Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Realistically, as I've thought about this re: Hellebuyck

If we can get on the phone with St Louis and trade back and get 25 and 30 for 13. Or find another way to get a late 1st/early 2nd without giving up more of our draft capital.

Just use the 2024 first rounder rather than trying to make it complicated by moving around this year.

I'm calling up Winnipeg and offering:

Late 2023 1st, Choice of Rosen/Kulich/Ostlund and a 2024 3rd that can become a 2nd if we re-sign Hellebuyck. And if they want Comrie back they can have him too. If they'd rather have UPL they'd have to adjust the pick compensation.

Those three prospects are not on the same level.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

If we can get on the phone with St Louis and trade back and get 25 and 30 for 13. Or find another way to get a late 1st/early 2nd without giving up more of our draft capital.

Late 2023 1st, Choice of Rosen/Kulich/Ostlund and a 2024 3rd that can become a 2nd if we re-sign Hellebuyck. And if they want Comrie back they can have him too. If they'd rather have UPL they'd have to adjust the pick compensation.
Teams can no longer make picks conditional on players re-signing.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

A late first and Kulich is crazy to me. The kid had one of the best AHL seasons for his age in a long time. He needs to round out his game, but you can't teach that type of goal scoring. I just can't wrap my head around throwing him in a trade offer for a goalie who will either be a one year rental, or we'll have to pay out the ass to keep. Strong pass.

I haven't watched any of the Amerks playoffs this year (SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!), but with what Ive read about Rosen, my value of him has increased. Kid is playing well in some TOUGH and, from the sounds of it, dirty games. That's impressive given his build.

I dont know enough about Ostlund to comment.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Martinez seems more in the realm of Rivet/Regehr/Gorges type instead of the Numminen/Patrick type of vet defender at this point.
I just want to find a defenseman that can do what Tallinder did for Myers his rookie year, and replicate that with Power as his partner. Numminen would've fit the bill for sure.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
We could use Martinez on the third pair with Joki or Boosh.

Samuelsson - Dahlin
Power - xxxx
Martinez - Joki/Boosh
Stillman

Reactions: thewookie1

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Let's go the other way then. Name your top price you'd pay.
For a UFA to be goalie

protected 24 1st+ secondary prospect. Or PHL 2nd and a bit better prospect.

if the deal involves sending UPL back thrn bnot including a future 1st/2nd.

he does not carry that much value. Look at Colorado trade for arizona goalie 2 summers ago.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
From the main boards thread about a potential Philly rebuild (this is my offer):

Sabres get Konecny, Sanheim and Laughton.

Flyers get Buffalo 2023 1st (13th OA), one of Savoie or Ostlund, Buffalo 2024 2nd (becomes a 1st if the Sabres make the playoffs), Olofsson @ 50% and Bryson (latter two are for contract/roster spots). Sabres can add another lower end prospect or two if necessary.
No interest in Sanheim and that cap hit.

I don’t get the fascination with konecny

laughton….just no

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
No interest in Sanheim and that cap hit.

I don’t get the fascination with konecny

laughton….just no

You’re right. There’s absolutely no need for the Sabres to want a 27 year old top 4 defenceman that can play on either side.

There’s also no need for a skillful, physical top 6 forward that’s 25.

There’s also no need for a physical, great at faceoffs, penalty killing centre that’s only 30.

We must only target players that are 22 or younger!

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I'd rather run a Still-Boosh-iharju trio on the third pairing so that they have the depth if/when someone in the top 4 goes on the shelf rather than again being forced to grind Dahlin or Power into nubs (if it isn't them) or be reduced to dark rituals if it is one of those two. Injecting someone into the depth chart above Jokiharju is a great idea.
Boosh and Jokiharju would probably do better if they were in rotation. Fresh legs helps a lot.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I mean he can physically play with those top guys…that can’t be disputed. any other definition of his ability to play there is a different thing entirely.

Kale Clague was better with Power than Joker was. And he’s not an NHL defenseman.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I mean he can physically play with those top guys…that can’t be disputed. any other definition of his ability to play there is a different thing entirely.

Kale Clague was better with Power than Joker was. And he’s not an NHL defenseman.

Clague was also given almost 60% offensive zone starts with no time on the PK.

Reactions: Jacob582

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
You’re right. There’s absolutely no need for the Sabres to want a 27 year old top 4 defenceman that can play on either side.

There’s also no need for a skillful, physical top 6 forward that’s 25.

There’s also no need for a physical, great at faceoffs, penalty killing centre that’s only 30.

We must only target players that are 22 or younger!

Sanheim I’d be interested in but I doubt they are interested in trading him.

Konecny I’m not interested in due to his size. He’s another tough Smurf who has massive consistency issues

You can sign Laughtons every year if you want. His value is more of a deadline guy for a team needing 1 piece for depth.

I honestly doubt Helle would be traded here since WPG will likely ask for far more than he’s actually worth. I’m completely disinclined to trade our 1st or a top end prospect for a rental goalie or more for the honor of overpaying him.

Reactions: Irie

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Because he's not an NHL defenseman

And he got slanted distribution of starts as illustrates that. Comparing Clague and Jokiharju with an attempt to justify that Clague is better than Jokiharju misses a massive amount of context.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
And he got slanted distribution of starts as illustrates that. Comparing Clague and Jokiharju with an attempt to justify that Clague is better than Jokiharju misses a massive amount of context.
Well, specifically with Power, Clague might be better than Jokiharju, but that doesn't mean he's a better player. Although I'm not thrilled with Joki, he just needs his Scandella in the third pair.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Well, specifically with Power, Clague might be better than Jokiharju, but that doesn't mean he's a better player. Although I'm not thrilled with Joki, he just needs his Scandella in the third pair.

Clague got caved in the longer he spent higher up in the lineup. He’s not good. I’d rather the team iced the current version of Doug Bodger than him.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Clague got caved in the longer he spent higher up in the lineup. He’s not good. I’d rather the team iced the current version of Doug Bodger than him.

The problem is that the team needs depth that is either waiver exempt or that can pass through waivers.

Having 8 or 9 guys that are top six caliber would be awesome, but probably not realistic because you will lose a couple coming out of camp. (assuming there aren't a lot of NHL ready, waiver exempt D prospects on the farm).

Expectations are important with defensive depth. I think Clague is serviceable as an emergency 6th D during the regular season if he is playing a 3rd pairing role with a legitimate NHL defender as a partner.

When the team has 4 or 5 of their top six out, and Clague is playing 20 minutes paired with another AHL quality defenseman, shit's gonna go south :laugh:

If we look at him for what he is, an AHL defenseman that can play in emergency pinches here and there, he's a useful asset. But if the coaching staff is pairing him with Casey Fitzgerald or playing him in a top 4 role, there is a problem, and I think faulting Clague as a player for the team deploying him in an obviously poor way should be more on the coaching and front office than on Clague as a player.

I don't think i'd have a problem with bringing him back in a depth role as long as the team insulates him with another legitimate NHL defender above him on the depth chart.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
To anyone still attempting to include Rosen as a throw in for a trade

IMG_0344.gif

Keep my beautiful boy‘s name out your trade proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad