Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Trading a reclamation isn't done by shipping out a recent first round pick who is still on the upswing. That's for guys who have stalled in their environment and that's not Rosen. Most non-reclamation PF's of note recently are internally developed players for the teams that have them on reasonable deals or they are overpaid in payroll/trade resources. No issue with trying to shop for those types, but wildly overpaying for unproven or middling players? Nah.
Rosen is in that proposal for Helleson.

Reactions: Fjordy

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I just don't see why the Devils would want to outbid us, if it actually comes to an actual deal being made as pointed out on here and the mainboards. Vanecek, ya, didn't have a great post season, but his regular season numbers were alright with his GAA the lowest in his career. & In some of the games I watched he did look lights out. Plus Schmid is young and promising apparently.

Maybe that's just me

I just would be hesitant like many of you if Helle isn't on some mid/long term deal beforehand. I wouldn't want to risk losing promising assets for a guy who seems fed up with the way things are being ran in the Peg, and might want to test Free Agency in the future based on what he thinks is best for him/family during the rest of his career

Culture or not, it does take time to get acclimated.. but I do foam at the mouth for a guy who's basically a reliable, consistent Vezina nominee.

And, Levi should start in the A next season.

Last edited:

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I just don't see why the Devils would want to outbid us, if it actually comes to an actual deal being made as pointed out on here and the mainboards. Vanecek, ya, didn't have a great post season, but his regular season numbers were alright with his GAA the lowest in his career. & In some of the games I watched he did look lights out. Plus Schmid is young and promising apparently.

Maybe that's just me

I just would be hesitant like many of you if Helle isn't on some mid/long term deal beforehand. I wouldn't want to risk losing promising assets for a guy who seems fed up with the way things are being ran in the Peg, and might want to test Free Agency in the future based on what he thinks is best for him/family during the rest of his career

Culture or not, it does take time to get acclimated.. but I do foam at the mouth for a guy who's basically a reliable, consistent Vezina nominee.

And, Levi should start in the A next season.
I think the interesting thing with NJ is that they could offer up a package of Vanecek + [top prospect] and that might be hard for other teams to top.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
UPL+[1 non-premium piece of Winnipeg's choosing]

List of non-premium pieces:
2024 Conditional 2nd (becomes a 1st if the Sabres make the 2024 playoffs)
Prospect not named Kulich, Savoie, Ostlund, and Rosen
Olofsson
Jost
Jokiharju
Bryson
Stillman
Clague
UPL + conditional 24 1st feels like we're fleecing WPG

I'm against any trade that involves current roster pieces (Krebs, Mitts, Peterka), but that seems light.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

UPL + conditional 24 1st feels like we're fleecing WPG

I'm against any trade that involves current roster pieces (Krebs, Mitts, Peterka), but that seems light.
I would fully expect another team to outbid me for Helley.

I have no interest in giving up whatever it takes to get a one year solution in goal. And the 5+ year at $8.5M+ AAV extension makes no sense for the Sabres where they are today.

Saros having the extra year on his contract would be worth making a much more significant offer, IMO.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
From the main boards thread about a potential Philly rebuild (this is my offer):

Sabres get Konecny, Sanheim and Laughton.

Flyers get Buffalo 2023 1st (13th OA), one of Savoie or Ostlund, Buffalo 2024 2nd (becomes a 1st if the Sabres make the playoffs), Olofsson @ 50% and Bryson (latter two are for contract/roster spots). Sabres can add another lower end prospect or two if necessary.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
This post is dedicated to my 100 pound goldendoodle, who decided he wanted to lay as close to me as possible last night and kept me up half the night.

Off-season trades:

Trade 1:
Rosen, rights to Ryan Johnson, and 2023 3rd (LA) to Anaheim for RFA rights to Comtois, Helleson, and Max Jones

Trade 2:
Olofsson (50% retained), Jokiharju, and 2024 2nd to Nashville for Fabbro and Sissons.

Trade 3 (only made once the Sabres are on the clock in the draft):
13th overall pick in 2023, UPL, Rousek to Winnipeg for Hellebuyck

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - Peterka
Greenway - Krebs - Mittelstadt
Comtois - Sissons - Girgensons
x Jost, Jones

(Savoie may make the team out of camp, with the option to send Jost to Rochester)

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - Fabbro
Stillman - Lyubushkin
x Bryson

(Helleson to Rochester)

Hellebuyck, Comrie

(Levi to Rochester to start)

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
From the main boards thread about a potential Philly rebuild (this is my offer):

Flyers get Buffalo 2023 1st (13th OA), one of Savoie or Ostlund, Buffalo 2024 2nd (becomes a 1st if the Sabres make the playoffs), Olofsson @ 50% and Bryson (latter two are for contract/roster spots). Sabres can add another lower end prospect or two if necessary.
Where goalie and top 4 RD? Hart would be the target for me.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Pass.

Reactions: Club

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Sanheim can play both sides. I don’t care about handedness when a player can play on both sides.
My bad, I didn't notice Sanheim. Well, if Adams wanted to trade for Chychrun, I don't think he cares either. But I don't trade Savoie, Kulich or Levi.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I would have minimal interest in TK & Laughton.

Sanheim & Hart would be really intriguing, however.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
They showed no faith in him during his recalls and while he's been a very good player for the Amerks, the question of if he's able to provide that level of play consistently at the next level has to be there. A bunch of sub-10 minute nights is troublesome, especially when they were already playing an AHL scrub like Fitz 12-14 minutes in those same games. I could see him coming back if they give him a 1-way deal which likely scares a team off from a possible waiver claim to compete for the 8 role but he's not a top 4 NHL defenseman and the staff didn't trust him early in the season enough that he had to re-assess his game.
They love rewarding guys who put the work in. Wouldn’t be shocked in the least if they gave him the spot to start the season.

Yep, though I would think the Jets would be more interested in a direct pick addition than Olofsson. *shrug* But it would be an add.
They only move ch if they’re rebuilding. VO is more of an inconvenience to them in that scenario than asset.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They love rewarding guys who put the work in. Wouldn’t be shocked in the least if they gave him the spot to start the season.

I don't think they give a spot to anyone at this point. Maybe if Pilut keeps this up for a couple more rounds but they know that they have an option in Clague who they can give some slushy minutes to as the 8 and he has weird chemistry in that situation with Power.

They only move ch if they’re rebuilding. VO is more of an inconvenience to them in that scenario than asset.

I would think they should look at that since the core there seems as stagnant as the remains of the Rochester core when they started to turn it over in Buffalo. If they want to bridge through that, maybe an empty calorie scorer is an option but I agree that they would be more interested in just getting an extra unfettered addition than someone they have to play, who has to then succeed, and then find a trade partner. It's layers of effort that isn't as much of an add as a pick value of whatever they would think Olofsson might be worth.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I don't think they give a spot to anyone at this point. Maybe if Pilut keeps this up for a couple more rounds but they know that they have an option in Clague who they can give some slushy minutes to as the 8 and he has weird chemistry in that situation with Power.
Poor use of words on my part. I could see the Sabres bringing in 1 less defender and leaving a crack open for pilut to displace someone else. I don’t expect it, but if he made the opening night roster I’d bet lunch that coach and gm both say that there’s always a reward for a guy who puts the work in to become the player they need.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Poor use of words on my part. I could see the Sabres bringing in 1 less defender and leaving a crack open for pilut to displace someone else. I don’t expect it, but if he made the opening night roster I’d bet lunch that coach and gm both say that there’s always a reward for a guy who puts the work in to become the player they need.

Good point. I'm still of a mind that they are only going to look for 1 NHL level defenseman this summer which then leaves the possible 8 role as a fight with Clague and perhaps a 1-way deal for Pilut.

Reactions: Push Dr Tracksuit

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Realistically, as I've thought about this re: Hellebuyck

If we can get on the phone with St Louis and trade back and get 25 and 30 for 13. Or find another way to get a late 1st/early 2nd without giving up more of our draft capital.

I'm calling up Winnipeg and offering:

Late 2023 1st, Choice of Rosen/Kulich/Ostlund and a 2024 3rd that can become a 2nd if we re-sign Hellebuyck. And if they want Comrie back they can have him too. If they'd rather have UPL they'd have to adjust the pick compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad