Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
You should learn to read

“Joker will look surprisingly better when his partner isn’t 20”

Fine let’s break it down. This sentence puts the onus for Joker’s play on his partner’s inexperience. Meanwhile…Joker’s problems are

1. He passes handgrenages up the wall instead of utilizing his offensive minded defensive partner. He stifles what makes Power special because he lacks offensive IQ

2. He throws badly timed point shots for easy turnovers, again, instead of utilizing his partner because he lacks offensive IQ

3. He constantly wanders to the wrong side of the ice leaving his man open for backdoor tapins (it’s why so many highlights against show Joker standing in the crease…looking the wrong way). Power often has his man covered…looks to his right…and sees Joker has made his way where he shouldn’t be again.

So you can explain to me…what you think it is about Owen Power being 20 that has any effect on Jokiharju not having the awareness in either zone. Awareness that he’s shown not to have with Dahlin for years. Dahlin isn’t 20.

Teach to me read.

Explain to me how his partner carrying him even further as he improves says anything positive about the lump of shit he’s carrying up and down the ice. Explain to me how that anchor will even allow Power to reach his potential when he’s throwing away possession and defending like someone who has never played defense before? Better yet…explain why he’s worse with Dahlin. Who, again, is not 20. Thus disproving your entire snarky bullshit take that makes you sound like you have less awareness than Jokiharju

You should learn to watch hockey

Reactions: Fjordy

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
“Joker will look surprisingly better when his partner isn’t 20”

Fine let’s break it down. This sentence puts the onus for Joker’s play on his partner’s inexperience. Meanwhile…Joker’s problems are

1. He passes handgrenages up the wall instead of utilizing his offensive minded defensive partner. He stifles what makes Power special because he lacks offensive IQ

2. He throws badly timed point shots for easy turnovers, again, instead of utilizing his partner because he lacks offensive IQ

3. He constantly wanders to the wrong side of the ice leaving his man open for backdoor tapins (it’s why so many highlights against show Joker standing in the crease…looking the wrong way). Power often has his man covered…looks to his right…and sees Joker has made his way where he shouldn’t be again.

So you can explain to me…what you think it is about Owen Power being 20 that has any effect on Jokiharju not having the awareness in either zone. Awareness that he’s shown not to have with Dahlin for years. Dahlin isn’t 20.

Teach to me read.

Explain to me how his partner carrying him even further as he improves says anything positive about the lump of shit he’s carrying up and down the ice. Explain to me how that anchor will even allow Power to reach his potential when he’s throwing away possession and defending like someone who has never played defense before? Better yet…explain why he’s worse with Dahlin. Who, again, is not 20. Thus disproving your entire snarky bullshit take that makes you sound like you have less awareness than Jokiharju

You should learn to watch hockey

Neither Power nor Jokiharju had particularly good advanced stats, but Power's were worse, with more offensive deployment.

Dahlin-Jokiharju had better advanced stats than Dahlin-Power.

The only defensive parings with >100minutes and worse xG% than Power-Jokiharju were:

1. Power-Lyubushkin
2. Power-Clague (blech)
3. Bryson-Clague (double blech)

Power-Samuelsson was the only pairing with better xG% than Dahlin-Jokiharju

Power did really well with the eye test, he had better on-ice goal % than Dahlin; but he gave up 25% more HDCA/60 than Jokiharju. He ran really hot.

I think Power is the superior player long term, and like virtually every other player too young to drink, struggles with defense.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
3. Anderson 90,7%, UPL 89,2%, Comrie 88,6%
I’m pretty sure he’s arguing better team defense improves those numbers.
7. Joker is not suitable to play with Dahlin or Power, so he has no place in the top 4. He cannot play LD (as I was told) and I would prefer Boosh in the third pair with his skills over Joker. Joker looks like a guy who likes to move the puck and go on the offensive. No place
Joker can play with Boosh on 3rd pair. I don‘t know where the idea Joker can’t play the left side came from or why he needs to be run out of town.
8. I understand about internal improvements in attack, but I don’t see them in defense and goalkeeping. We expect Levi to be this help, but we need another goalie.
The defence can improve internally just from the growth and improvement of Power and Sammy. They were a rookie and almost rookie last year. They is more to come from both, especially Power.

Goaltending is hard to nail down with what we have and not knowing how they will be used (2 goalies? 3 headed monster?). UPL was a rookie who swung between highs and lows last year. If he can even things out he should have a better numbers. Levi is mostly an unknown but had as great end of this season. Comrie I don‘t expect much from but being healthy should help.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Joker can play with Boosh on 3rd pair. I don‘t know where the idea Joker can’t play the left side came from Or why he needs to be run out of town.
I asked about it here yesterday, they told me that he was terrible there and the stats confirm this.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I’m pretty sure he’s arguing better team defense improves those numbers.
I mean Anderson, even with such a defense, showed good statistics, but the UPL and Comrie did not.
The defence can improve internally just from the growth and improvement of Power and Sammy. They were a rookie and almost rookie last year. They certainly haven’t peaked as players.

Goaltending is hard to nail down with what we have and not knowing how they will be used. UPL was a rookie who swung between highs and lows last year. Levi is mostly an unknown but had as great end of this season. Comrie I don‘t expect much from but being healthy.should help.
But the problem is not Samuelsson and Power or Dahlin. We don't have anyone but them. We need to improve defense and find a goalie. After all, Adams has already said that he will improve the defense and wanted to do it last season. Apparently he is also looking for goale.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don‘t know where the idea Joker can’t play the left side came from or why he needs to be run out of town.

They've tried him on the left several times and the results have been abysmal -- both on the eye test and in the fancy stats.

I'd rather have Boosh on the 3rd pair than Joker. I don't need to run Joker out of town per se, but if we get Power (or Dahlin) a new partner, I struggle to find a place for him in the lineup.

Reactions: Fly Boy and Fjordy

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I asked about it here yesterday, they told me that he was terrible there and the stats confirm this.

He might be terrible off-hand; it's hard to say. The only sizable stretch was 85 minutes with Miller in '20-'21, by the numbers quite ugly.

I mean Anderson, even with such a defense, showed good statistics, but the UPL and Comrie did not.

But the problem is not Samuelsson and Power or Dahlin. We don't have anyone but them. We need to improve defense and find a goalie. After all, Adams has already said that he will improve the defense and wanted to do it last season. Apparently he is also looking for goale.

Power has a lot of ceiling to improve his defense.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd rather run a Still-Boosh-iharju trio on the third pairing so that they have the depth if/when someone in the top 4 goes on the shelf rather than again being forced to grind Dahlin or Power into nubs (if it isn't them) or be reduced to dark rituals if it is one of those two. Injecting someone into the depth chart above Jokiharju is a great idea.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Power has a lot of ceiling to improve his defense.
I know, but that doesn't mean he has to carry Joker now or anyone else. Find him a good partner.

I'd rather run a Still-Boosh-iharju trio on the third pairing so that they have the depth if/when someone in the top 4 goes on the shelf rather than again being forced to grind Dahlin or Power into nubs (if it isn't them) or be reduced to dark rituals if it is one of those two. Injecting someone into the depth chart above Jokiharju is a great idea.
I would prefer like this:

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - xxxx
xxxx - Boosh
Stillman

But your option is also possible

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I just have to wonder how forward deployment with Powers pairings effected his analytics. We know how bad our forwards were defensively.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I dont remember Ullmark saying anything but warm words about his time in Buffalo.

I'd be fine with signing Helle, I just can't see Adams doing that based on everything he's ever said and done.
Actions speak louder than words. He wanted out and he left Adams holding the bag.

Probably right about Adams' likely outcome

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I know, but that doesn't mean he has to carry Joker now or anyone else. Find him a good partner.

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - xxxx
xxxx - Boosh
Stillman

You can do that and rotate Boosh/Joker on the 3rd pairing. Nothing wrong with carrying 2 D and 1 F as your extras. Dmen seem more susceptible to injury, and probably could use breaks more often given the minutes many of them play.

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - xxxx
xxxx - Boosh
Stillman/Joker

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - xxxx
xxxx - Boosh
Stillman

That requires finding 2 defensemen.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
That requires finding 2 defensemen.
Yeap, well, finding LD in the third pair will be much easier than a top 4 RD.

You can do that and rotate Boosh/Joker on the 3rd pairing. Nothing wrong with carrying 2 D and 1 F as your extras. Dmen seem more susceptible to injury, and probably could use breaks more often given the minutes many of them play.

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - xxxx
xxxx - Boosh
Stillman/Joker
I don't know if Joker would want to sit in the press box, if anything, but that would be good depth. Although I'm completely open to him trading on the right trade.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeap, well, finding LD in the third pair will be much easier than a top 4 RD.

I don't know if Joker would want to sit in the press box, if anything, but that would be good depth. Although I'm completely open to him trading on the right trade.

Finding a better fit for Jokiharju and moving Jokiharju doesn't solve not having good depth in case a top four defenseman goes out with injury though.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Finding a better fit for Jokiharju and moving Jokiharju doesn't solve not having good depth in case a top four defenseman goes out with injury though.
I mean, if we need to include Jokiharju in a deal for a top 4 RD for example, then I can easily do it. I don't mind if he stays and competes with Boosh for a place in the third pair.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Buffalo and Anaheim seem like good trading partners.

Comtois, Jones, and one of their RHD (Helleson, Warren, Luneau) would be good additions. Buffalo has some players they could offer to a younger rebuilding team that might be attractive to them.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buffalo and Anaheim seem like good trading partners.

Comtois, Jones, and one of their RHD (Helleson, Warren, Luneau) would be good additions. Buffalo has some players they could offer to a younger rebuilding team that might be attractive to them.

Luneau just won the Q defenseman of the year. I don't think they're keen to move him at this time. Warren is coming off a season ending injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der Jaeger

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Pretty doubtful Johnson signs, but wouldn’t be opposed to having him and Stillman as the 7 and 8th dmen. That is if we get two of Graves/Severson/Soucy/Mayfield/Clifton/trade target for the top 6. I think that drastically improves the d core.

Samuelsson-Dahlin
Power-Severson/Mayfield/Clifton/trade
Graves/Soucy/trade-Boosh
Stillman-Johnson/depth signing

Adding two quality veterans and removing Joker would be a positive.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
They've tried him on the left several times and the results have been abysmal -- both on the eye test and in the fancy stats.

I'd rather have Boosh on the 3rd pair than Joker. I don't need to run Joker out of town per se, but if we get Power (or Dahlin) a new partner, I struggle to find a place for him in the lineup.
No they haven’t. If Granato wanted to try Joker on the left side then he would have given him a long leash to see if he could figure it out. Think Mitts on the wing, who took 3-4 weeks to get comfortable before he took off. Joker was never given that opportunity because we didn’t have someone to replace him in the top 4. His time on the left side was either in game adjustments due to special teams/injuries or 1 or 2 games here and there.

Saying he can’t play the left side with those types of sample sizes is on par with saying Mitts isn‘t wing after his first 3 games there.

The sample sizes of Joker’s minutes with righties under Granato is tiny.

Previous season
Pysyk -> 31mins
Fitz ——> 19mins
Miller —-> 10mins

This past season
Boosh -> 26mins
FItz —-> 5mins

91mins total

He played more minutes (109mins) with Power in the last 8gms of 21-22 than he did the last two season with righties.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diaspora

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
No they haven’t. If Granato wanted to try Joker on the left side then he would have given him a long leash to see if he could figure it out. Think Mitts on the wing, who took 3-4 weeks to get comfortable before he took off. Joker was never given that opportunity because we didn’t have someone to replace him in the top 4. His time on the left side was either in game adjustments due to special teams/injuries or 1 or 2 games here and there.

Saying he can’t play the left side with those types of sample sizes is on par with saying Mitts isn‘t wing after his first 3 games there.

The sample sizes of Joker’s minutes with righties under Granato is tiny.

Previous season
Pysyk -> 31mins
Fitz ——> 19mins
Miller —-> 10mins

This past season
Boosh -> 26mins
FItz —-> 5mins

91mins total

He played more minutes (109mins) with Power in the last 8gms of 21-22 than he did the last two season with righties.
His limited minutes on the left are the only indicator we have of what to expect from him on his offside. With the position the team is in right now, do you want to play an unknown quantity on his left and hope for the best?

Just seems to make more sense to go with what you know in someone who is proven in that role. I'm not even saying to trade joker. Long term he could be their best fit as the 3rd pairing RD given Boosh is only signed for another season. Perhaps him and Stillman provide a solid 3rd pairing longer term, or another LD in that Lyubushkin mold fits next to him.

Reactions: Fjordy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad