Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Malkin seems very confident that he would make the team better, and he more than you and I has earned the benefit of the doubt. Would there be any questions at all if 87 was doing the asking?

Crosby had a well known preference for playing with a similar aged Kunitz, and that was roundly questioned for the past number of years, here and by some in the media who finally came around, and rightfully so. So yes?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Malkin seems very confident that he would make the team better, and he more than you and I has earned the benefit of the doubt. Would there be any questions at all if 87 was doing the asking?

Well it seems pretty likely that getting Reaves was part Sid pushing for an enforcer (plus the whole no playing Hornqvist on the top line) and both of those have been questioned, so... yeah?

That said, Geno might be pushing it, but I doubt they'd go ahead with it without some people in the front office saying "This could work".

edit: People saying we missed Kostin - not the chance to draft him, but that we missed the player himself - need to be sent to the correctional facility for really bad logic.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He probably doesn't need him to be happy, but signing him would be happy. Why does he need to **** off for wanting one of his buddies on the team? There is literally no risk with signing him. Could it not work? Yeah, completely, but there's literally no risk in giving him a contract. I could understand if we were talking a 4 year, $4.5 million deal, but it's going to be a 1 year deal at probably close to league minimum.

This has been the opinion I've had on Zaripov for the entire time. Does he fill a need for the Penguins? Not in the least. But what hurts with adding a free player that has at least the potential to work out here? Yeah, he's 36, big whoop. He's also only going to be on a 1 year deal. You're basically saying no to a free lottery ticket because you already have a lot of money.

Well perhaps I'm misunderstanding or mischaracterizing the discussion but haven't we all been talking about how crowded the potential roster is? A guy like Kuhn is on the bubble, if I'm not mistaken and he's quality. Doesn't a signing like this only further confuse things?

I'd much rather in-house, younger options get the chance. And not risk losing anyone for nothing in the process.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well perhaps I'm misunderstanding or mischaracterizing the discussion but haven't we all been talking about how crowded the potential roster is? A guy like Kuhn is on the bubble, if I'm not mistaken and he's quality. Doesn't a signing like this only further confuse things?

I'd much rather in-house, younger options get the chance. And not risk losing anyone for nothing in the process.

If the Penguins sign Zaripov and don't trade any of their wingers (for some reason, I think a winger is going to go with Pouliot for Sheahan if that trade happens), I think you'll just have both Wilson and Kuhnhackl as extra forwards and Archibald will go on waivers. I don't think any of the wingers that may end up on waivers have a high enough upside or value for me to care about losing them for nothing.

And playing an in-house, younger option does also risk losing someone for nothing, unless you mean "Scott Wilson only" as the in-house option. If you call up either Sprong or ZAR, you still have to waive someone.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Another thing that would annoy me about Zaripov is that if their was ever a player that needed training camp it would be him.

The guy hasn't played in the NHL, he needs to get used to the rules over here, needs to get used to small ice, i don't even think he speaks English.

It would be a terrible situation to sign him a week before camp, he would be set up for failure.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
And we'd have Kostin. And still have Sundqvist who was improving. Not like he was stagnating like DP. The trade really made no sense, since he isn't a clear upgrade over anybody and he is more expensive than a Kuhn, Rowney or Archibald. That's 3 RWs alone who are capable of bringing NHL play, and that's not including Sprong,ZAR or Johnson. I don't get why the pens thought they needed ANOTHER 4th line RW who isn't even an upgrade.

You could've even have used the 1st towards a centre or Dman. Like Scandella or something.

Why do people keep saying the bolded? You don't know that's who the Pens would have picked, even if they'd held on to the 31st overall pick.

As for Sundqvist, did people not watch his performance whenever he'd get called up? At the NHL level, he didn't look any more effective than what we got out of Carter Rowney. I'd be shocked if Sundqvist became more than your average 4C who can maybe spot fill the 3C spot in an emergency. Not exactly someone to be so bothered about losing.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I still think our very best option going forward will lie with Vegas in finding a 3rd line center.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Is there any indication a 36 year old Zaripov would benefit this team at this point to such a degree to make it him worth actually acquiring? I've not watched anything on him. Is the likelyhood of such an acquisition happening solely because Malkin wants to play with him? Seems an unreasonable priority if so, at least with Reaves they made clear the reason and the "supposed" benefit his acquisition would provide. Can he still skate at his age like say Cullen at least?

I'd be shocked if Zaripov is brought in at this point. There's a time for experimenting with and testing your roster, and we're currently half way through it. The timing doesn't make sense.

However, if he is signed, I'm not concerned about his health/body/skating/stamina in any way. He's played his entire pro career in a much more open league with more forgiving dimensions.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I still think our very best option going forward will lie with Vegas in finding a 3rd line center.

I agree. Preferrably a 3C now and a Vegas guy later in the season. I'd love to go into the playoffs with:

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Hags-Geno-Kessel
Rust-Sheahan-Hornqvist
Sprong-Karlsson-Reaves

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Honestly (and I'm a big Malkin fan... really, I am) if he needs Danis flipping Zaripov to make him happy on this team he can **** off. That's ridiculous. I admit that I'm not exactly bursting with knowledge on this particular player... but does he even qualify as a has-been? It just seems like yet another way to potentially muddy the waters.

Whatever. Wait and see, I guess.

We don't have a single player on the roster who plays the game like Malkin does. I agree it's a weird time to pursue this with crazy wing depth and a lack of centers, but if management feels he can break into our top 9 and either push a guy down the depth chart or make one available via trade, I'm fine with it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We don't have a single player on the roster who plays the game like Malkin does.

Well, for around 60 games, at least.

But no, you're right. These guys have more than earned some leeway. If it's seriously being pursued, I'll have to trust it's for better reasons than giving Malkin a buddy, or whatever.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Another thing that would annoy me about Zaripov is that if their was ever a player that needed training camp it would be him.

The guy hasn't played in the NHL, he needs to get used to the rules over here, needs to get used to small ice, i don't even think he speaks English.

It would be a terrible situation to sign him a week before camp, he would be set up for failure.

I mentioned that earlier. If the Pens had ANY interest whatsoever, they needed to bring him to camp. Send him out in the pre-season and then make the decision from there.

Easier to tell him (and Malkin) no if he struggles.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
I agree. Preferrably a 3C now and a Vegas guy later in the season. I'd love to go into the playoffs with:

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Hags-Geno-Kessel
Rust-Sheahan-Hornqvist
Sprong-Karlsson-Reaves
#BringBackRealDealJamesNeal #AFewCurlsForTheGirls

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Why do I picture some type of Leafs mafia visiting Lups tonight?

"You should think of the legendary players that wore the uniform before you and how you are disrespecting them. Guys like, uh... Mats Sundin! And, um... Doug Gilmore! Wendel Clarke?"

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I would far rather take the risk with Archibald than with Rowney and also think he's the lesser risk of getting picked up. Even if he wasn't though, I'd rather risk the winger than the centre.

Same. If Archi and Kuhnhack are the extra forwards, I see no reason to waive Rowney vs Archie. Rowney can be a C/W and our C depth will be weak already. There's nothing that Archie can do that Rowney can't - at least not at this point in time in the role we'd be needing one of them.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It isn't really even the fact that Reaves is not a solid player. It is just like.. we could potentially have Rust as our 4th line RW if Sprong steps into the 3rd line role and impresses.

I don't think it's worth moving Rust to the 4th line if Sprong impresses. Even if we had a center capable of working with him (which I doubt), I'd like to see him get more than 8-11 minutes of icetime a game.

That's one of the reasons why Reaves doesn't bother me all that much (my joy for having someone like him aside). I do not see our 4th line producing anything like what they did last year. I think all will be around 15-20 pts, simply because they'll get more OZ starts, but without Cullen there, it's going to be rough compared to last year. So I don't see having to dress Reaves as something that's going to make all that much of a difference in the grande scheme of things.

And we'd have Kostin. And still have Sundqvist who was improving. Not like he was stagnating like DP. The trade really made no sense, since he isn't a clear upgrade over anybody and he is more expensive than a Kuhn, Rowney or Archibald. That's 3 RWs alone who are capable of bringing NHL play, and that's not including Sprong,ZAR or Johnson. I don't get why the pens thought they needed ANOTHER 4th line RW who isn't even an upgrade.

You could've even have used the 1st towards a centre or Dman. Like Scandella or something.
Jesus.... where to start.

A) No, we probably wouldn't have Kostin. Him being drafted at that spot doesn't mean all that much unless you think Rutherford would have actually drafted him. And while Sundqvist was likely still improving, he showed next to nothing last year that he's ready for a full time spot. Which means keeping him doesn't do much for us, as we still have a hole that we would need filled.

B) Reaves is a better hockey player then Kuhnhackl, Archibald and Rowney. They (to varying degree's) might have more potential at becoming better, but right now, out of those 4, Reaves is the best one.

C) If you had moved that pick for a player, then you couldn't have picked Kostin or whomever now could you? If you're going to ***** about trading it, you can't then propose to trade it. :shakehead But on a serious note, no we couldn't have traded for Scandella. He carries a 4m cap hit, and he would require a couple moves just to free up cap space to make it happen. Very unrealistic.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Honestly (and I'm a big Malkin fan... really, I am) if he needs Danis flipping Zaripov to make him happy on this team he can **** off. That's ridiculous. I admit that I'm not exactly bursting with knowledge on this particular player... but does he even qualify as a has-been? It just seems like yet another way to potentially muddy the waters.

Whatever. Wait and see, I guess.

I didn't get the impression that he needed Zaripov to be happy. Just a familiar player who he thought would help the team.

Malkin ain't a pro scout, but he's probably more knowledgeable about Zaripov than most in the org, and definitely more knowledgeable about who he'd have chemistry with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad