Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Well let me try to shed a little light on this for you. Reeves IS a clear upgrade on those wingers you listed when you finally wrap your head around the reason WHY he was acquired. Rutherford picked him up to help deter some of the BS that the players have had to endure over the past 2+ seasons. There's actually been LOTS of discussion on this topic here over the past couple of months if you'd like to do a little research and try to educate yourself on the topic...

If you're going to act all high and mighty at least spell the guys name right :shakehead

There's no evidence that enforcers actually deter anything or reduce the likelihood of a serious injury to a star, regardless of what 70 year old GMs and former enforcers think.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa

Doesn't look good for the Leafs. Maybe they'll have to deal one of their Cs if found guilty.

Meh i think you misinterpreted "independent" in that tweet... this doctor probably was "independently" selected by Toronto, on their "looks independent from the team" payroll, and going to deliver the "independent" results he was instructed too by the Leafs.....

The NHL is a sham when it comes to all things in its own front office...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I didn't get the impression that he needed Zaripov to be happy. Just a familiar player who he thought would help the team.

Malkin ain't a pro scout, but he's probably more knowledgeable about Zaripov than most in the org, and definitely more knowledgeable about who he'd have chemistry with.

He's 36, has literally never touched the surface of an NHL rink and won't even make it to training camp. I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say it's a pretty long shot at panning out the way Malkin wants. If it's a cheap and easily "hide-able" contract, I guess I don't really care. It's just bizarre, owing to what the team's roster already looks like and positions of strength/weakness.

I don't really believe the team sees it as an option so whatever.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
For all the people who want to push Archibald out the door over Rowney and Kuhn, keep in mind he's been one of the Baby Pens best PKers and a shorthanded machine (something those two will never be).

He hits as much as Rowney, is much faster than both of them, has better hands than both, and is tenacious as hell (while Kuhn is just the opposite).

The only thing Rowney and Kuhn do better is be bigger, if we are truly being honest here.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
For all the people who want to push Archibald out the door over Rowney and Kuhn, keep in mind he's been one of the Baby Pens best PKers and a shorthanded machine (something those two will never be).

He hits as much as Rowney, is much faster than both of them, has better hands than both, and is tenacious as hell (while Kuhn is just the opposite).

The only thing Rowney and Kuhn do better is be bigger, if we are truly being honest here.

Archibald is a protoypical small energy forward.... kuhn is a 4th liner with an untapped scoring pedigree that may only be a sound defensive forward up here... Rowney can play center in a pinch... all three have positive potential... im sure a trade will alieviate us of the most valuable spare piece this year

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I didn't get the impression that he needed Zaripov to be happy. Just a familiar player who he thought would help the team.

Malkin ain't a pro scout, but he's probably more knowledgeable about Zaripov than most in the org, and definitely more knowledgeable about who he'd have chemistry with.

Not a pro scout but a hockey player. Those guys would lie to the media about liking the worst player ever, or they really think everyone is great and important. I'm sure Crosby and Malkin would have said Adams on their line was good because he was defensively responsible and gritty. Malkin thought him and Hornqvist were good and they looked awkward every time.

Don't trust the hockey players.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Doesn't look good for the Leafs. Maybe they'll have to deal one of their Cs if found guilty.

They have the cap space to handle this - plus waiving Lupul gives them another 1m. Other than potential punishment from the NHL, it's a non-issue roster/cap wise for Toronto.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Archibald is a protoypical small energy forward.... kuhn is a 4th liner with an untapped scoring pedigree that may only be a sound defensive forward up here... Rowney can play center in a pinch... all three have positive potential... im sure a trade will alieviate us of the most valuable spare piece this year

Just because his one timer looked nice once or twice doesn't mean he's fast or smart enough to utilize it enough to be worth much.

I'll take the guy who produces more chances with a worse shot. Rust is a huge part of this team and Archibald could very well end up a similar player.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ey-Penguins-chat-9-21-17/stories/201709210124

Mackey had a few interesting things to say in his chat...he never thought JR had three options for center and that comment was a smoke screen for Detroit. Says 3C is Sheahan or bust. PIT is not in on Duchene, either asking too much or not a fit. At one time Pens looked at Bozak but TOR wanted Maatta for him and that went nowhere. Had some interest in Spooner at one time but not recently. Heard nothing about Haula. He says no internal option will be used at 3C. But he doesn't really say who will play there if AA doesn't re-sign and Sheahan isn't traded

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Well, for around 60 games, at least.

But no, you're right. These guys have more than earned some leeway. If it's seriously being pursued, I'll have to trust it's for better reasons than giving Malkin a buddy, or whatever.

A potentially free top 6 wing should never be outright dismissed. Teams pay 4 mil with term for players who have no business in such a role. Ala Bonino.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Just because his one timer looked nice once or twice doesn't mean he's fast or smart enough to utilize it enough to be worth much.

I'll take the guy who produces more chances with a worse shot. Rust is a huge part of this team and Archibald could very well end up a similar player.

Kuhn was a solid fourth liner through this year and last and from what I understood suffered an injury otherwise he would've been playing in the playoffs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Yeah. He could very well go the way of Plotnikov but I don't remember Malkin and Gonch being vocal about that guy. I like the idea of us taking a stab at KHL players once a year. You trade or waive them if they suck and likely head back to Russia to make coin. Not a ton of risk aside from exposing a dime a dozen player like Kuhn.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Kuhn was a solid fourth liner through this year and last and from what I understood suffered an injury otherwise he would've been playing in the playoffs.

I don't understand what people are watching if they think Kuhn is worth keeping over Archibald. We've seen Kuhn for going on three seasons. We don't know what Archibald is yet and has shown some Rust type qualities.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't understand what people are watching if they think Kuhn is worth keeping over Archibald. We've seen Kuhn for going on three seasons. We don't know what Archibald is yet and has shown some Rust type qualities.

All the more reason to keep the guy we know.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
All the more reason to keep the guy we know.

Rowney can do what Kuhn does and plays center. Wilson is ahead of him on LW. No one like Archibald on the 4th. He'd be a good complement to Rowney and Reaves.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Because we know Kuhn is a capable NHl forward that IMO is an asset in a 4th line role. Archibald is at best a poor mans Rust. And a poor mans Rust is a capable NHL forward that might be an asset in a 4th line role.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Because we know Kuhn is a capable NHl forward that IMO is an asset in a 4th line role. Archibald is at best a poor mans Rust. And a poor mans Rust is a capable NHL forward that might be an asset in a 4th line role.

So you'd rather have another plodding skater next to Rowney and Reaves to replace what Cullen brought?

Sounds like a solid recipe.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I mean even from his mid 30's Zaripov's stats in the Khl and highlights look really good... no idea how it carries over but he outscored Panarin 3 years ago before he came over and beat kolvolchuk the year before last... had a great playoffs last year...

We just don't need a winger though

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
If you're going to act all high and mighty at least spell the guys name right :shakehead

There's no evidence that enforcers actually deter anything or reduce the likelihood of a serious injury to a star, regardless of what 70 year old GMs and former enforcers think.

Listen my friend, spelling errors are much easier to stomach than the waste of a point you've made above. It's so frustrating to continually hear all these armchair GM's - like yourself - who keep downplaying Rutherford's decision to go out there and address this situation. Which he did. Which WAS necessary. If you ever end up playing the game you might fiiiiiiinally understand why Jimmy made the move he did.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
He's 36, has literally never touched the surface of an NHL rink and won't even make it to training camp. I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say it's a pretty long shot at panning out the way Malkin wants. If it's a cheap and easily "hide-able" contract, I guess I don't really care. It's just bizarre, owing to what the team's roster already looks like and positions of strength/weakness.

I don't really believe the team sees it as an option so whatever.

Although the forward position could be considered a strength, true LW is not. We have guys who are in reality RW's playing on the Left side, like Rust and Aston-Reese. Guentzal, Hagelin and Wilson are true LW. Zaripov is a true LW.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I agree. Preferrably a 3C now and a Vegas guy later in the season. I'd love to go into the playoffs with:

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Hags-Geno-Kessel
Rust-Sheahan-Hornqvist
Sprong-Karlsson-Reaves

If Sheahan is our 3C we are doomed.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I think Archibald is an ideal 4th liner. He flies, he creates turnovers, he creates powerplays, he can penalty kill, he plays with a ton of energy, he can cycle the puck, he plays with physicality, and he has some skill. I think taking him out of the lineup for anyone isn't a good idea because I think he has the ability to provide that scoring depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad