Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not sure if this is the problem. Maybe Comrie is just not that good? He had one short stint in the NHL as a backup, otherwise his stats were not good. Helle is one of the best goaltenders in the NHL in recent years.

Anderson was our best goalie last season and almost kept 91%, and that's with this kind of defense and injuries. Helle would be perfect.
In 2021-22, Comrie had a .920 Save% in Winnipeg and Helley had a .910.

Maybe it would work out great. I just think it is riskier than many would expect it to be.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
In 2021-22, Comrie had a .920 Save% in Winnipeg and Helley had a .910.

Maybe it would work out great. I just think it is riskier than many would expect it to be.
Yes, Comrie alone played 19 games then, one good season as a backup. Helle is almost always stable and plays a lot. We need Helle!

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Damn, if Doak is out on his idea after beating the goalie drum nonstop for 2 years .. maybe I’m wrong?

View attachment 708820

Look, you COULD make it work. He has no trade protection. But, from a pure asset point of view, you'd essentially be going all in for 1 year of a goalie. An elite goalie, yes. But, you are a pulled groin away from setting all those picks on fire if he doesn't sign an extension.

Now, you want to sign him to an extension, like 5 years, 45-50M, and say 'lets f***ing go' then sign me up. But...as much as I've suggested probably pretty unrealistic things like offersheets, I simply can't see the front office giving up both the assets and the contract it would require to make it work.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
The most I'd offer for Hellebuyck is UPL and one of Ostlund or Rosen. Even at that I don't see this making sense...
Hellebuyck is only signed for one more year and with how much faith this organization has in Levi, I don't see them resigning him or him even wanting to resign with us.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Connor to BUF rumor holds about as much weight as the perpetual running back to the Bills at the draft. You don't acquire a player on an expiring deal as a team that has not made the playoffs.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
With Levi and UPL it could again be a season of evaluation and development, it is both a risk and the team would have to take a step up. It's obvious to me that a reliable and proven goaltender is needed and there aren't many options on the market. Helle and Ullmark only come to mind, but Ullmark will not be there for obvious reasons.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The slant of the article is that Jersey and Buffalo are interested. I'm curious if it's more that they both have need and both have a younger-ish goaltender they could part with (Daws/UPL) as part of the return. Rentals are weird but it's interesting to hear that Adams is kicking around again.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The slant of the article is that Jersey and Buffalo are interested. I'm curious if it's more that they both have need and both have a younger-ish goaltender they could part with (Daws/UPL) as part of the return. Rentals are weird but it's interesting to hear that Adams is kicking around again.
We also have 1st in this draft, and the Devils don't, although I don't know if the Jets would go for it. But the draft is strong and they could use good prospects.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
If the price is reasonable, then shoot! But I am not a fan of spending a lot of assets and cap space on a goalie you haven't seen play in your system.

Reactions: Irie

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Damn, if Doak is out on his idea after beating the goalie drum nonstop for 2 years .. maybe I’m wrong?

View attachment 708820
We constantly argue against Doak because no one thinks Doak’s reasons for his opinions on Adams and the state of ownership are grounded in reality and factual evidence. They’re theories that while not supported by evidence can be seen as also not made impossible by evidence. Like when Doak says things like, I’m just able to see things in Adams words you can’t, not a quote but a summary from memory of a previous post. To the contrary, Doak disagreeing with you is a stamp of approval that at least you’re using different levels of reasoning. But we should never stereotype a post or poster because that doesn’t encourage improvement. Treat all people like Donny Granato would, don’t restrain their creativity but continue providing them with opportunities to learn and grow.

Like in this case, we can all agree that paying a goalie 6x9.5 is an insane idea regardless of what TSN is writing about. Check positive for Doak.

So we can assume either the tsn writer or CH agent is off in their estimates. If we look at goalie salaries across the league, I personally think 9.5 is a bit out there because all the comparables are negative. There isn’t a goalie on the list making over 6mil that isn’t overpaid badly and almost everyone is disastrously overpaid. So you’re limited now to teams with bad GMs and how many of those teams are both looking for and have the cap space to add 9.5mil for a FA goalie, ehh number might be zero but no more than 1 or 2. Personally I think it’s tough call, but is 7.5 still too much? Is shestys 6 too little? Either way I think it’s probably too much money to keep CH into his next contract. So I’d call him a rental as well.

Finally, is it actually too much to acquire CH as a rental? Honestly the teams I’d be most worried about blowing the fat wad on CH already blew said wads on rentals this off-season. Which leads me to rentals are expensive and Buffalo has an edge in still having this years pick and a deep prospect pool.

So, I’m forced to conclude that, yes in this case I think my position ends up being, if they acquired him I don’t think it’s the worst thing in the world because the Sabres could absorb that type of expensive both in terms of picks and prospects but I don’t think id do it because of the cost of acquisition and the cost of retention versus buffalos time line and other needs.

If I’m the leafs I do it all day everyday and twice on league holidays. As the Sabres, nothing is so important about next season to make it worth the cost. Well analyzed by Doak. I’m coming back up to hit the like and subscribe button.

However, I’m then unliking because Doak says it both makes no sense and then explains how Doak both sees a way it makes sense and wouldn’t be opposed to it, and that, doesn’t make sense.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm in favor of trading Adams for Helle, plus ideally for DeMelo as well.

I understand the fears of some, but finding a quality goalie is quite difficult, especially a proven and stable starter. Even if you look at UFA summer market and trades, there don’t seem to be many options that fit Buffalo and you still need to somehow find out if they fit the Buffalo system. It turns out that UPL and Comrie do not fit the Buffalo system? But Anderson does or what? I just don't know much about it, but are the Granato systems different from the Maurice and Bowness systems?

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
If he had even two years on his deal it would be perfect and I’d trade a lot. But he doesn’t.

Agreed. I like Helle based on how good he is and our need but what do we do after a year? I just think other teams have a bigger need for a long-term goalie than us - we're committed to it being Levi sooner than later, so we're not going to pay more than a team who sees Hellebuyck as their long term solution in goal.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The problem isn’t the player it’s the cost of acquiring him while having one year left. I’d be happy to extend him. Would they? Would he? Boston rolled out two great goalies and set a record. We could do that for a few years and I’d be happy to develop Levi alongside a stud goalie. But the risk of paying quality assets for maybe one year is a lot to ask

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Well, it's not a 100% rental, first of all he'll still have a whole season, maybe he'll get into the spirit of the new Sabres and want to stay. :)

Even then, 13OA is a pretty wild return for a goalie. Goalies don't move for 1sts often, much less high 1sts, and most trades where they do end up looking bad for the acquiring team.

Efectzoer

Jun 22, 2018
Helle wouldnt work out in buffalo unless we cut down on cross crease passes. Helle is very strong at stopping pucks coming right at him he can see. His lateral movement isn't that good and that's buffalos biggest weakness.

You can't just get any goalie and expect them to play at the same level as their previous teams. They all have strengths and weaknesses and team defensive systems play a big part in that.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Helle wouldnt work out in buffalo unless we cut down on cross crease passes. Helle is very strong at stopping pucks coming right at him he can see. His lateral movement isn't that good and that's buffalos biggest weakness.

You can't just get any goalie and expect them to play at the same level as their previous teams. They all have strengths and weaknesses and team defensive systems play a big part in that.
There was a podcast recently I think from pdocast that went into this. I couldn’t remember the player they said we should throw big assets after but I’m going to guess it was Saros. Who, btw, has two years left. But availability is different obviously

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

NHL offseason trade board: What we’re hearing about Jets stars, Leafs’ Core 4 and other targets​

Michael Russo and Eric Duhatschek
May 15, 2023

The other thing with the Helley talk, how many people really believe that Russo & Duhatschek have their fingers on the pulse of what Adams will be doing this offseason?

It seems to me like a lot of people are dismissing "insiders" that throw a rumor out there that they don't like and accepting "insiders" if they throw out a rumor that they do like.

If you seem to think that "insiders" never know what Adams is going to do, I would stay consistent even if it is an idea that you like.

:dunno:

Reactions: Dingo44

Efectzoer

Jun 22, 2018
There was a podcast recently I think from pdocast that went into this. I couldn’t remember the player they said we should throw big assets after but I’m going to guess it was Saros. Who, btw, has two years left. But availability is different obviously
Yea it was saros

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The other thing with the Helley talk, how many people really believe that Russo & Duhatschek have their fingers on the pulse of what Adams will be doing this offseason?

It seems to me like a lot of people are dismissing "insiders" that throw a rumor out there that they don't like and accepting "insiders" if they throw out a rumor that they do like.

If you seem to think that "insiders" never know what Adams is going to do, I would stay consistent even if it is an idea that you like.

:dunno:
I mean…to be fair…Russo has about the best track record there is in this business and if Adams does talk to someone about something…there’s a decent chance the other side of the phone call isn’t as quiet as Adams

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Even then, 13OA is a pretty wild return for a goalie. Goalies don't move for 1sts often, much less high 1sts, and most trades where they do end up looking bad for the acquiring team.
Well we have 2024 1st, 2nd, prospects. Although I'm not so keen on this choice. If we can get a goalie of this level for at least one year (maybe more) + DeMelo could be conditional, I'm all for it.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I would much prefer Saros but it really doesn't seem like Nashville will be keen to move him this off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad