Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Helle + DeMelo

Saros + Fabbro

Ullmark/Swayman + Carlo (Clifton in UFA) - though I don't believe Adams wants Ullmark return

Will a guy like Gustavsson be available?

Samsonov?

Hill or Thompson (Vegas)

Vanecek? If Devils trade for Helle

Jarry in UFA?

Hart?

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
13OA is useless but don't dare put Joker on the table. Wake me up when September ends.
I think he's better than Stillman or Bryson, don't you?

Make another move and improve on him. If we're going to contend, I think we need a top 4 quality defenseman on the third pair. For depth, to prevent overworking the top four, to move up when there are injuries.

Reactions: Matt Ress

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I know he can also re-sign with Vegas? Especially when now he will play in the final for them. It's not that Hill was some very proven goalie and I don't know if he would fit the Granato system.
Yea, I haven't seen much of Hill to know how he plays. Vegas could be in a weird spot with goalies in the offseason. They still have Lehner, but who knows if he'll play again or not.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
13OA is useless but don't dare put Joker on the table. Wake me up when September ends.

Make another move and improve on him. If we're going to contend, I think we need a top 4 quality defenseman on the third pair. For depth, to prevent overworking the top four, to move up when there are injuries.
Can Joki play LD at all? Then they could connect him to Boosh. Or how do we connect them if Adams finds the top 4 RD. It is unlikely that one of the Joki and Bush will sit in the press box, and Bryson or Stillman will play.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Can Joki play LD at all? Then they could connect him to Boosh. Or how do we connect them if Adams finds the top 4 RD. It is unlikely that one of the Joki and Bush will sit in the press box, and Bryson or Stillman will play.
Joker hasn't played much on the left side, but the minutes he did play there from what I can see on Moneypuck were not good. I mean downright terrible, even as bad as the Sabres were in 20-21, his minutes on the left were still near the bottom.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

I think syphilis is better than Bryson. Assuming Joker will be a quality third pair guy of any kind is a guess though. He’s been bad with a great partner…I don’t know if easier usage at home will make him good. I haven’t seen anything make him good. Giving him less minutes makes the minutes he’s not playing better. Not him.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

We could move him for an equivalent or better LHD. Don't love him.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’d push the chips in for Saros but like I already said, don’t see Nashville going for that.
That’s where I’m at. I’d put together a big trade for him. He’s a perfect fit. But he’s not likely available. That’s ok. They don’t NEED a best goalie in the league candidate. They just have to stop cheating out on worst goalie in the league candidates. There are a bunch of guys in between Comrie and Saros. Try harder. Spend more. Get one.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

I hear ya. I actually would prefer Stillman but I can see the other side.

I'm not against moving 13 but I'd want it to be for a great fit, as apposed to some of the proposals I've seen it tossed into. I wouldn't want to move the pick for a contract we'll regret in a couple years. But yeah we need to upgrade D for sure. I think we will go into next year with the same goalies but I would prefer a proven 1B.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
Helly
Tom Wilson
One of the many two-way vet centers that can win faceoffs that should be available
Top-4 defenseman

Let's go win The Cup.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Sure, the idea of a great starter for one year as a hold-over for Levi sounds good. Except Wpg isn't going to take an offer in line with that value. Other teams in need will pay a price that's in line with paying for a good starter that they're going to do everything to re-sign on a long-term deal. I don't want KA to match or beat that price.

This is going into another area, but I almost want to see the shaky goalie position to force Granato et al to coach/play a tighter checking game, out of semi-desperation to protect whoever is in the crease. I hope that Granato can bluntly counter any false hopes/notions that the skaters might have, but I don't want the team to come back in October thinking "hell we have Helley so we can blow the zone all night every night". The team needs to commit to being defensively responsible. Maybe having Levi/UPL/Comrie all season enhances the urgency to do so. Ideally, there's a mid-range option for a low-mid range price. Depends what role they think Levi should have.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sure, the idea of a great starter for one year as a hold-over for Levi sounds good. Except Wpg isn't going to take an offer in line with that value. Other teams in need will pay a price that's in line with paying for a good starter that they're going to do everything to re-sign on a long-term deal. I don't want KA to match or beat that price.

I’m torn on this one. To me the perfect offseason in goal is upgrading Comrie. Then start with Upgrade/UPL in NHL and Levy in Rochester.

We’ve had to use 6 and 3 goalies respectively the last two seasons due to injury. I’d like to keep that type of depth.

This is going into another area, but I almost want to see the shaky goalie position to force Granato et al to coach/play a tighter checking game, out of semi-desperation to protect whoever is in the crease. I hope that Granato can bluntly counter any false hopes/notions that the skaters might have, but I don't want the team to come back in October thinking "hell we have Helley so we can blow the zone all night every night". The team needs to commit to being defensively responsible. Maybe having Levi/UPL/Comrie all season enhances the urgency to do so. Ideally, there's a mid-range option for a low-mid range price. Depends what role they think Levi should have.
Adams recent WGR interviewed talked about Donny’s approach the last couple years was about building confidence in the NHL with offense. Now he’s going to focus on the details to clean up their defensive game. We’ll see how it plays out.

Last edited:

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Ullmark won't work. He pissed on the fern when he left, and I don't think it's constructive to try to drag him back.

No reason why we couldn't resign Hellebuyck to a five-year contract with a 16-team NTC. If (and please keep in mind -- he's still an "if") Levi surpasses him, then Helle can be moved in three years.
I dont remember Ullmark saying anything but warm words about his time in Buffalo.

I'd be fine with signing Helle, I just can't see Adams doing that based on everything he's ever said and done.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
We don’t know exactly what happened with Ullmark. There was a rumor we offered less term at the same dollar. There was a rumor the offers were the same and he chose Boston (which…worked out). I never heard he hated it here or anything. He made a business decision no one would argue with. Business people don’t hold grudges over that, usually.

Reactions: joshjull

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
We don’t know exactly what happened with Ullmark. There was a rumor we offered less term at the same dollar. There was a rumor the offers were the same and he chose Boston (which…worked out). I never heard he hated it here or anything. He made a business decision no one would argue with. Business people don’t hold grudges over that, usually.
Yeah I don't recall him ever saying anything negative. Given the state of the team now, I think there's a decent chance he'd waive.

Reactions: joshjull

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I believe (definitely not certain) we offered him the exact same contract he got in Boston, he chose Boston. Certainly not faulting him on that choice, that’s for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad