Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Wouldn't trade Sheary or Maatta alone for JG. Let alone both :laugh:

Sheary for JG wouldn't be a horrible deal though. I'd live with it. But think Sheary is worth more and a better player.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Imagine JR being to cheap to trade for a 3c during the summer. Then one of sid and Geno will get hurt to start the season and we have one 1st and one 4th center on the team....

The season has to start before we have to worry about who's going to fill in for a hurt 87/71. :sarcasm:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
You guys all suck. Go back to dreaming about Thornton and Marleau...or Soderberg...or Jokinen...or putting Guentzel at 3C.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Perreault in Winnipeg could be had for a Maatta and Sheary combo. He plays C sometimes.

mathieu-perreault-2016-6378.jpg

I'm just ****ing with ya. No sarcasm emoji on my phone.

mathieu-perreault-2017-6378.jpg

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin-Jensen-Sheary
Wilson-Vermette-Reaves
Kuhnhackl/Rowney

Dumoulin-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Maatta-Hunwick
Ruhwedel

Murray
Niemi

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Leafs fan on main board was cool with Sheary+1st+2nd for JVR+Bozak. We add some size up front who can play in our system and a 3C familiar with Phil. Leafs flip some or all of that for a D.

JVR could be re-signed as a younger net presence option if PH wants too much term.

Guentzel-Sid-PH
Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Rust-Rowney-Reaves

Suck it NHL.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The NHL/NHLPA CBA is very specific about what types of evidence can be submitted, to the detriment of certain types of players. Permissible evidence includes:

The number of games played and a player's injury history
"Overall performance" (including NHL "official statistics")
Length of service of the player to the club or in the NHL
"The overall contribution of the Player to the competitive success or failure of his club in the preceding season"
"Any special qualities of leadership or public appeal"
The overall performance of alleged comparable players
The compensation of any comparable players that have been formally introduced as a comparable

To take this a few steps further.
- Any performance or statistical evidence can only come from information presented on NHL.com. So you get some of the advanced stats, but none of the WOWY info, their TOI with different players, etc.
- When looking at the "compensation of any comparable players", only players who have been signed to RFA contracts that do not buy up UFA years are allowed. Maatta's contract for example is not allowed. This eliminates most of the examples that get tossed around.
- When a player chooses arbitration, the team gets to choose the term (at the start), either 1 or 2 years. If the team takes the player, the player chooses the term. Arbitrators can only give out judgements for RFA years (eg if a player is 1 year away from UFA, he can only get a 1 year award).
- Awards less than ~4m (there's a firm number somewhere, but it's around 3.5-4.25m) cannot be walked away from - the team must accept it.

That doesn't mean other crap won't get used in negotiations with an agent in talks prior to things landing in an arbitration hearing, but once it gets there, that's all they can use.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Leafs fan on main board was cool with Sheary+1st+2nd for JVR+Bozak. We add some size up front who can play in our system and a 3C familiar with Phil. Leafs flip some or all of that for a D.

JVR could be re-signed as a younger net presence option if PH wants too much term.

Guentzel-Sid-PH
Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Rust-Rowney-Reaves

Suck it NHL.

Bozak and Kessel are best friends and JVR is their good bud too. We do this and have some people take an "we'll never lose a Stanley cup again with this squad" kinda contract and just proceed to sextuple-peat

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Guentzel-Sid-PH
Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Rust-Rowney-Reaves

Suck it NHL.

Salary cap meet mpp9, mpp9 meet salary cup. No way we can take on their salary.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Regarding Sheary's potential cap hit:

1) The NHL league average salary was $2.9M for the 15/16 season (https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtba...n-major-american-sports-leagues/#5fea93531050). While the Cap hasn't risen very much, it has gone up, so the average salary has as well. So $3M at this point is likely just below the average salary in the league for next season. Sheary has been an above-average player, so you can pretty much have $3M as the floor of what he'll make.

2) Consider the cap hit of some of the following players:
Mark Stone: $3.5M
Brendan Gallagher: $3.75M
Anders Lee: $3.75M
Rickard Rakell: $3.8M
Adam Henrique: $4M
Victor Rask: $4M

Compare their points production to Sheary's at the time they signed those deals, and try to tell me Sheary wouldn't be able to get a similar deal out of arbitration.

I found those by plugging in numbers to CapFriendly's comparables tool, in case anyone is wondering why I picked those contracts: https://capfriendly.com/comparables

Mike Colligan's guess of $4M for Sheary sounds about right to me.

Out of those 6 examples, if this goes to arbitration, 4 of them cannot be used. I don't think Stone's can either, but I'm not sure off the top of my head. Any contract that takes up a UFA year is ineligible to be used as a comparison in arbitration.

Guaranteed the very first contract that Rutherford points to for Sheary is Hoffman's from 15-16? where he played on a 1x2m deal awarded in arbitration.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
What if instead of our second we threw in Hagelin?

I guess we could cap dump Hagelin, but wouldn't we prefer actually keeping Hagelin over JVR? I feel he fits our system better. I might be wrong though, I don't watch a lot of Leafs games.

The other question is: why the hell would Lou move these two when he just went all in with Marleau? Especially if the trade doesn't bring him a D back?

That being said, I like the idea of re-uniting Phil and Bozak. Would give us a HELL of a 1-2-3 punch. Don't think the Leafs would help us though.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How does Arbitration work in the NHL? Is it legal standing just like any court in the U.S. (i.e. every electronics user agreement we sign or divorce court)? I ask, because once the number is reached in Arbitration, does that mean it's a done deal, or can the team then say - that's your arb number, would you rather x salary over x years instead...?

Am I correct in thinking arbitration deals are 1 or 2 years only?

Yes, if the player elects to go to arb, the team (prior to the award being determined) chooses the term - 1 or 2 years. If the team takes the player, the player chooses the term - 1 or 2 years. Given that the players both elected to go and both are UFAs in 2 years, these guys are only going to get a 1 year deal.

Both teams sit before an independent arbitrator and present their offer, and then back up why that offer is justified. AKA the team points out every single short coming that the player has (this can get nasty). The agent points out every good thing the player has done. Both sides find examples of players who they think are comparable to the player in question*, and then the arbitrator takes all of that, hears the case and then after some consideration (1-2 days usually) awards a contract.

* Players being used as examples/comparables cannot have contracts that bought up UFA years. So you're basically looking at a players 2nd/3rd contracts that are short (1-4 years). Based on the contracts that many GMs are signing, the number of examples is smaller then 5+ years ago. This is probably in our benefit.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I think some of us on this board just need to rent a video game to make trades....

Panic moves and moves just to make moves are never great ideas

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
This is heading into "we tried to acquire _____ but the cost was too high so we went with this 1.8M player we think has upside to his game" territory.

Can hardly wait for board meltdown.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think Dumoulin will get as much as people think.

Its hard to find a comparable for him, Ryan Murray was the closest i could come up with.

In 2015-2016 Murray got 25 points in 82 games, he played 22 minutes a game

Last year Dumoulin got 15 points in 70 games, he played 20 and a half minutes a game.

Murray got a 2 year bridge contract for 2.8 million a year.

I could see something like that for Dumo.

I think that's probably one of the better comparables for him when discussing arbitration. Alzner is another one at 2.9m. If you're talking a long term contract, I don't think either applies, but with the limitations arbitration has, I think those are probably the two more accurate ones.

Now that i think of it those were Murray's rfa years, this contract will be Dumo's ufa years, so he would probably get more then Murray.

I'm gonna guess Dumoulin will be around 3.5 million per year.

No arbitrator can award a contract that takes up UFA years. Dumoulin has 2 RFA years left.

Surely they wont just look at points when the value Dmen in arbitration?

The fact Dumoulin has played 21 and 22 minutes per game in back to back Cup runs has surely got to be factored in.

They wont just ignore the fact that the guy played 1st pairing D minutes in back to back cup wins because he doesn't score a lot.

I don't think he gets 4 in arbitration, probably around the 3 mark.

I just think we should be giving him 4 to get him signed long term.

The agent can point to any number that is on NHL.com (found anywhere on NHL.com) as an argument to back up his case. TOI will be a huge one for him - especially in game 6 vs NSH when he played 26 minutes. Same with game 7 vs OTT, where he played 20:30 in the first 3 periods and 8 minutes in OT1. Same with game 7 vs WSH, where he played 23:40. Basically every big must win game, Dumoulin was at or near the top of the list in TOI for the blueliners, and that's going to be a huge thing that is agent points to - especially if he wasn't getting scored on while he was on the ice (I think the only easy way to find that is looking up each game's TOI sheet).

What about Larsson? He got $4.167 per year.

I'd pay that to Dumoulin if we're getting 6 years from him. But it can't be used in arbitration.

I don't think Dumo is going to get too much from an arbitration case. So I'm not worried about that. I look at a guy like Kreider for Sheary. The guy has one season with amazing stats. I can't find a comparable. Kreider had 3 seasons and was working his way up. Looking through these, I think his case is extremely interesting.

Agree with you about Dumoulin. It might go as high as 3.2m, but I doubt it. Regardless of how it goes, I'm not worried as I'm confident that he'll be worth it. I just want to get a long term deal done with him asap, but it's a process and it'll eventually get sorted out (one way or another).

Fortunately for us there's very few comparables for Sheary. 99.9% of the names we'll name fall into one of three categories: 1) Didn't perform as well as Sheary, 2) have more history to fall back on, 3) some combination of the two.

As I've said before the very first example that Pittsburgh will point to is Hoffman's from 15/16, when as a 24 year old (turned 25 in Nov), received a 1x2m award after putting up 27g/48pts with 26g/45pts at ES. He played 79 games, but after having 6 pts in 25 games the year before that's probably one of the biggest jumps for a rookie.

Someone like Kreider won't get used due to A) his size and B) his hits (130+ vs 29).

For Sheary, I'd be surprised if his deal gives him more than 3.5m, and I'm expecting it to be a lot less - closer to 2.5m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad