Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Agreed. I'm pretty sick of seeing Hornqvist continually downplayed by some posters. He is still an integral part of this team. Let's cool our jets on trading him.

Amen. Being in a situation where Hornqvist's role in the top 6 isn't guaranteed isn't a problem--it's a Godsend.

I'm smiling just thinking about the fact that our depth might be good enough to bump a guy who might make $6 million a year on his next contract down to the third line.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think that has more to do with Crosby not wanting to play with Hornqvist.

Sheary-Sid-Horny was murdering the league last year. Helped Sid get another Rocket.

I don't think we see that next year though for any significant amount of time no matter how much I want to.

Sheary-Sid-Horny
Jake-Malkin-Kessel
Hagelin-3C-Rust
Wilson-4C-Reaves

would be my more ideal realistic lineup. Sign Zaripov:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Zaripov-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-3C-Rust
Hags-4C-Reaves

I'm super skeptical about Zaripov, so I don't think that's gonna happen. But that aside, that looks like a pretty decent framework to roll with in my mind.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm super skeptical about Zaripov, so I don't think that's gonna happen. But that aside, that looks like a pretty decent framework to roll with in my mind.

I don't think it does either. Just going by some of the rumblings lately.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No. I'm just saying that HBK is a perfect example as to why we shouldn't get married to a line just because it worked last year. I mean Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist worked amazingly... yet everyone seems more than willing to toss that away... So the double standards when it comes to Guentzel seem a little odds is all.

We are tossing away any line with Hornqvist and Crosby together, because Crosby doesn't prefer him as a winger.

I already know it from a reliable source on here, and the beat writers flat out told us this as well.

Not sure why people still think Sullivan will put them together unless forced to.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
We are tossing away any line with Hornqvist and Crosby together, because Crosby doesn't prefer him as a winger.

I already know it from a reliable source on here, and the beat writers flat out told us this as well.

Not sure why people still think Sullivan will put them together unless forced to.

So Crosby, the guy who has done whatever it takes to win throughout his career and played with a multitude of players is suddenly against one that is stuck on the PP?

I think the real issue last year especially in the playoffs was Hornqvist had a broken hand.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The reason i don't mind the idea of putting Guentzel on the third line is because a line of Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist is still a great line. Guentzel can carry a line, especially at centre with his vision and playmaking skills. A Guentzel-Kessel third line come playoffs would be unstoppable. The top two lines would still do a ton of damage. We are that deep.

But for now i just wanna see sid rack up points, so give him Guentzel all regular season, but split them up come playoffs, Because it creates mismatches, Who could stop that three line attack?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't think Kessel and Gunz are necessarily going to be that kind of line though. Kessel seems to do his best when he can dictate the play and his linemates keep it simple. It's why he's never really seemed to gel with Malkin. Crosby and Gunz just flat-out GET each other.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I don't think Kessel and Gunz are necessarily going to be that kind of line though. Kessel seems to do his best when he can dictate the play and his linemates keep it simple. It's why he's never really seemed to gel with Malkin. Crosby and Gunz just flat-out GET each other.

Guentzel looked great with Bonino and Rust and Malkin and Kessel last year.

Malkin and Kessel seemed to gel well enough for Geno to lead the league in playoff scoring last year.

And as we have said multiple times Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist is a sweet line.

Right now I'd run our top nine as

Jake - C - Hornqvist
Hags - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - TB - Rust

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So Crosby, the guy who has done whatever it takes to win throughout his career and played with a multitude of players is suddenly against one that is stuck on the PP?

I think the real issue last year especially in the playoffs was Hornqvist had a broken hand.

You may believe what you want, we are all free to believe what we like, that doesn't make it reality though.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The reality is we won a cup with Hornqvist stapled to Crosby's wing.

Sid is about winning. Look at him and Giroux in 2015.

And since that point they have stopped playing together for no obvious hockey reason.

In any case - regardless of whether you believe it - this is why some of us don't list Horny as an option for Sid.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The reality is we won a cup with Hornqvist stapled to Crosby's wing.

Sid is about winning. Look at him and Giroux in 2015.

They also just won a cup with Hornqvist NOT stapled to Crosby's wing.

Having a preference doesn't mean Crosby won't do what's best for the team, but him playing with Hornqvist isn't mutually exclusive to that ideal.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016

I don't know where some people keep coming up with this and I'm not sure what you think you saw that made you come to that conclusion, but they were easily one of the most dominant pairings in the league with a GF% just over 70% in all their time played together last season. They gel fine. They both produce in abudance together, they both barely get scored on together, maybe they look badly doing it to some people but the results speak for themselves.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I tend to agree although Kessel produced just as much with Malkin as he did with HBK so it's tough to say where he's best at. Depends how non-Kessel wings do with Malkin and how the third line does without Kessel.

Would be great to be able to run:

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hags-3C-Kessel
Wilson-4C-Horny

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Anyone else cool with putting Johnson at 3C to start the season?

Not feeling it. Looks like a great talent who needs some time to adjust to the men's game and maybe put on more weight. I'd rather let him develop in the AHL than risk ruining him in the NHL. Maybe if he really goes on a tear in the rest of the exhibition games.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't know where some people keep coming up with this and I'm not sure what you think you saw that made you come to that conclusion, but they were easily one of the most dominant pairings in the league with a GF% just over 70% in all their time played together last season. They gel fine. They both produce in abudance together, they both barely get scored on together, maybe they look badly doing it to some people but the results speak for themselves.

Which isn't "gel"ing like Crosby and Gunz gelled. You'll also notice I didn't say Kessel played bad with Malkin, they're just not natural fits for each other. :dunno:

I guess, SEAL says it better above me.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Which isn't "gel"ing like Crosby and Gunz gelled. You'll also notice I didn't say Kessel played bad with Malkin, they're just not natural fits for each other. :dunno:

I guess, SEAL says it better above me.

Kessel and Malkin out produced Jake and Crosby in the playoffs.

Obviously power play had a large part of that, but like Malkin and Kessel are on the PP together.

I mean obviously the goal should be to keep Jake - Crosby and Malkin - Kessel as top six pairs because that is unmatchable in terms of production.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Kessel and Malkin out produced Jake and Crosby in the playoffs.

Obviously power play had a large part of that, but like Malkin and Kessel are on the PP together.

But again, playoffs are a different situation entirely than the regular season. The Crosby line was drawing tons more attention and still produced at a sizable clip (outside of some Jake jitters) AND played outstanding 2-way hockey when it was needed.

If you want to just talk about scoring, that's fine. But let's be clear what we're arguing here.

And again, I'm not saying don't put Kessel on Malkin's wing-- but we'll have to reconfigure that 3rd line for that. And maybe that's what we'll need to do, given how in flux it is right now.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Sure. But I don't think he is fully ready to be centre. But if you put him on Wing next to Crosby right now, i think he could put up 40 points. He has everything a crosby winger needs to be successful, speed,skill and hustle.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
But again, playoffs are a different situation entirely than the regular season. The Crosby line was drawing tons more attention and still produced at a sizable clip (outside of some Jake jitters) AND played outstanding 2-way hockey when it was needed.

If you want to just talk about scoring, that's fine. But let's be clear what we're arguing here.

And again, I'm not saying don't put Kessel on Malkin's wing-- but we'll have to reconfigure that 3rd line for that. And maybe that's what we'll need to do, given how in flux it is right now.

Wait.

In what world was Jake - Crosby - Sheary playing "outstanding 2-way hockey"?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Maybe, but I'd be concerned with not having enough pking centers with Johnson.

You could put Rowney in as RW and have him be a Centre on the PK (McKegg and Rowney as the PKers.) I say if you think Johnson is ready, then you must think Blueger is ready. He unlike Johnson is a more complete player. Then use Johnson at Wing, which imo i think he could do right now and be pretty good.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
You could put Rowney in as RW and have him be a Centre on the PK (McKegg and Rowney as the PKers.) I say if you think Johnson is ready, then you must think Blueger is ready. He unlike Johnson is a more complete player. Then use Johnson at Wing, which imo i think he could do right now and be pretty good.

Ryan Reaves is here though.

Man, I really want to like him, but he seems so unnecessary.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

He played with two top line wingers last night, that isn't a luxury he will have in the regular season.

He took advantage of the golden chances JG served him, but chances are he will need to be the guy making those passes to Hagelin/Rust/Hornqvist because none of those guys will be setting the table for him like JG.

I'd like to see him with his potential linemates or players of similar ilk before I anoint him the 3c after one good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad