Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

robopigeon

Dec 9, 2013
  1. Sign Sheary for 2 yr / $8m.
  2. Play him with Crosby and Guentzel all regular season. Force feed him powerplay minutes. Beef up his stats.
  3. Sell him at the TDL for a 1st or some good C / D.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm really skeptical of Sheary at $4 million per year. If this season wasn't a fluke, then that's great. But what if it was? What if he's closer to the guy we saw in both playoff runs?

I'd hope that the arbitrator would go for something like $2.5 to $3 million per year based on the fact Sheary has a single season of production under his belt.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I highly doubt JR let Bonino walk for a reasonable contract so that we could acquire some run of the mill 3C. I want a young kid with potential to grow in such a role or someone capable of bringing us back to three scoring lines.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I highly doubt JR let Bonino walk for a reasonable contract so that we could acquire some run of the mill 3C. I want a young kid with potential to grow in such a role or someone capable of bringing us back to three scoring lines.

This is what I'm thinking too. If we end up signing Jokinen or someone like that for our crucial 3C position, I'll be upset we didn't just re-sign Bones.

I just want us to sign someone already. Or ship Sheary out cause when he's not "on his game" ala the playoffs, he hinders the team more than he helps.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, the fact that JR allowed Bonino to walk (without a competitive offer, assuming the rumors are accurate) says pretty clearly that he has something up his sleeve. I'm guessing he has several potential targets, and a couple of deals waiting for JR to pull the trigger on. He's probably just waiting to see what happens with Duchene--whom I think we're still in on, for better or worse.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Offer sheets are so rare, and so reviled within the GM community, that they're basically completely unrealistic. Not even worth talking about 'em really.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
What about Helm from Detroit? I feel like he'd be perfect in the 3C role with Hags and Kessel

Good defensively
Great skater
Great on the dot
Great PK ability

Reminds me of a less skilled and less offensively gifted version of Duchene but he won't cost us Sheary/Sprong/Maatta+1st/Crosby and Malkin like Duchene will.

I don't think it's a bad idea.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
4 million sounds like a number Sheary would take into arbitration as his demand, not like an actual award he'd get. It was an amazing season, but it was one season. Johansson got awarded 3.75m after three full seasons of consistent 40 to 50-ish points.
Most of the numbers for players that get brought up as comparables (Rask, Henrique, Gallagher, Rackell) are actually on contracts that bought out several UFA years, not arbitration awards for one or two RFA years.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
What about Helm from Detroit? I feel like he'd be perfect in the 3C role with Hags and Kessel

3.85 Mill for the next 4 years is a lot of money for a guy that's barely a 30 point per year guy.

Has a bit of an injury history as well.

Guess trade wise he would be reasonable at least.

Do think that potentially he is somebody that would be gettable and could do a job but don't think he is the direction JR is going to go.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Even if Sheary got 4 mil that's not an issue. Christ we paid Kunitz 3.85 and are still paying Hagelin 4 for much less production.

Things that point to GMJR having a solid plan going for 3C...

Passed on paying Bonino a (highish but) reasonable contract that we could have afforded if we wanted to.

Traded our most ready center prospect.

Haven't even hedged by signing a 4C that would at least slot Rowney down to 4C.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
You can live with Sheary @ 4Mx1yr if Dumo comes in at 3'ish.
Ideally both combined are 7M against the cap next year.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Maybe JR can sign Sheary for a 4x4 and trade him. Sheary under contract might hold more value to another team, although I think it is widely speculated that his regular season stats were inflated by Crosby and he disappeared for most of the playoffs, defensive liability, not strong on the puck or his feet. 2.5 mil for Sheary would be my guess.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

If it is a Bonino type replacement then they will have shorter term and or a lower AAV then what Bones has.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe JR can sign Sheary for a 4x4 and trade him. Sheary under contract might hold more value to another team, although I think it is widely speculated that his regular season stats were inflated by Crosby and he disappeared for most of the playoffs, defensive liability, not strong on the puck or his feet. 2.5 mil for Sheary would be my guess.

Sheary at 4 x 4m is, if you're not sure this is his true level, scary as all hell. If he really regresses that's a cap dump waiting to happen. If I'm an opposing team, I think I'm happier with him on a one year deal then work out the long term after you've seen what he truly is.

Like, if all the guy does is score, forecheck and be small in really bad places, how many points do you want before 4m sounds right?

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Offer sheets are so rare, and so reviled within the GM community, that they're basically completely unrealistic. Not even worth talking about 'em really.

Also players who are eligible for arbitration, it's not really worth it to offer sheet. Now if you get someone who's not eligible for arbitration... That's a different story. Maybe it could be adventage, but you'll be offer sheeted back too.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Good defensively
Great skater
Great on the dot
Great PK ability

Reminds me of a less skilled and less offensively gifted version of Duchene but he won't cost us Sheary/Sprong/Maatta+1st/Crosby and Malkin like Duchene will.

I don't think it's a bad idea.

NO to Helm- he's perpetually injured. He basically had 2 good early seasons of his career and convinced Holland to overpay for his services

AA from Det would be awesome, but I don't think he's played much at Center?
But like someone said, Offer Sheets are rare....

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Even if Sheary got 4 mil that's not an issue. Christ we paid Kunitz 3.85 and are still paying Hagelin 4 for much less production.

Things that point to GMJR having a solid plan going for 3C...

Passed on paying Bonino a (highish but) reasonable contract that we could have afforded if we wanted to.

Traded our most ready center prospect.

Haven't even hedged by signing a 4C that would at least slot Rowney down to 4C.

I think JR has a certain minimum requirement that he wants for each position and a cap hit he is willing to do for that type of player. When several teams have buyouts and other bad contracts the Pens are in great shape. I believe Shero will replace Bonino with at least an equal center but I actually believe he wants at least a 2C for that spot. I think JR see's the depth of wingers that can score ad wants a 3rd line center that can really put up big numbers as a true scoring line like HBK the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad