Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
OK I'll bite. What's the lineup look like with Zaripov in it, and a 3C not named Jake Guentzel?

Guentzel Crosby Sheary
Zaripov Malkin Kessel
Hagelin 3C Hornqvist
Rust Rowney Reaves

Wilson Bleuger Kuhnhackl
Archibald ZAR Sprong

Even without promoting Sprong or ZAR, this leaves Rust sitting on the 4th line. The move doesn't make any sense

UNLESS

We are moving a top 9 forward in a package for Duchene or Bozak. That's the only way I see it happen. Sheary, Rust, Hagelin or Hornqvist

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Meh i think you misinterpreted "independent" in that tweet... this doctor probably was "independently" selected by Toronto, on their "looks independent from the team" payroll, and going to deliver the "independent" results he was instructed too by the Leafs.....

The NHL is a sham when it comes to all things in its own front office...

This is my area of business and there are 2 things that tweet told me. Granted I have not jumped into and researched this much at all.

1) Lupul may be lying. If he is not looking for 2nd opinions, why is he saying what he said? You better have medical backing to support it. And if you believe it - go get medical backing. It's pretty simple.

2) The NHL is being honest with their independent study. The doctors have their license on the line. I firmly believe between NHL/NHL PA they will send to a legit 3rd party provider. However IMEs (independent medical examinations) are typically mass reviews of the current med and a general 1 day review of the individual. I am not sure how that's going to tell the full story.

If Lupul wanted to challenge this "cheating" by Toronto, he'd prove it with multiple 2nd opinions.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think Archibald is an ideal 4th liner. He flies, he creates turnovers, he creates powerplays, he can penalty kill, he plays with a ton of energy, he can cycle the puck, he plays with physicality, and he has some skill. I think taking him out of the lineup for anyone isn't a good idea because I think he has the ability to provide that scoring depth.

Exactly.

Rowney I'm fine with, The Kuhn love around here has me bemused.

Kuhn is a young, little less craptacular Adams. This board, rightfully so, bemoaned Adams presence on the fourth line for years.

Now we have an alarming amount of people who want his doppelgänger on the team. Many who used to ***** about Adams. It's mind blowing to me.

"But da Kuhn help win a cup!"

Ya, well so did Adams, on two teams. Cmon now...

If Sheahan is our 3C we are doomed.

Give him a chance if it goes down, he's got a lot of desirable attributes the coaching staff can work with.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So there is only a $900,000 difference between Bonino and Sheahan/Reaves?

Sheahan + Reaves = $3.2 million
Bonino = $4.1 million

Terrible decision. I still have a little bit of hope that we don't bother with Sheahan

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Bonino = $4.1 million

Terrible decision. I still have a little bit of hope that we don't bother with Sheahan

you know we wouldn't just leave an empty spot where Reaves is playing, right? We'd still need to pay whoever is in that spot. So it would be 3.2 vs 4.7 if we say it's Kuhn or Rowney.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
you know we wouldn't just leave an empty spot where Reaves is playing, right? We'd still need to pay whoever is in that spot.

Get your logic out of here!

Pens x, want to know why people just respond to you with sarcastic stuff and call you a troll? Posts like these are a really good sample for why. Disingenuous argument after disingenuous argument.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Get your logic out of here!

Pens x, want to know why people just respond to you with sarcastic stuff and call you a troll? Posts like these are a really good sample for why. Disingenuous argument after disingenuous argument.

The difference between the cap hits of Bones and Sheahan is only 2% of the team's cap.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Good point, $675,000 for Kuhn or Archibald

Hags Bones Horny looks a hell of a lot better than Sheahan and co

I wish I had your crystal ball that told you how Sheahan would look this season as a Pen. Can you look into that crystal ball and let me know how Sprong does this season? I'm trying to decide whether or not to make a bet about him winning the Calder.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The difference between Hunwick and Shattenkirk is 4% of the team's cap. Wow, I hate this team so much. They weren't willing to throw that extra 4% at Shattenkirk? They're going to run this team into the ground.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
You can't justify passing up on Bones if you are going to replace him with Sheahan. The difference in cap hit is negligible.

It's double the cap for 4 times as long. It's roughly the difference between extending Rust or replacing him with Josh Archibald.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The difference between Hunwick and Shattenkirk is 4% of the team's cap. Wow, I hate this team so much. They weren't willing to throw that extra 4% at Shattenkirk? They're going to run this team into the ground.

If the Pens don't three-peat this year, we can blame it on Rutherford's refusal to add Shattenkirk instead of Hunwick. I mean, what was he thinking? It was only a couple of percentage points more of the cap!

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I just can't get over these Sheahan rumors. Jim would really have a terrible offseason if he acquires him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just can't get over these Sheahan rumors. Jim would really have a terrible offseason if he acquires him.

Cool. You've said this 4309240392 times. You are one of the very few who is really struggling this offseason to enjoy back to back Cups. It's not a bad offseason by any means. This is the salary cap era. If you don't understand it, then you are going to be disappointed a lot.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Nobody really watches Detroit anymore. I doubt anyone has a great feel for what Sheahan will bring. He'll need to bounce back to be good enough to be a 3C here but his cap hit doesn't prohibit us from adding another center later so it's fine with me.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Awesome.

Next after this, is the Zetterberg comments as well if the League finally wants to be seen as no joke.

I was reading an article on this today (TSN?) and they were saying that this isn't the first time the league has sought a 2nd opinion on a player on LTIR. Said they did it to Rhett Warrener (CGY) and did it to Philly with some of their guys over the years.

That said... Toronto doesn't need to place Lupul on LTIR, they can send him to the minors. Cap wise they'll be tight, but not over it, and if they send him down they gain another 1.05m. There's also a difference between LTIR and a team applying for the LTIR exception ruling/clause where they gain that cap hit in cap space (or most of it). Apparently the Leafs have never put in that claim for Lupul. Meaning they gained little from this.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He's 36, has literally never touched the surface of an NHL rink and won't even make it to training camp. I'm gonna go way out on a limb and say it's a pretty long shot at panning out the way Malkin wants. If it's a cheap and easily "hide-able" contract, I guess I don't really care. It's just bizarre, owing to what the team's roster already looks like and positions of strength/weakness.

I don't really believe the team sees it as an option so whatever.

I just think it's Geno giving some insight on a player he's familiar with who he thinks could help the team. No reason not to at least explore the possibility if he comes cheap.

Not a pro scout but a hockey player. Those guys would lie to the media about liking the worst player ever, or they really think everyone is great and important. I'm sure Crosby and Malkin would have said Adams on their line was good because he was defensively responsible and gritty. Malkin thought him and Hornqvist were good and they looked awkward every time.

Don't trust the hockey players.

I trust our hockey ops to do their due diligence on any player recommendations.

Yeah. He could very well go the way of Plotnikov but I don't remember Malkin and Gonch being vocal about that guy. I like the idea of us taking a stab at KHL players once a year. You trade or waive them if they suck and likely head back to Russia to make coin. Not a ton of risk aside from exposing a dime a dozen player like Kuhn.

Agreed.

If he flounders, we waive him and he heads back to Russia. If he succeeds, hey, free skilled winger.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Listen my friend, spelling errors are much easier to stomach than the waste of a point you've made above. It's so frustrating to continually hear all these armchair GM's - like yourself - who keep downplaying Rutherford's decision to go out there and address this situation. Which he did. Which WAS necessary. If you ever end up playing the game you might fiiiiiiinally understand why Jimmy made the move he did.

You haven't made a point so how much of a waste is that? Appeal to authority is a logical fallacy. At some point try to prove something. Saying you're frustrated doesn't mean anything. Saying JR said he wanted to and thought it was necessary doesn't mean anything.

How about we just won two cups with no enforcer. We won in 09 without an enforcer. Why would you want to change that?

And they provably provide no tangible benefit as per:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1935940-are-enforcers-still-valuable-to-nhl-teams

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Bonino = $4.1 million

Not quite accurate. Even if Reaves isn't playing, you still need a body there playing #4RW. NHL min is 650k. Which means the minimum difference is 1.55m.

Bonino + Reaves replacement = $4.75 million

Difference 1.55m

And he'll have had a worse off season if he doesn't. We need a replacement, and the options have always been limited.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad