Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Spooner recalled 3/18/13

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I still think it doubtful that any of the Providence players is on Bergeron's line. Kelly or Peverly will play there (I see Julien trying to have two complete lines of experienced NHL players) and the Providence players being sprinkled in the other two lines (Mac will be on the 4th line).

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hope he got called up to play w/Bergeron. Would be exciting. Its OK to be cautious with Marchand.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
think they will assign Macdermid back to Prov and give spooner a shot?

Mac is the resident tough guy with Thorts out so I think that's doubtful. If anyone goes down it's probably Tardiff. He got his shot, played well, but he's obviously not NHL material.

I like the idea of Spooner-Bergeron-Seguin. Julien would probably throw Paille on that line occasionally for spot duty as well..

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
If he ends up playing I don't think Julien sticks him on Bergeron's line that quickly. If Marchand is out, I expect Paille to play with Bergeron and Seguin. Bourque to play with Kelly and Peverley, and the newbies to play with Campbell. God bless Mr Campbell on Wednesday night.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If he ends up playing I don't think Julien sticks him on Bergeron's line that quickly. If Marchand is out, I expect Paille to play with Bergeron and Seguin. Bourque to play with Kelly and Peverley, and the newbies to play with Campbell. God bless Mr Campbell on Wednesday night.

I really can`t see Julien putting Spooner on a 4th line Chuck, you make a Whitfield-like callup for that, can`t see this organization taking a smallish player and thrusting him into a 4th line role but.....I could be way off there.

I think the most "natural" fit if you will would be with skilled players, and NOT in a checking role, I`m not usually one for "giving" a guy a spot but I`d wager he`d be perfectly fine with Bergy and Segs but he could have some prior familiarity with Bourque?

Haven`t watched one minute of Spooner`s Pro career so the above is based solely on information I have read from those here who have watched him this season so please take my opinions accordingly, not first hand knowledge of the game he brings from me.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I doubt he plays. I'll worry when they declare Marchand out for tomorrow.

All of us would rather have Marchand play I think but if it`s in his/teams best interest to sit til Saturday, I wouldn`t consider it as anything too worrysome.

For strictly selfish reasons, love to see how Spooner compares at this level at this stage of his development and what better place than the Bell Center to give er;)

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
All of us would rather have Marchand play I think but if it`s in his/teams best interest to sit til Saturday, I wouldn`t consider it as anything too worrysome.

For strictly selfish reasons, love to see how Spooner compares at this level at this stage of his development and what better place than the Bell Center to give er;)

funny paradox about the shortened season is that even though it's a sprint to the finish line instead of a marathon, attrition may play a bigger role than usual. If sitting a guy a couple of games will most likely get him back to 100% then i think you do that every time instead of rushing him back a game early and risk hearing the one of the worst phrases in sports "out 4-6 weeks". 4-6 weeks this season is a absolute killer. The fact that we are racking up points early means you can spot rest guys like this with not too much downside. Don't panic until it's actually panic time. HUH? did i just write that? :shakehead

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'd actually give Bourque a shot with Seguin and Bergeron, see if he can run with it

He might get that shot, but since that line is just starting to click after struggling, I think Julien might be more inclined to leave that one intact. That way, there's 2 lines he can rely on that have been there from the start.

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
Bourque-Kelly-Peverley
Spooner-Bergeron-Seguin
Paille-Campbell-MacDermid

Swap Spooner and Paille for some important shifts, defensive zone faceoffs, and such...

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
assuming Marchand cant play

LKH

Bourque-Bergy-Seguin

Paille-Kelly-Peverley

use 4th line sporadically with Campbell gettig plenty of ice time be it PK or end of period shifts; whoever else plays pick and choose be it McDermid, Tardiff, or Spooner

Spooner would get second PP

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I really can`t see Julien putting Spooner on a 4th line Chuck, you make a Whitfield-like callup for that, can`t see this organization taking a smallish player and thrusting him into a 4th line role but.....I could be way off there.

I think the most "natural" fit if you will would be with skilled players, and NOT in a checking role, I`m not usually one for "giving" a guy a spot but I`d wager he`d be perfectly fine with Bergy and Segs but he could have some prior familiarity with Bourque?

Haven`t watched one minute of Spooner`s Pro career so the above is based solely on information I have read from those here who have watched him this season so please take my opinions accordingly, not first hand knowledge of the game he brings from me.

All of that makes perfect sense as well. I just don't think Julien would toss a rookie to the wolves like that by putting him in a top 6 role. Even playing on the 4th line I doubt he gets more than 5 minutes, so if he doesn't fit it doesn't hurt you all that much.

Then again, none of this really matters if he doesn't play :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
assuming Marchand cant play

LKH

Bourque-Bergy-Seguin

Paille-Kelly-Peverley

use 4th line sporadically with Campbell gettig plenty of ice time be it PK or end of period shifts; whoever else plays pick and choose be it McDermid, Tardiff, or Spooner

Spooner would get second PP

What?????? You can't have a 3rd or 4th liner on the PP. That's just crazy talk...:sarcasm:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Read somewhere that Campbell may be playing LW in Marchands spot. Would this mean Spooner will center 4th line?

Lucic Krejci Horton
Campbell Bergy Seguin
Paille Kelly Peverly
Bourque Spooner MacDermid

That 4th line will see very limited action.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
He might get that shot, but since that line is just starting to click after struggling, I think Julien might be more inclined to leave that one intact. That way, there's 2 lines he can rely on that have been there from the start.

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
Bourque-Kelly-Peverley
Spooner-Bergeron-Seguin
Paille-Campbell-MacDermid

Swap Spooner and Paille for some important shifts, defensive zone faceoffs, and such...

It's only assuming Marchand isn't playing, I'd actually rather see Spooner get a shot there but that is not going to happen so I think with bourque's style of play and his recent goal, it makes sense to give him a shot with Bergeron and Seguin

I also do not like the idea of spooner centering a fourth line of tardif and macdermid, makes no sense

Stick him with Pevs and Kelly and if you're worried about his play, swap out he and Paille/Campbell so he is only seeing offensive zone time

Although I'd like to point out that spooner has been continuously working on his offensive game and he does lead the p-bruins (a team with eh defense) in plus minus with +12. I'm honestly not worried about his ability to make the smart play

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Read somewhere that Campbell may be playing LW in Marchands spot. Would this mean Spooner will center 4th line?

Lucic Krejci Horton
Campbell Bergy Seguin
Paille Kelly Peverly
Bourque Spooner MacDermid

That 4th line will see very limited action.

Spooner definately needs to be at center not wing in any case? I don't know how much wing he's played but he's a natural center. Plus he'll get killed on the boards as a wing in the NHL :shakehead

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
LKH
Spooner-Bergy-Segs
Campbell-Kelly-Pevs
Bourque-Tardiff-Macdermid

That's what I want to see if Marchand doesn't play

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Paille, Thornton won't travel
Claude Julien joked that he was already on his afternoon coffee by the time the Bruins had an early morning availability at the TD Garden. But the more important news was that neither Daniel Paille nor Shawn Thornton (concussion) would make the trip to Montreal today.

The Bruins changed their schedule and instead of skating at Ristuccia Arena before leaving for Montreal will now skate at the Bell Centre this afternoon.

No decision has been made on Brad Marchand yet. Marchand is expected to practice with the team today, with the decision being made before Wednesday night's game against the Canadiens.

Ryan Spooner was called up from Providence on Monday on an emergency basis and could be used if needed in Montreal.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2013/02/paille_thornton.html

Ace0813

Bleed Black & Gold
Aug 28, 2008
New Hampshire
Spooner definately needs to be at center not wing in any case? I don't know how much wing he's played but he's a natural center. Plus he'll get killed on the boards as a wing in the NHL :shakehead

"Julien compared Spooner to Tyler Seguin and former Bruin Phil Kessel because of his ability to play both wing and center. If he plays against Montreal, Spooner could be at either position."

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins
B's filtering out for practice... Bourque out first, followed by Tardif & MacDermid in merlot. Spooner also in merlot^CS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad