Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
One stop gap option that caught my interest was John Mitchell.

Played on a horrible Av's team but is good at the dot and has a great Takeaway to Giveaway ratio like Bones.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/mitchjo01-advanced.html

Well, just comparing them to Bones was all.
He's also better than Bones at the dot and has solid CF% playing with trash in COL and starting over 50% of his shifts in the DZ.

Mitchell is no better than McKegg at this point. He was a healthy scratch a lot on the worst team in the NHL last season.

Colton Sceviour could be a good and cheap add.

He plays right wing, where do you put him? And why would Florida, who is in complete firesale mode, trade away one of their cheapest players?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
The comments in Mackey's article regarding Rutherford looking for alternative ways to acquire a 3C intrigue me.

I tried to look up that article but it is asking to subscribe. Was it specific to an actual 3C that we go into battle with or was it referring to picking up a center who can eat minutes now and slide down after we get the guy we want?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Mitchell is no better than McKegg at this point. He was a healthy scratch a lot on the worst team in the NHL last season.

COL was trying to see if they had anything in their younger guys.
Hell, Jost got 6 games at the end of the year.
Girgorenko played a ton, etc. etc.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Rowney, McKegg, Bluegers, Simon, Tiffels, Dea.

Tiffels and Bluegers are interesting. Both had good World Championships and maybe elevate from that. Simon could take the next step as well. I am assuming JR must know that Cullen isn't coming back for us now? Is that what the article is referring to?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Pageau also filed for arbitration. Doubt they move him but worth keeping an eye on.

Three peat becomes reality if JR somehow pulls that off. I'd do Maatta+Sheary for that. Then look all year for a top 4 dman.

DK says Carolina wants to stay near the salary floor and has a surplus of centers. That's why Staal could conceivably be in play. FWIW.

Yes and no. If that was truly the case, why would they sign Williams for 3.5mil and take on Kruger for $3mil? I don't really see who they would want to trade either.

They resigned Derek Ryan. They just got Kruger. TT seems like exactly what they need. They love Lindholm. Rask has a lengthy extension. Staal is their franchise player. I mean it's a lot easier to move a center to wing than vice versa. Not only that but we don't have anything they would realistically want.

I could get behind something around Lindholm though. Sheary+ for Lindholm?

Offer sheets are the dumbest thing in the NHL. Teams just match. It's not even worth doing. You are just doing that team's work negotiating. And even if you do sign someone, you are giving up compensation.

People forget that the player has to sign it as well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Three peat becomes reality if JR somehow pulls that off. I'd do Maatta+Sheary for that. Then look all year for a top 4 dman.

For JG Pageau, right? Guy with a regular season scoring rate of about 38 on average?

Am I missing something here?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Maatta + Sheary is becoming the new HF meme to replace Ryder + Halak + 2nd (or whatever the pick was). :laugh:

:laugh: Indeed but it's what we have. Considering they lost Methot, I figured they could use Maatta. Then replace the forward with Sheary.

It's our most available assets right now. But gah imagine him here as 3C...

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Phil
Rust-Pageau-Sprong
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't know why, but I have the feeling Cullen's coming back.

Maybe I just have faith that his kids will annoy the **** out of him until he commits to the 3-peat attempt.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
:laugh: Indeed but it's what we have. Considering they lost Methot, I figured they could use Maatta. Then replace the forward with Sheary.

It's our most available assets right now. But gah imagine him here as 3C...

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Phil
Rust-Pageau-Sprong
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

Maatta + Sheary is pretty much our fair offer for Duchene (minus the first). Is Pageau really that good?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I don't know why, but I have the feeling Cullen's coming back.

Maybe I just have faith that his kids will annoy the **** out of him until he commits to the 3-peat attempt.

I said it a few times but i'm OK doing Rowney as 4C and signing Cullen to a 1 year deal at the TD to rest his body after back to back cups, he will be really tired. If Pens got tons of cap space because of a LTIR injury or something then 1 year 3M AAV just to entice him with that useless cap space. 3M for 2 months or less work. He should try my idea IMO.

Bruru71

Jun 25, 2014
Maatta + Sheary is becoming the new HF meme to replace Ryder + Halak + 2nd (or whatever the pick was). :laugh:
After listening to Yohe on Savran earlier today I don't get the feeling Maatta is in play due to lack of organizational depth. He sees them trading from winger depth and draft picks. Sees Jarry as a possible trade chip as well.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Its still so strange that Wing has become really deep for the organization but there isnt much after the NHL guys on Defence. You really never know how prospects will turn out.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Its still so strange that Wing has become really deep for the organization but there isnt much after the NHL guys on Defence. You really never know how prospects will turn out.

Half of these wing prospects might not have panned out if not for this system/Sullivan.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Maatta + Sheary is pretty much our fair offer for Duchene (minus the first). Is Pageau really that good?

He's only 24 and I thought he was a force in the playoffs. He fits our system very well to boot. Stick him with some high quality wings, I think you've got a deadly 3rd line.

It also gives us some cap space. I think he'll get 3.5-4mil. I would want a prospect or a pick coming back as well that helps compensate the other way so it opens up some cap space for us to find another top 4 dman. I think with the pick you get back and another asset like Wilson or Kuhnhackl, I think you can find a decent dman that fits us. Who knows, you may get Flordia to give us Pysyk, Schmidt from LV, Miller or even McNabb. So I mean, there are some options if we go this route. I'm not suggesting it's a stand alone move.

Now Chucky is signed in Montreal are interest?

At 4.9mil? No. I think that honestly tanked his value. They're better off keeping him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad