Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I believe (definitely not certain) we offered him the exact same contract he got in Boston, he chose Boston. Certainly not faulting him on that choice, that’s for sure.
I think that’s right. I know at least one report said we wouldn’t give him the fourth year…but that always seemed crazy to me timeline wise. Two years left in a good goalie right now is perfect timing. They’d have known that then too.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I think that’s right. I know at least one report said we wouldn’t give him the fourth year…but that always seemed crazy to me timeline wise. Two years left in a good goalie right now is perfect timing. They’d have known that then too.

I’ve always assumed that report was about us not being willing offer a 5th year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I think this works out like Chychrun in that Adams kicks the tires and is unwilling to pay the freight to land him. My guess is that it would take a piece or two that Adams is unwilling to deal to get Helley.

And then he'll go after Ullmark or Gibson. :sarcasm:

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

I think this works out like Chychrun in that Adams kicks the tires and is unwilling to pay the freight to land him. My guess is that it would take a piece or two that Adams is unwilling to deal to get Helley.

Also he is free in the offseason technically. Terrible asset management for one year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Gibson has been a rumor before and nothing has happened.

Again, I doubt that Adams pays the freight. And honestly, I do not have a lot of confidence in Gibson playing behind a bad defense like Buffalo has.
Well, Gibson could then refuse, but now he will agree. Bad defense? You saw the Anaheim defense in recent seasons, our defense is very reliable compared to theirs. With Dahlin, Mule, Power + add top 4 D and everything looks not bad. It remains to slightly improve the depth.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I need to manifest this into existence.

It's good to know who fits in. We should probably find coach with a similar system to Granato? And then see what goalies this coach played well. Or maybe there are goalies in the league who adapt and play well in any system?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's good to know who fits in. We should probably find coach with a similar system to Granato? And then see what goalies this coach played well. Or maybe there are goalies in the league who adapt and play well in any system?
Most goalies have strengths and weaknesses when it comes to how they win. The key is to find a goalie that is better against the kinds of chances your team gives up as opposed to those that your team does not give up a lot.

These are the types of chances the Sabres gave up a lot. They need goalies that can read the play and beat the pass on their feet so that they are in a position to make a save at a high rate.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Those are two very different trades. Ullmark would be a great get; Gibson and his bloated contract would likely be cheaper but I’d want no part of him in Buffalo.
It would be strange to trade for Ullmark, but he is a quality goalie and I think his tandem with Levi could be good.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Most goalies have strengths and weaknesses when it comes to how they win. The key is to find a goalie that is better against the kinds of chances your team gives up as opposed to those that your team does not give up a lot.

These are the types of chances the Sabres gave up a lot. They need goalies that can read the play and beat the pass on their feet so that they are in a position to make a save at a high rate.

;)

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
??? = more than Adams wants to give up.
Do you think Ullmark will cost a ton? Grzelcyk didn't play that much last season and he has one year UFA, in fact he is defenseman of the third pair. I think he would look good with Boosh. The rights to Clifton are worth next to nothing. I would think something around UPL + Joki + pick maybe.

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Clifton
Grzelcyk - Boosh
Stillman

Ullmark
Levi

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Do you think Ullmark will cost a ton? Grzelcyk didn't play that much last season and he has one year UFA, in fact he is defenseman of the third pair. I think he would look good with Boosh. The rights to Clifton are worth next to nothing. I would think something around UPL + Joki + pick maybe.
I think Boston could definitely get a significant return for Ullmark. Assuming he wins the Vezina, he's still signed for 2 years at a very reasonable cap hit. He's only had 1 season that he posted a save % below .913, and he did that playing mostly for the Sabres. He's been extremely consistent, and the only knocks would be his injury history and playoff performances though he's been fairly healthy in Boston.

Edit: I mean significant as far as goalie returns go, since half of them get traded for 3rd round picks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Gibson has been a rumor before and nothing has happened.

Again, I doubt that Adams pays the freight. And honestly, I do not have a lot of confidence in Gibson playing behind a bad defense like Buffalo has.

To Gibson, I know Marty has expressed he thinks Gibson is washed repeatedly, even as recently as a few weeks ago at Duff's prodding. Since he works for the team and hasn't shift or silenced his stance, I suspect he's not on their shopping list.

Reactions: Jim Bob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad