Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't really invest a ton in cards for 2nd / 3rd pairing defenseman in good systems or ones who are in systems that get shelled.

It's very team style based and I think Holl would get chewed up in ours similar to Joki. Similar to I think if Jokiharju went to Boston his numbers would look pretty damn good.

For a prime example - Miller as a third pairing guy on a possession heavy machine in Vegas vs. what he could do in Buffalo.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Hoffman was traded for a 2nd in 2019 and a 4th and 5th in 2018 when SJS brokered his trade to Florida.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think holl would struggle mightily in our system.

There is a good chance a lot of the players that are being discussed around here as "saviours" would struggle if put in that 2nd pairing slot.

Is Carlo a completely new player? Or is he greatly benefiting from playing with Lindholm who has a tendency to make everyone he plays with look fantastic? The Carlo of 21-22 mostly paired with Reilly and Gryzelcyk drove Bruins fans crazy with his inconsistent play.

Fabbro looked good partnered with Josi, but looked like he wasn't fit for the 3rd pairing at times away from him.

If you move Lindgren away from Fox and pair him on his offside with 20 year old Power... how strong defensively would that pairing be?

Can Mayfield, who has played his entire career in a very structured defensive system, excel in Granato's loose, non-structured game?

There are some pretty legitimate question marks on 75% of the discussed players here.

Finding the "right" guy is going to be extremely challenging, despite what some posters think should be "an easy no-brainer".

Reactions: BritSabre

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
There is a good chance a lot of the players that are being discussed around here as "saviours" would struggle if put in that 2nd pairing slot.

Is Carlo a completely new player? Or is he greatly benefiting from playing with Lindholm who has a tendency to make everyone he plays with look fantastic? The Carlo of 21-22 mostly paired with Reilly and Gryzelcyk drove Bruins fans crazy with his inconsistent play.

Fabbro looked good partnered with Josi, but looked like he wasn't fit for the 3rd pairing at times away from him.

If you move Lindgren away from Fox and pair him on his offside with 20 year old Power... how strong defensively would that pairing be?

Can Mayfield, who has played his entire career in a very structured defensive system, excel in Granato's loose, non-structured game?

There are some pretty legitimate question marks on 75% of the discussed players here.

Finding the "right" guy is going to be extremely challenging, despite what some posters think should be "an easy no-brainer".
Until you try, you won't know. We don't even need to connect Lindgren to Power if anything.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Until you try, you won't know. We don't even need to connect Lindgren to Power if anything.

Personally I would not be against trying Lindgren with Dahlin and moving Sammy to play with Power, but if we are resorting to finding a new partner for Dahlin to free up Sameulsson, then I think Adams could do better than Lindgren if the cost is the 23 1st. Feels like bad value.

The problem with just grabbing whomever with the line of thinking, "won't know until you try", is that some of these players we are talking about all have extremely pricey acquisition costs. If they don't work out, it's a huge waste of assets and the team would still be searching for a solution and you risk sabotaging next season's playoff chances.

Not to mention then we have to listen to the same couple of Adams Haters in here posting "HE MADE THE WRONG CHOICE" six times a day, and no one wants that...

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Personally I would not be against trying Lindgren with Dahlin and moving Sammy to play with Power, but if we are resorting to finding a new partner for Dahlin to free up Sameulsson, then I think Adams could do better than Lindgren if the cost is the 23 1st. Feels like bad value.

The problem with just grabbing whomever with the line of thinking, "won't know until you try", is that some of these players we are talking about all have extremely pricey acquisition costs. If they don't work out, it's a huge waste of assets and the team would still be searching for a solution and you risk sabotaging next season's playoff chances.

Not to mention then we have to listen to the same couple of Adams Haters in here posting "HE MADE THE WRONG CHOICE" six times a day, and no one wants that...
Well, it's their job to make it work. It is clear that not every player will fit, but they have everything in order to find the top 4 D.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I could see Simashev being gone by 13. He is rising in drafts and a team like Detroit or Washington could snag him over ASP also Vancouver seems to be looking for a defenseman too. It wouldn't be surprising.
after Toronto being cautionary tale..KA looks masterful amd it looks like he'll keep anyone two years out try build it sll from his teams draft and analytics. The world will want to deal w him as Us Fla and Vgk are better off but We really look faster and stronger coming up against thr the only two teams we felt like we shouldve beat but didn't because we weren't ready.
There afe ten fifteen guys that can help us next year's camp and who knows who pushing for a spot beyond Savoie . It's quite the organizational complete turn around I wouldn't want to Play us. Rousek and Kozak are going to push for defensive forward spots..
It wouldn't surprise me to see 3 guys from inside really step upnif KA doesn't find a top paiir D will to Play 1B w power or a forward , top liner , that is willing to rotate first ti third line to add to this team..
I wouldn't be surprised if a Samsonov of the great Nashville goalie or Hellubuck comes here to push , most likely afyer trade deadline if our guys can Play into top ten in regular season ...
KA and Donny can be patient and aggressive holding quite the hand as team and prospects got a crash course in meaningful hockey and protecting themselves.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Russo speculates the Sabres being interested in Hellebuyck this summer, he obviously did not listen to KA's press conference.

The most pressing matters revolve around Hellebuyck and Scheifele, who come in at Nos. 1 and 2 on our first edition of the offseason trade board.

Hellebuyck is one of the NHL’s few true No. 1, workhorse goaltenders. He won the Vezina in 2020 and is a finalist again. How much is he going to want on a long-term deal? Currently making $6.16 million, he could command $9 million-plus on the open market. Can the Jets stomach that?

If he becomes available, don’t be surprised if Buffalo and New Jersey take big swings.

One thing we’ve heard early this offseason is that the Sabres have interest in Hellebuyck, with the belief that a genuine No. 1 goaltender could be the last remaining piece in turning them into contenders. Getting one would also allow them to hold off on turning the reins over to Devon Levi until he’s proven to be NHL-ready.

The Jets would want young team-controlled assets in exchange, and the Sabres have plenty of those — from a youngish goaltender in Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen to promising talents like Peyton Krebs and even Casey Mittelstadt.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
A player like Helle would be a good mentor for Levi. Coming into the season with Levi, UPL and Comrie, I don't know what to expect.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Love the player, I just don't see how to make it work.

If you believe in Levi, and I do, Hellebuyck is here for 1 year, and the cost won't be worth that.

I love Levi and believe in him as well, but putting all your eggs in a young and small goalie who is going to be rushed into the fire is a recipe for disaster.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Lingren is not worth 13OA. I don’t think the Rangers with give him a QO next summer Because of cap space/ arbitration risks.

even if he was acquired with a 2nd, the same issue applies with buffalo. He will want a long/ high contract that buffalo can’t do.

Love the player, I just don't see how to make it work.

If you believe in Levi, and I do, Hellebuyck is here for 1 year, and the cost won't be worth that.

He will be 30 shortly. With just 1 yr left, I don’t see how they could resign him. Would he be willing to sign a 2 yr extension?

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I'd love to add Hellebuyck, but you're going to be competing against teams who want to trade for him and then sign him long term, while we would most likely want him as a 1 year rental. There's going to be a few of those teams interested and I doubt we'll be willing to give up as much, so it seems unlikely to me.

If we're trading for a good goalie, I think Ullmark is more likely. He's signed for a couple more years, his team may need to dump salary, and while he has a no trade clause, we have no reason to think Buffalo would be on it. The question there is just whether Boston would be willing to trade him to us.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
He will be 30 shortly. With just 1 yr left, I don’t see how they could resign him. Would he be willing to sign a 2 yr extension?
Unsigned I’m sure he comes cheaper. If not, maybe he’s willing to do 2-3 years for huge money.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I’ve long thought that players just don’t get traded for the prices that fans tell themselves the player is worth. This will happen again in a Helle trade. How many times a year do fans say X GM could’ve beaten that offer!!!

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I'd love to add Hellebuyck, but you're going to be competing against teams who want to trade for him and then sign him long term, while we would most likely want him as a 1 year rental. There's going to be a few of those teams interested and I doubt we'll be willing to give up as much, so it seems unlikely to me.

If we're trading for a good goalie, I think Ullmark is more likely. He's signed for a couple more years, his team may need to dump salary, and while he has a no trade clause, we have no reason to think Buffalo would be on it. The question there is just whether Boston would be willing to trade him to us.
Ullmark won't work. He pissed on the fern when he left, and I don't think it's constructive to try to drag him back.

No reason why we couldn't resign Hellebuyck to a five-year contract with a 16-team NTC. If (and please keep in mind -- he's still an "if") Levi surpasses him, then Helle can be moved in three years.

Reactions: Fjordy and MOGlLNY

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I’ve long thought that players just don’t get traded for the prices that fans tell themselves the player is worth. This will happen again in a Helle trade. How many times a year do fans say X GM could’ve beaten that offer!!!
Winnipeg fans seem like they’d be fine with just a 1st. We can add and beat that.

Ullmark won't work. He pissed on the fern when he left, and I don't think it's constructive to try to drag him back.

No reason why we couldn't resign Hellebuyck to a five-year contract with a 16-team NTC. If (and please keep in mind -- he's still an "if") Levi surpasses him, then Helle can be moved in three years.
Absolutely, I’m of the exact same mind. Who better to mentor Levi than the guy whose college career he mirrored?

Reactions: Diaspora

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
You should take a look at the Jets board for some of the values they are putting on Helle from the Sabres. I've seen them putting out things like 13th, Kulich or Savoie & UPL. There was a recent one of 13th, Krebs and Levi. Some of them are pretty out there.

Is he worth some of those asks? Maybe. But he's 1 year from UFA with no guarantee he will extend. There is also the potential of him wanting a Vasi type contract long term, which you know some team would give him in UFA.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Looking at Comrie behind Winnipeg's D and behind Buffalo's D makes me wary of trading for Helley and expecting him to be a great fit behind this defense.

Fit matters when it comes to goalies.
Huh? Winnipeg’s defense was brutal until this year and had a Big Buff sized hole. Also their best forwards infamously refuse to play both ends of the ice. It’s their whole shtick.

Bowness should be considered a miracle worker the fact he got them to care for 70% of the year. Hellebuyck would be fine. As long as he wouldn’t be the only addition to stopping goals.

Reactions: Fjordy

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Huh? Winnipeg’s defense was brutal until this year and had a Big Buff sized hole. Also their best forwards infamously refuse to play both ends of the ice. It’s their whole shtick.

Bowness should be considered a miracle worker the fact he got them to care for 70% of the year. Hellebuyck would be fine. As long as he wouldn’t be the only addition to stopping goals.
All I'm saying is that the trade acquisition cost and a potential contract extension might end up being way more than the result that Helley gives behind this D. Especially since I am not convinced that the east to west chances that the Sabres bleed are the types of chances that Helley is good at stopping.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Hellbuyck doesn't make any sense.

With the premium you'd have to pay, you have to immediately sign him to a long term extension. I'm not opposed to that plan as its probably the quickest way to contention and solves the goalie issue for at least a few seasons. However, with the comps being in the mid 9s to high 10s, it essentially blows your salary structure up pretty quick.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Looking at Comrie behind Winnipeg's D and behind Buffalo's D makes me wary of trading for Helley and expecting him to be a great fit behind this defense.

Fit matters when it comes to goalies.
Not sure if this is the problem. Maybe Comrie is just not that good? He had one short stint in the NHL as a backup, otherwise his stats were not good. Helle is one of the best goaltenders in the NHL in recent years.

Anderson was our best goalie last season and almost kept 91%, and that's with this kind of defense and injuries. Helle would be perfect.

Reactions: Diaspora

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Hellbuyck doesn't make any sense.

With the premium you'd have to pay, you have to immediately sign him to a long term extension. I'm not opposed to that plan as its probably the quickest way to contention and solves the goalie issue for at least a few seasons. However, with the comps being in the mid 9s to high 10s, it essentially blows your salary structure up pretty quick.
Damn, if Doak is out on this idea after beating the goalie drum nonstop for 2 years .. maybe I’m wrong?

A6AB445C-3610-4F1A-80E6-05A29B34339E.png

Last edited:

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Not sure if this is the problem. Maybe Comrie is just not that good? He had one short stint in the NHL as a backup, otherwise his stats were not good. Helle is one of the best goaltenders in the NHL in recent years.

Anderson was our best goalie last season and almost kept 91%, and that's with this kind of defense and injuries. Helle would be perfect.
If they're tearing it down, I'd offer 13OA + 45OA + UPL + Bryson (if they want him) for Bucky and DeMelo. The overs/unders on each piece balance out, and we resolve two issues at once.

Reactions: Jacob582 and Fjordy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad