.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
On the main board I floated the idea of Pouliot and a 2nd for Soderberg with 1.25m retained and had general agreement.

PIT
Carl Soderberg @3.5m (1.25m retained) for 3 years

COL
2nd
Derrick Pouliot

I think the 2nd for Soderberg is fair, and adding Pouliot, who has no future here, buys the cap retention for 3 years. Soderberg was awful last season like most of the Avs, but before that he was a more productive player than Bonino, with size, speed and good defensive instincts. Jordan Staal lite.

This is the deal I want to see happen, rather than subtracting from our roster elsewhere to go big game hunting for Duchene, Staal, Bozak etc.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I would suggest people not f5 until October. :laugh: When something happens, the thread will move slow enough. You won't miss a darn thing. If you hear about it and log on, we will be on page 1 or 2.

tumblr_o4db15nOYi1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
:laugh:! That's spot on Degen.

Remember, Cullen didn't sign until August each of the last two years. We didn't trade for Bonino or sign Fehr until July 28th. Also, we might be the ones holding things up while we wait to see what Dumo and Sheary cost.

I don't think things are any different now than they were a few days ago. And unless something changes (Duchene traded, Sheary/Dumo signed) other than the date, things won't be any different a week from now.

Yeah. It's not like any centres have started moving yet, I think that's key. Once one moves maybe the rest start to move.

I'm increasingly thinking the people saying this is all resting on Duchene moving are on to something - if not our plans specifically, then that of most of the market.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah. It's not like any centres have started moving yet, I think that's key. Once one moves maybe the rest start to move.

I'm increasingly thinking the people saying this is all resting on Duchene moving are on to something - if not our plans specifically, then that of most of the market.

The thing is that people are assuming that centres will "start" moving.

Cullen was pulled out of retirement by Rutherford based on a previous cup wing.

Bonino was acquired because a new GM paid a ransom for a player he wanted.

Eric Fehr was coming off major surgery that sidelined him until December.

These aren't the deals you "expect" to happen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The thing is that people are assuming that centres will "start" moving.

Cullen was pulled out of retirement by Rutherford based on a previous cup wing.

Bonino was acquired because a new GM paid a ransom for a player he wanted.

Eric Fehr was coming off major surgery that sidelined him until December.

These aren't the deals you "expect" to happen.
we haven't even finished signing our RFAs yet. You don't think we might be holding off on a trade until we know how much cap space we have?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So remember my idea to acquire Galchenyuk? Yeah, no.

$4.9 million is too much for a guy we don't even know can play center for us.

If this contract was designed to make Galchenyuk more attractive to trading partners, well I don't think it is going to work.

Onto the next target.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just don't think we trade with Detroit for the main reason that I don't think Detroit knows what the hell they are doing right now. Their actual direction is not making a whole lot of sense to me right now.

Larkin honestly took a lot of **** last year. His value would be as low as it is going to get. But just don't see that one happening.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Has anybody talked about Colton Sissons? Between Johansen, Jankrok, and Bones, aren't they a center heavy?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

You're making my point, basically. Which is we're much more likely to sign for or trade for a Cullen or a Fehr type, not a Duchene / Staal / JVR / etc. I don't disagree that the former types can be signed at any point in the summer. But usually the bigger fish are gone / traded for by mid-July. Which I think we're all keeping any eye out for that (because it can happen). I'm just saying the longer it goes the less likely it will be anything big.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You're making my point, basically. Which is we're much more likely to sign for or trade for a Cullen or a Fehr type, not a Duchene / Staal / JVR / etc. I don't disagree that the former types can be signed at any point in the summer. But usually the bigger fish are gone / traded for by mid-July. Which I think we're all keeping any eye out for that (because it can happen). I'm just saying the longer it goes the less likely it will be anything big.

Is this usually though? Duchene is the biggest fish and people seem to think he'll have to be moved at some point. How often do you get a situation like this?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Is this usually though? Duchene is the biggest fish and people seem to think he'll have to be moved at some point. How often do you get a situation like this?

How often do you see a big name player move? Seems like every offseason at this point.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I have never expected a Duchene, Staal, or JVR type. Though honestly, I don't agree. Why would we be any less likely to trade for Duchene today than we were a week ago? And Staal? Right now or a week ago, I'd say there's damn near zero chance. But if they trade for Duchene tomorrow, suddenly Staal is a MUCH more reasonable trade target. I still don't think it makes sense for us cost wise, but that certainly opens up the possibility of him being available. Same goes for someone like Sissons or Jankrok (or even just signing Fisher) if he goes to Nashville. Or Bozak if he goes to Toronto. So yeah, I just disagree.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Sheary for Sissons and Gaudreau. Make it happen JR.

Jake-Sid-Horny
Wilson-Geno-Kessel
Hags-Sissons-Rust
Kuhn-Gaudreau-Reaves
Rowney-Archie

We would also carry an extra 6-7 million into the season giving us the ability to do anything at the deadline.

You bring in two young cheap center that were so close to victory. Think those two will be hungry? Plus you add Sprong and ZAR + another defenseman and a center at the deadline. Let's say Stasney and Bieksa.

Playoff Lineup
Jake-Sid-Horny
Rust-Geno-Sprong
ZAR-Stasney-Kessel
Hagelin-Sissons-Reaves
Wilson-Gaudreau-Rowney

Dumo-Tang
Maata-Bieksa
Cole-Schultz
Hunwick-Ruhl

Last edited:
Status