Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Spooner recalled 3/18/13

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I'm with you on that one, Joe. I think you and I were among the very few that wanted to see him get his chance. Kind of funny because I don't think I've agreed with anything you said before or since...:naughty:

Soderberg tearing up the SEL....just sayin'.

:laugh:

I had the advantage of seeing Marchand play a great deal in PRO that year. Poor start with the B's or not, it was pretty obvious that he was a notch above and would eventually be decent in Boston.

I felt the same way about Sobotka, too bad he got traded because he has proven to be a pretty good NHLer, and would look good on 3rd line LW right about now :D

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.

I had the advantage of seeing Marchand play a great deal in PRO that year. Poor start with the B's or not, it was pretty obvious that he was a notch above and would eventually be decent in Boston.

I felt the same way about Sobotka, too bad he got traded because he has proven to be a pretty good NHLer, and would look good on 3rd line LW right about now :D

Sobotka would look great, I liked the little warrior that is inside him, but it all depends on how Warsofsky turns out. Hopefully he can be a decent dman here in the future one day, but right now with the nagging injuries you are right, Sobotka would look great with Kelly/Peverley.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Boo...

Do not agree with Julien's lines. But he's a much smarter hockey mind than I am. I'm sure there will be some flip-flopping and Spooner will get a chance with better offensive NHL players if he shows he's responsible enough.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

And next year after he signs a fat UFA contract with Detroit, he'll be tearing up your heart...:laugh:

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Sobotka would look great, I liked the little warrior that is inside him, but it all depends on how Warsofsky turns out. Hopefully he can be a decent dman here in the future one day, but right now with the nagging injuries you are right, Sobotka would look great with Kelly/Peverley.

If I could have one trade takeback... well, there'd be a few, but Sobotka for Warsofsky would be in the list. Jury is still out on Warsofsky, but Sobotka could easily be that 3rd line left-winger the Bruins have been sorely lacking. Fiesty, determined, responsible, and a touch of offensive flair.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Well I wasn't posting here until after the cup run, so not part of any discussions on who should be called up after losing Krejci.

My "hindsight is 20/20" opinion is imply that Marchand would have been better.

Bruins were rather decimated after Krejci went down anyway.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
If I could have one trade takeback... well, there'd be a few, but Sobotka for Warsofsky would be in the list. Jury is still out on Warsofsky, but Sobotka could easily be that 3rd line left-winger the Bruins have been sorely lacking. Fiesty, determined, responsible, and a touch of offensive flair.

You never know, Spooner/Bourque/Knight/Koko could become that guy, Bourque got the monkey off his back last game, and hopefully he can be 1/10 of the player that his father was.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Well I wasn't posting here until after the cup run, so not part of any discussions on who should be called up after losing Krejci.

My "hindsight is 20/20" opinion is imply that Marchand would have been better.

Bruins were rather decimated after Krejci went down anyway.

Marchand played wing in PRO and the NHL almost exclusively, so he would not have been the likely call up for DK anyway.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
You never know, Spooner/Bourque/Knight/Koko could become that guy, Bourque got the monkey off his back last game, and hopefully he can be 1/10 of the player that his father was.

For sure... But some players just become favorites and then are hard to let go. Sobotka is one of those to me. Always liked (still do) the way he plays the game.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

don't get me going on 'Saint' Sobotka- I been keeping tabs on his play with the Blues folks and he's been very valuable. They love him over there. He'd look great on this team right now- like tonight

My only complaint with Sobotka was slamming Shawn and Joe Thornton in pretty chippy out-of-the-way unnecessary hits. I like the Thornton's and this sort of bothered me that Sobotka would go flatten Shawn who he sat with every day and did a lot for him. I know its hockey but Sob went out of his way to blast Shawn and to this day I have never seen him that mad. Long live Sobotka

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
For sure... But some players just become favorites and then are hard to let go. Sobotka is one of those to me. Always liked (still do) the way he plays the game.

I hear you, I even wish Ryder or dare I say it, Pouliot was still here:laugh:

But as the only glaring weekness being a 3rd line winger, I will take that, because things could be worse, we could be Leafs fans.:laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
don't get me going on 'Saint' Sobotka- I been keeping tabs on his play with the Blues folks and he's been very valuable. They love him over there. He'd look great on this team right now- like tonight

My only complaint with Sobotka was slamming Shawn and Joe Thornton in pretty chippy out-of-the-way unnecessary hits. I like the Thornton's and this sort of bothered me that Sobotka would go flatten Shawn who he sat with every day and did a lot for him. I know its hockey but Sob went out of his way to blast Shawn and to this day I have never seen him that mad. Long live Sobotka

I'm guessing he was pretty amped up for that game? From what I understood, he liked playing here and the B's basically told him he wasn't good enough to play for them when they dealt him for a college kid (Warsofsky).

I hope Warsofsky does well, but I have no idea what the B's coaches were looking at when they watched SOB play, because they played a bunch of guys in front of him that I thought were worse players? I know the staff typically knows way more than we do, but I think they missed the boat on Sobotka.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

Loved little SOB. Great bottom 6er. Kobasew is another guy I'd welcome back with open arms in the bottom half of the lineup. Just good solid, feisty, north/south players.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Spooner will center the fourth line between MacDermid and Tardif. I'm very interested to see how Spooner looks, even with limited minutes. No doubt Coach Julien wants to ease him into the game.

Spooner said he isn't comfortable on the wing, so 4th line center is logical behind Krejci, Bergeron and Kelly.

The 21-year-old center will center a fourth line with 28-year-old rookie Jamie Tardif and 23-year-old enforcer Lane MacDermid as his two wings. Gregory Campbell, the normal fourth-line center, will slide into a left-wing position alongside Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin.

Spooner said he doesn’t feel very comfortable playing wing, and that might have factored into the final decision-making for position and line combinations. But more likely, coach Claude Julien values the Bergeron line as much for their defensive contributions as he does for their offense, and Campbell is a better fit to play bigger minutes in an expanded role.

http://www.csnne.com/hockey-boston-...into-first-night-f?blockID=829425&feedID=5364

sjaustin77

Oct 28, 2007
I'm guessing he was pretty amped up for that game? From what I understood, he liked playing here and the B's basically told him he wasn't good enough to play for them when they dealt him for a college kid (Warsofsky).

I hope Warsofsky does well, but I have no idea what the B's coaches were looking at when they watched SOB play, because they played a bunch of guys in front of him that I thought were worse players? I know the staff typically knows way more than we do, but I think they missed the boat on Sobotka.

Loved Sobotka's game - a little wrecking ball for his size, but I'm curious who the bunch of players are that were worse players. Reich is the only clear one for me at any point in Sobotka's career here and they played different roles. Sobotka got 48 games that year, then 25 and 61. He had 6 goals and was -16 in 134 games here. He has turned out OK since - a great 4th liner, solid 3rd liner and I think the Bruins thought he would.

They had no room for him, won the cup with the players that would have played over him anyway, and did him a favor trading him someplace he could play. I don't think it had to do with talent evaluation at all. They got an asset back for someone who wasn't going to play. I think it was a smart move that helps the view of Boston's management among players, even if Warsofsky "busts", which a 4th round pick can't really do. You have less than a 20% chance of getting a player that plays over 100 NHL games and under 10% they do anything significant.

He would look pretty nice on 3rd line LW right now though.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Spooner on the wing considering he has rarely played it accept PP half wall is not something I expected; should be interesting to see if they put all these kids out there at the same time- that is very risky.

I still like the 3 lines and then 3 guys who bring something strong trait that can be moved around here and there enough to get 6-15 minutes and add to PK or PP

I'd feel more comfortable with Campbell dropping down to the wing but hey, it will play out

his parents must be both filled with nerves and happiness- first game and its the Montreal Canadiens in Montreal with both teams pretty good

he's going to be a very good one like to see him start in 15 minutes on that

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Loved Sobotka's game - a little wrecking ball for his size, but I'm curious who the bunch of players are that were worse players. Reich is the only clear one for me at any point in Sobotka's career here and they played different roles. Sobotka got 48 games that year, then 25 and 61. He had 6 goals and was -16 in 134 games here. He has turned out OK since - a great 4th liner, solid 3rd liner and I think the Bruins thought he would.

They had no room for him, won the cup with the players that would have played over him anyway, and did him a favor trading him someplace he could play. I don't think it had to do with talent evaluation at all. They got an asset back for someone who wasn't going to play. I think it was a smart move that helps the view of Boston's management among players, even if Warsofsky "busts", which a 4th round pick can't really do. You have less than a 20% chance of getting a player that plays over 100 NHL games and under 10% they do anything significant.

He would look pretty nice on 3rd line LW right now though.

I love Sobotka with the blazing heat of a thousand suns (my twitter handle is a tribute to him) and I always will, but it was better for him, if not the Bruins, to go to St. Louis. Campbell was a huge asset in the Cup run. And Sobotka was never comfortable on the wing, unfortunately.

In my perfect world he'd be a Bruin forever but it didn't work out, and I still root for him.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Glad to see him on the powerplay, but he needs to be placed with Bergy on the second line.
Campbell back on fourth

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Glad to see him on the powerplay, but he needs to be placed with Bergy on the second line.
Campbell back on fourth

Pretty sure he's going to be on his way back to the AHL soon unless Marchand has a set back.

With that said, Spooner looked pretty damn good in the limited amount of time we saw of him. He was physical and making smart plays. Pretty much all you can ask playing limited minutes especially against the Canadiens in the Bell Centre. Nice job Spoons!

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
I would LOVE to see him next to Bergy and Horton.
But I'm afraid it's not gonna happen though.

TD74

Apr 12, 2011
Laval, Canada
Talk about a baptism by fire!! Good on Spoons on the limited time he got.....surrond this kid with the characters in our dressing room.....and he will be a regular pretty soon..

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Pretty sure he's going to be on his way back to the AHL soon unless Marchand has a set back.

With that said, Spooner looked pretty damn good in the limited amount of time we saw of him. He was physical and making smart plays. Pretty much all you can ask playing limited minutes especially against the Canadiens in the Bell Centre. Nice job Spoons!

Got his feet wet and did a solid job. Were his parents there? (I was watching at work.) A little reward for his hard work and a nice shot of confidence. :handclap:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

He did look good ... that whole line had good energy ... drew a penalty ... was good on the forecheck.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

Him and Tardiff both looked good. Good hustle by both in their limited minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad