Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I would much prefer Saros but it really doesn't seem like Nashville will be keen to move him this off-season.
And Saros would be a great option. I would prefer any reliable and proven goaltenderr who can play at least 40 games in a season. But there doesn't seem to be many options. And I'm not at all confident in our current goalier. I believe in Levi in the future, but I don't believe in Comrie and UPL.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I mean…to be fair…Russo has about the best track record there is in this business and if Adams does talk to someone about something…there’s a decent chance the other side of the phone call isn’t as quiet as Adams
Duhatshek is an NHL writer with previous experience covering the Flames. He had no rumors of note about the Sabres from around the trade deadline.

Russo covers the Wild and the NHL and rarely has Sabres rumors. And he didn't seem to be linking Greenway to the Sabres much before it happened.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
The problem isn’t the player it’s the cost of acquiring him while having one year left. I’d be happy to extend him. Would they? Would he? Boston rolled out two great goalies and set a record. We could do that for a few years and I’d be happy to develop Levi alongside a stud goalie. But the risk of paying quality assets for maybe one year is a lot to ask
Out of curiosity I checked Evolving Hockey. They have a Hellebuyck extension listed as (with percentage likelihood):

8x$9.064M (30%)
7x$8.718M (25%)
6x$8.480M (16%)
5x$8.214M (16%)

I’d do 5 years; not sure I’d be comfortable doing any more that that. And committing $8 million for that term with Levi in the hopper…just not convinced that’s a good idea. And I don’t think he’d take less term without testing the UFA market.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Well we have 2024 1st, 2nd, prospects. Although I'm not so keen on this choice. If we can get a goalie of this level for at least one year (maybe more) + DeMelo could be conditional, I'm all for it.
Except this goalie needs anew contract in 1 year - those goalies don't move for high 1sts unless they have a contract agreed to. No way sabres are taking on a 1 year goalie - or paying one 9 mil a year for the next 7 years after that with Levi in the coffer

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Out of curiosity I checked Evolving Hockey. They have a Hellebuyck extension listed as (with percentage likelihood):

8x$9.064M (30%)
7x$8.718M (25%)
6x$8.480M (16%)
5x$8.214M (16%)

I’d do 5 years; not sure I’d be comfortable doing any more that that. And committing $8 million for that term with Levi in the hopper…just not convinced that’s a good idea. And I don’t think he’d take less term without testing the UFA market.
I would be shocked if Adams trades for him and gives him 5x$8.2M.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Agents to Insiders, Just mention the Sabre's to stir the market on a upcoming available player (lots of cap, need etc.), or to help get my client out of that market :D

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I can't describe how useless that 13OA (and the inevitable fancy-pants forward it will bring) are to this roster. It means a whole hell of a lot more to Winnipeg. They will be bleeding top-end talent for a couple of years.

Reactions: Push Dr Tracksuit

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
We just watched a 40+ year old be the only decent goalie on the roster for two seasons and people are worried about a goalie turning 32 while under contract. Amazing.

Reactions: Fjordy

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
This isn’t a point about goalie so much as the whole roster…but there is way too much “well…any D they acquire has to be 24 or younger to fit our timeline” talk around here. No. They have plenty of young players with even younger players behind them. They need fully formed steady quality players to compliment those players and replace guys who are walking mistakes. So and so player will be 31 when his contract ends! …. So? Power doesn’t need a developing player to play with. He needs a quality one. Not every player on the team has to be here in 2028.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

I would not be thrilled to have Helley signed for big money for 6 years that will be the majority of his 30s with Levi waiting in the wings.

They need a 2-3 year bridge goalie and not a 6 year guy.

5x8.2 was the description, yes? I wouldn't offer more than five years.

If you need to move him after three years, send him out west for a 2nd and retain on him if you need to. Assuming he earns his keep, it's well worth the pick to get him in here now.

We're in a new phase. It's win-now without any desperation.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
5x8.2 was the description, yes? I wouldn't offer more than five years.

If you need to move him after three years, send him out west for a 2nd and retain on him if you need to. Assuming he earns his keep, it's well worth the pick to get him in here now.

We're in a new phase. It's win-now without any desperation.
He is under contract for 23-24. A 5 year extension would start after this season. Thus Helley would be under contract with the Sabres for 6 seasons.

With all the talk about not blocking prospects and how in love Adams seems to be with Levi, I just don't see how it all fits together.

Adams has not talked about being in win now mode. And trading for Helley and giving him a big extension before he plays a single game sure seems like a desperation move.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Except this goalie needs anew contract in 1 year - those goalies don't move for high 1sts unless they have a contract agreed to. No way sabres are taking on a 1 year goalie - or paying one 9 mil a year for the next 7 years after that with Levi in the coffer
The cap structure gets really dicey when you put that together with an extended Helley too. It reduces what you can reasonably spend on an upgrade to partner with Power and still have a reasonable amount of cap to spend on all the other players who will need new deals after next season and the following year. At 6 he works, at 8+ he becomes a bit of a cap issue.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
We just watched a 40+ year old be the only decent goalie on the roster for two seasons and people are worried about a goalie turning 32 while under contract. Amazing.
Who are these people worried about him being 32? I saw 1 poster mention him being signed through a majority of his 30's. Most have discussed the contract implications long term, not his age. At this point it's like you're TRYING to find something to take issue with.

Paying him 8+ long term could present some cap issues, especially if Levi is as good as advertised.

Reactions: Irie

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
especially if Levi is as good as advertised.
I really like Levi, but we have no idea how he will play in the NHL, especially giving him a big load right away would be strange and it's not like Adams.

Our other two goalies have stats: 88,6% and 89,2% + 3.6 GAA and don't look good. It seems obvious that we need goalie.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I really like Levi, but we have no idea how he will play in the NHL, especially giving him a big load right away would be strange and it's not like Adams.

Our other two goalies have stats: 88,6% and 89,2% + 3.6 GAA and don't look good. It seems obvious that we need goalie.

And goalie goes hand in hand with being one of if not THE worst rush defending and high danger defending teams in the league. That's where Saros is the better option - his stuff against cross slot passes and HDCA is better. Hellebuyck is a lot more settled in how he makes his stops - we even saw it when Buffalo went into Winnipeg and got him moving to exploit him (and they did that to Oettinger on that trip too).

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
And goalie goes hand in hand with being one of if not THE worst rush defending and high danger defending teams in the league. That's where Saros is the better option - his stuff against cross slot passes and HDCA is better. Hellebuyck is a lot more settled in how he makes his stops - we even saw it when Buffalo went into Winnipeg and got him moving to exploit him (and they did that to Oettinger on that trip too).
Well Saros is available? What the hell is Nashville going to do and why the hell is Trotz a GM now? Really? o_O

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If they're tearing it down, I'd offer 13OA + 45OA + UPL + Bryson (if they want him) for Bucky and DeMelo. The overs/unders on each piece balance out, and we resolve two issues at once.
They'd want Jokiharju before Bryson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad