Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Yeah, I got nuthin' ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
I still feel like the Reaves trade was useless. Archibald, Wilson and Kuhnhackl are all better players. Maybe even Rowney. Sprong, ZAR and Simon are knocking on the door and will probably play in the NHL this year. Reaves should be an extra imo.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still feel like the Reaves trade was useless. Archibald, Wilson and Kuhnhackl are all better players. Maybe even Rowney. Sprong, ZAR and Simon are knocking on the door and will probably play in the NHL this year. Reaves should be an extra imo.

What does Archibald do that Reaves can't do? I really don't get what people see in Archibald. He can skate fast, that's about it.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
What does Archibald do that Reaves can't do? I really don't get what people see in Archibald. He can skate fast, that's about it.

Skate fast, you're dismissing him because of his AHL numbers, even though he improved alot last year in the AHL. Also He is not afraid to hit. I thought Archibald provided a spark for us in the finals, I want my bottom six to be filled with players who skate fast and forecheck like crazy .(Rust,Hags,Wilson,Archibald) Even Di Pauli will soon be knocking on the door as a speedster in the bottom six. So waiving Archibald and losing him is no big deal, but still he's an NHLer.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal

For one he's a better skater than Reaves. His board work is impeccable, he rarely loses battles. He can be physical just like Reaves. He's got great vision and a good shot. He's also an elite penalty killer and I guarantee you he's better at it than most our current penalty killers. The only thing Reaves got on him is size and fighting ability. To me, Archibald is better than Kuhn, Reaves and Rowney. Maybe even Wilson.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Skate fast, you're dismissing him because of his AHL numbers, even though he improved alot last year in the AHL. Also He is not afraid to hit. I thought Archibald provided a spark for us in the finals, I want my bottom six to be filled with players who skate fast and forecheck like crazy .(Rust,Hags,Wilson,Archibald) Even Di Pauli will soon be knocking on the door as a speedster in the bottom six. So waiving Archibald and losing him is no big deal, but still he's an NHLer.

If you like forechecking, then I suggest you give Reaves a chance.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

I liked the trade when it happened and I still like it now, but I still think we paid a little too much to acquire him. The trade didn't have to be made at the draft for example, when they realized that Kostin was still on the board for example, they should have hanged on to the pick and tried to deal something else to the Blues

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I liked the trade when it happened and I still like it now, but I still think we paid a little too much to acquire him. The trade didn't have to be made at the draft for example, when they realized that Kostin was still on the board for example, they should have hanged on to the pick and tried to deal something else to the Blues

There is nothing to suggest they even had interest in Kostin, and every indication that they wanted Lauzon all along.

What's the problem?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Agreed.

And Ryan Reaves is not useless. Geez.

He's certainly not but he is a redundancy. When you have Kuhn, Rowney,ZAR,Archibald,Di Pauli,Sprong. He's not a clear upgrade over them. He wasn't worth giving up assets for, I'm not saying he's a goon, He can play, just that we also have 3-5 other players who can fill the RW on the 4th line just as well and even better than he.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
There is nothing to suggest they even had interest in Kostin, and every indication that they wanted Lauzon all along.

What's the problem?

Considering Reaves will most likely be gone by years end and isn't even really needed is the problem. Would have rather traded our 1st for 2 2nds. Could have gotten Lauzon and another kid.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

What's the problem?

I like Reaves and I think he brings something we need however I just don't think a 1st rounder was necessary to acquire a guy like Reaves.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For one he's a better skater than Reaves. His board work is impeccable, he rarely loses battles. He can be physical just like Reaves. He's got great vision and a good shot. He's also an elite penalty killer and I guarantee you he's better at it than most our current penalty killers. The only thing Reaves got on him is size and fighting ability. To me, Archibald is better than Kuhn, Reaves and Rowney. Maybe even Wilson.

I like how Archibald throws himself around for a smaller guy, but he is a smaller guy and there is no way in hell he's as physical as Reaves. Reaves is one of the last guys in the league you want to get hit by. Archibald isn't and he's not even close.

I'm also surprised Archibald hasn't had better AHL numbers if his vision and shot are that good.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Reaves doesn't have physicality on Archibald? What? Reaves can skate nearly as well as Archibald and hits like a truck. Archibald has nothing on Reaves. Reaves is Archibald plus fighting ability. If Archibald actually had great vision and a great shot, he wouldn't be a half PPG player in the AHL over his career.

If I had to make a guess, Archibald would hit 20 points if he'd play a full season on the 4th line. I have Reaves at like 15. Both would kill penalties, both are physical and both skate very well.

That's literally what Reaves does :laugh:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
He's certainly not but he is a redundancy. When you have Kuhn, Rowney,ZAR,Archibald,Di Pauli,Sprong. He's not a clear upgrade over them. He wasn't worth giving up assets for, I'm not saying he's a goon, He can play, just that we also have 3-5 other players who can fill the RW on the 4th line just as well and even better than he.

How is he a redundancy, when we literally have/had no one like him for several years? The redundancy is in many of the names you listed. However, Aston-Reese and Sprong are going to be top-9 forwards for us at some point, so Reaves changes nothing.

This is about Kuhnhackl, Rowney and Archibald. I'd take Reaves over any of those guys all day, every day. Di Pauli? Are you serious?

"Hey Sid, we had a chance to acquire Reaves from St. Louis, but we like Di Pauli better so we did not make the deal."

Come on.

Considering Reaves will most likely be gone by years end and isn't even really needed is the problem. Would have rather traded our 1st for 2 2nds. Could have gotten Lauzon and another kid.

We don't know if he is leaving after one year. He may play too well for us on the fourth line, and price himself out of Pittsburgh. If that happens, so be it. Still, how is that a bad thing.

I like Reaves and I think he brings something we need however I just don't think a 1st rounder was necessary to acquire a guy like Reaves.

Come on, LM 66. You are better than that. It was 20 spots in the draft, not a 1st rounder.

Then, poor drafting is the problem.

OK, so we are already throwing Lauzon under the bus?

Do you like Sprong? He was drafted. Do you like Guentzel? He was drafted.

I am giving the two-time Cup builders the benefit of the doubt, call me crazy.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Reaves doesn't have physicality on Archibald? What? Reaves can skate nearly as well as Archibald and hits like a truck. Archibald has nothing on Reaves. Reaves is Archibald plus fighting ability. If Archibald actually had great vision and a great shot, he wouldn't be a half PPG player in the AHL over his career.

Exactly. So if Archibald does what Reaves does. Why did we get him. We already have alot of wingers who are NHL ready like Archibald,Sprong or ZAR, Kuhn as well. Again, Reaves was not needed. Also Reaves isn't fast, He's fast for a big guy, but gets dusted by Archibald. Reaves is a fine 4th liner, but we already have like 8 players who can be fine 4th liners.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal

I meant it as both players bring that element not that Archibald is better at it. Anyway I just don't see Reaves putting up as many points as Archibald.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
How is he a redundancy, when we literally have/had no one like him for several years? The redundancy is in many of the names you listed. However, Aston-Reese and Sprong are going to be top-9 forwards for us at some point, so Reaves changes nothing.

This is about Kuhnhackl, Rowney and Archibald. I'd take Reaves over any of those guys all day, every day. Di Pauli? Are you serious?

"Hey Sid, we had a chance to acquire Reaves from St. Louis, but we like Di Pauli better so we did not make the deal."

Come on.

We don't know if he is leaving after one year. He may play too well for us on the fourth line, and price himself out of Pittsburgh. If that happens, so be it. Still, how is that a bad thing.

Come on, LM 66. You are better than that. It was 20 spots in the draft, not a 1st rounder.

OK, so we are already throwing Lauzon under the bus?

Do you like Sprong? He was drafted. Do you like Guentzel? He was drafted.

I am giving the two-time Cup builders the benefit of the doubt, call me crazy.

No. The pens could've still gotten Lauzon and Kostin. Draft Kostin and if You REALLY like Lauzon, trade for a 2nd. Hell most rankings had him going in the 3rd or 4th round.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Exactly. So if Archibald does what Reaves does. Why did we get him. We already have alot of wingers who are NHL ready like Archibald,Sprong or ZAR, Kuhn as well. Again, Reaves was not needed. Also Reaves isn't fast, He's fast for a big guy, but gets dusted by Archibald. Reaves is a fine 4th liner, but we already have like 8 players who can be fine 4th liners.

Well, minus hitting like a truck and fighting. And how can you possibly say Reaves isn't fast? He's a legitimately good skater. Reaves brings something the Penguins don't have: toughness. Archibald will just flat out never bring that. Whether you think that is necessary remains up to debate, but it's not like Archibald does anything that Reaves can't do.

I meant it as both players bring that element not that Archibald is better at it. Anyway I just don't see Reaves putting up as many points as Archibald.

I don't either, but I don't think the difference is significant at all. Maybe 5 point difference over a full season.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
On another topic, because I am already tired of defending our new enforcer, I watched Alex Galchenyuk live last night. Man, this guy has fallen almost as badly as his former linemate Yakupov did. He was terrible, and I know that Julien really dislikes his game.

I think he is going to be traded, maybe by the end of training camp.

The thing is, he needs to be rehabilitated, pardon the pun, because Montreal has destroyed his development. So, even if I still think he is salvageable, he is nowhere near ready to play third-line center for us. We would have to bring him along slowly on the fourth line, or on the wing (where we have no need for him).

So, I don't think he is in the discussion anymore. At one point I think JR had interest, but Galchenyuk's situation is ugly right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad