Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Spooner recalled 3/18/13

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Limited TOI, snagged a bit of PP time, drew a penalty, not much more you can ask/expect from the kid in game 1 of his NHL career, nice start, liked Tardiff`s willingness to play physical when the opportunity was there too

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Loved Sobotka's game - a little wrecking ball for his size, but I'm curious who the bunch of players are that were worse players. Reich is the only clear one for me at any point in Sobotka's career here and they played different roles. Sobotka got 48 games that year, then 25 and 61. He had 6 goals and was -16 in 134 games here. He has turned out OK since - a great 4th liner, solid 3rd liner and I think the Bruins thought he would.

They had no room for him, won the cup with the players that would have played over him anyway, and did him a favor trading him someplace he could play. I don't think it had to do with talent evaluation at all. They got an asset back for someone who wasn't going to play. I think it was a smart move that helps the view of Boston's management among players, even if Warsofsky "busts", which a 4th round pick can't really do. You have less than a 20% chance of getting a player that plays over 100 NHL games and under 10% they do anything significant.

He would look pretty nice on 3rd line LW right now though.

Yelle, Begin, Bitz were the guys I was referring to, not Reich.

In 07-08, Sobotka was a late season injury call-up when the B's were decimated and he played surprisingly well down the stretch and in the playoffs vs MTL, particularly for a rookie.

In the Camp of 08-09, he and Blake Wheeler were hands down the best players in the preseason, Wheeler stayed up and instead of SOB, the B's went with Yelle, who was gawd-awful for the better part of the season. Sobotka was a point per game guy in the AHL, and if you saw him play, it was clear that both he and Marchand were not AHL players (and were both much, much better than Hamill btw).

The following season, the B's brought in Steve Begin (don't get me started) to play a role that Sobotka would have been perfect for, as he was clearly more comfortable at C in the B's system. It can never be proven, but I think the in and out of the lineup role that Julien had Sobotka playing was not good for his development and that the constant threat of being sent down to PRO (while it may work for some) was a detriment to his play.

That offseason he was traded to STL. Part of this was supposedly due to an altercation between Savard and Sobotka after Game 7 vs PHI where they had to be physically restrained from going after one another. This happened after a bad Savard line change led to the too many men penalty (and PHI GWG) and he threw Sobotka under the bus, instead of manning up and taking the blame (in hindsight, maybe they traded the wrong guy?). The other part was that days before, the B's acquired Campbell, and Sobotka became even more of a depth player than he already was.

Ultimately, the deal was probably the best thing for Sobotka, who earned a full-time spot that fall with STL. That may speak to management considering the player's best interest, which is a good reputation to have. However, I think the B's management screwed up in a couple of ways:

1) I am pulling for Warsofsky, but the B's gave up a guy who had over 100 games NHL experience (at age 23) for an undersized NCAA puck-mover. Bad return IMO, and the fact that Sobotka has become an NHL regular, while the B's acquired another undersized NCAA puck-mover in Krug, seems to bear this out.

2) My bigger issue is with the way the B's handled not only his development, but with the way they develop 3rd-4th line depth players in general. IMO, if they had given Sobotka the spot on the 4th line he had earned when they should have, the B's would have gotten the player STL has now. My feeling is that the B's should (whenever possible) give opportunities to younger players on the 4th line, rather than go for 30-35 yr old vets. That way, by the end of the season, you have a young reliable player that can step up to the 3rd line, and not have to acquire someone.

This is all spilled milk.

It's hard to argue with the results the B's got, given that they won a Cup :laugh: I also realize that if Sobotka had still been on the team, maybe Marchand doesn't develop the way he did, maybe the B's don't get Kelly or Pevs blah, blah, blah, Butterfly Effect :D

It just pisses me off that the B's gave away an asset that they could really use now, and I'm not sure they would have had to, if they handled the situation a little differently.

BTW, here is a recent article about what Ken Hitchcock thinks of Sobotka:

http://www.kmov.com/sports/Sobotka-gets-promotion-praise-from-Hitchcock-189186391.html

You think he's happy STL made the deal?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He'll be on the team full-time next year.

His play yesterday made me sure of that. He was good on the forecheck and had some very noticeable board play, and he had very limited minutes. He'll score, too. It's better if he gets lots of ice time and PP time in Providence, he wouldn't get much ice time here anyway or he'd be sitting in the press box.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Him and Tardiff both looked good. Good hustle by both in their limited minutes.

I agree.

I am glad the better Providence players have already been rewarded with NHL game time. Lets them know they are close. Both should be black aces.

Spooner will get there, he needs 100 more AHL games and the Marchand treatment though.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
well atleast he's going back to his place knowing his two roommates have already loaded up on milk, bread, and who knows what else (going with ice cream) they got

he had a great experience and history and the Hockey Encyclopedia will always show played in the NHL for the Boston Bruins- they can not take that away

I'm sure he knows he can play, he got a chance to see as much speed (in that first), wild crowd, and how to stay calm, weather the storm and win a game in Montreal

talk about the ultimate reality hockey show and getting to play:laugh:

I think by the time the Red Sox are playing games at Fenway in the Spring Ryan Spooner will be doing the same a few miles away

sjaustin77

Oct 28, 2007
Yelle, Begin, Bitz were the guys I was referring to, not Reich.

In 07-08, Sobotka was a late season injury call-up when the B's were decimated and he played surprisingly well down the stretch and in the playoffs vs MTL, particularly for a rookie.

In the Camp of 08-09, he and Blake Wheeler were hands down the best players in the preseason, Wheeler stayed up and instead of SOB, the B's went with Yelle, who was gawd-awful for the better part of the season. Sobotka was a point per game guy in the AHL, and if you saw him play, it was clear that both he and Marchand were not AHL players (and were both much, much better than Hamill btw).

The following season, the B's brought in Steve Begin (don't get me started) to play a role that Sobotka would have been perfect for, as he was clearly more comfortable at C in the B's system. It can never be proven, but I think the in and out of the lineup role that Julien had Sobotka playing was not good for his development and that the constant threat of being sent down to PRO (while it may work for some) was a detriment to his play.

That offseason he was traded to STL. Part of this was supposedly due to an altercation between Savard and Sobotka after Game 7 vs PHI where they had to be physically restrained from going after one another. This happened after a bad Savard line change led to the too many men penalty (and PHI GWG) and he threw Sobotka under the bus, instead of manning up and taking the blame (in hindsight, maybe they traded the wrong guy?). The other part was that days before, the B's acquired Campbell, and Sobotka became even more of a depth player than he already was.

Ultimately, the deal was probably the best thing for Sobotka, who earned a full-time spot that fall with STL. That may speak to management considering the player's best interest, which is a good reputation to have. However, I think the B's management screwed up in a couple of ways:

1) I am pulling for Warsofsky, but the B's gave up a guy who had over 100 games NHL experience (at age 23) for an undersized NCAA puck-mover. Bad return IMO, and the fact that Sobotka has become an NHL regular, while the B's acquired another undersized NCAA puck-mover in Krug, seems to bear this out.

2) My bigger issue is with the way the B's handled not only his development, but with the way they develop 3rd-4th line depth players in general. IMO, if they had given Sobotka the spot on the 4th line he had earned when they should have, the B's would have gotten the player STL has now. My feeling is that the B's should (whenever possible) give opportunities to younger players on the 4th line, rather than go for 30-35 yr old vets. That way, by the end of the season, you have a young reliable player that can step up to the 3rd line, and not have to acquire someone.

This is all spilled milk.

It's hard to argue with the results the B's got, given that they won a Cup :laugh: I also realize that if Sobotka had still been on the team, maybe Marchand doesn't develop the way he did, maybe the B's don't get Kelly or Pevs blah, blah, blah, Butterfly Effect :D

It just pisses me off that the B's gave away an asset that they could really use now, and I'm not sure they would have had to, if they handled the situation a little differently.

BTW, here is a recent article about what Ken Hitchcock thinks of Sobotka:

http://www.kmov.com/sports/Sobotka-gets-promotion-praise-from-Hitchcock-189186391.html

You think he's happy STL made the deal?

I don't know how late his call up was - he played 48 games. Reich was the only questionable one that year. The next year was Wheeler, Yelle and Bitz. Wheeler probably proved he was the right choice. It wasn't clear to me then or looking back that Sobotka was better than the others. They all scored at approximately the same rate. Yelle was better defensively and Bitz had size. Sobotka had 1 goal and was -10 in 25 games that year. Bitz only played 10 more games anyway with similar ice time.

The next year was Begin. They scored at the same rate and Begin was the proven NHL player. Sobotka played 61 games anyway and only about 1:30 less TOI per game than Begin. Marchand got 20 games with 1 point and Hamill got 1 game.

You have a small argument for 1 guy per year that he could have played a few more games or more minutes. Sobotka wasn't good with the Bruins. AHL yes, NHL no. Maybe he was handled wrong, maybe they could have received a better return. I don't think it was because of their evaluation of Sobotka but maybe they overrated Warsofsky. He is only 22 and D take longer. Maybe he has a career, maybe not. Maybe he will be traded for an asset that becomes better than Sobotka, or as part of a deal for the final piece to this year's cup run.

I'm sure Hitchcock is happy now. That is a win for St Louis. Is Sobotka a decent player now? Yes, but I think he was overrated here because of his physical play for a little guy.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
well atleast he's going back to his place knowing his two roommates have already loaded up on milk, bread, and who knows what else (going with ice cream) they got

he had a great experience and history and the Hockey Encyclopedia will always show played in the NHL for the Boston Bruins- they can not take that away

I'm sure he knows he can play, he got a chance to see as much speed (in that first), wild crowd, and how to stay calm, weather the storm and win a game in Montreal

I think by the time the Red Sox are playing games at Fenway in the Spring Ryan Spooner will be doing the same a few miles away

He can splurge a little with that one game pro check that is forthcoming. :)

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
If they aren't ready to give Spooner a regular spot with decent minutes, he is better served playing lots of minutes in Providence at the moment.

I do think he looked pretty decent (I actually think the all AHL line did better than I expected and did a pretty good job forechecking and sustaining some pressure).

Spooner will earn a full time nhl spot sooner than later I think.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

good post,,

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I don't know how late his call up was - he played 48 games. Reich was the only questionable one that year. The next year was Wheeler, Yelle and Bitz. Wheeler probably proved he was the right choice. It wasn't clear to me then or looking back that Sobotka was better than the others. They all scored at approximately the same rate. Yelle was better defensively and Bitz had size. Sobotka had 1 goal and was -10 in 25 games that year. Bitz only played 10 more games anyway with similar ice time.

The next year was Begin. They scored at the same rate and Begin was the proven NHL player. Sobotka played 61 games anyway and only about 1:30 less TOI per game than Begin. Marchand got 20 games with 1 point and Hamill got 1 game.

You have a small argument for 1 guy per year that he could have played a few more games or more minutes. Sobotka wasn't good with the Bruins. AHL yes, NHL no. Maybe he was handled wrong, maybe they could have received a better return. I don't think it was because of their evaluation of Sobotka but maybe they overrated Warsofsky. He is only 22 and D take longer. Maybe he has a career, maybe not. Maybe he will be traded for an asset that becomes better than Sobotka, or as part of a deal for the final piece to this year's cup run.

I'm sure Hitchcock is happy now. That is a win for St Louis. Is Sobotka a decent player now? Yes, but I think he was overrated here because of his physical play for a little guy.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I valued him more for the skillset I saw in PRO than for his physical play. If anything, I thought his physical play was a detriment at times because I felt he was bound to injure himself without a large frame. I think the situation he was in (always in danger of being sent down) made him press, and negatively affected his play, and the B's let a decent player get away for almost nothing.

Just my 2 cents.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I liked Spooner too, wasnt quite the agile, water bug, style player I expected, but he showed good hands, worked hard and got a shot or two on goal.

I think this kind of stuff (bolded) will show with more experience.

People always say they are concerned with his size, but I thought he looked bigger than when I last saw him and has adequate NHL size. While I think he will do better in a Top 6, skill role, he did not look out of place in his 4th line cameo.

Hopefully, the taste of the bigs makes him hungrier.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
I've seen Spooner play half-dozen AHL games this season including one on the road. He started a little slowly, but of late has been a rocket out there. The org obviously likes the way this kid is pushing the pace in the minors, very explosive for a center. Finishing skills still raw, but a scoring-chance machine with his speed, vision and puck-moving skills. Funny personality as well for those who follow him on Tw. A handful of shifts in a big game in MTL, I was impressed in just the obvious fact that he tried to make sure he didn't get scored on. I didn't take it the same way as I did when Antti Laaksonen did that every night and admitted it was his mentality, that turned out to be a waste of natural speed on the wing. But this kid is the real deal.

As for Sobotka, I really enjoyed watching him accelerate with that Kessel-like easy speed ... Hunwick, Bates, certain guys are just hydraulic with their stride. So I was disappointed when Sobotka A: struggled to find any rhythm playing for the Bruins; and B: whined his way out of town because he didn't want to be a fourth-liner. So the Bruins accomodated him and made a move. IMO Warsofsky is a long shot, even in this current state of good health and speed I didn't see when he joined the team last year. So small. Krug's got a better chance, and push is soon coming to shove with Bartkowski, who is less gifted offensively but decent physically and blazing fast. Bart has a chance to be like a poor man's Glen Wesley in the NHL if he can earn a spot and find a comfort zone. It seems like there's a better chance of it happening next year but in his native Pittsburgh, not here.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Kirk Luedeke ‏@kluedeke29
Hearing that Ryan Spooner is Boston-bound #recall

he's back. bad news for kelly though

boss3252

Oct 14, 2007
Spooner time in boston. Gets his wish to play center to. This will add some energy in the lineup. Feel bad for kelly but i feel Spooner will add a new dimension to this team. Now I hope Horton and lucic wake up to

BruinsCupNow

Mar 9, 2002
Toronto.
Visit site
If this is true, I know the obvious thing is to put spooner on L3 with peverley and caron.

I hope they consider another option: putting peverley with caron and horton, and toss spooner onto a line with krejci and lucic. Would be a different look for both lines - some extra speed on krejci's line, and someone to buy pevs some extra space on the 3rd line. Plus it'd be a kick in the behind to Horton.

-- BCN

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
is it too soon for me to get excited about a potential PP of

Seguin - Spooner - Lucic
Krejci - Hamilton

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Paille-Spooner-Peverley MUST BE THE 3RD LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too much pressure to put on Caron and Spooner playing them together. If THornton and Campbell can't survive without Paille they belong in the AHL.

Bourque should maybe be recalled for Pandolfo/McDermid. Kelly is a good player but he's been playing ****** its a good time to give Spooner a quick glimpse, especially because Soderberg is coming and will likely be another forward ahead of Ryan on the organizations depth chart.

After last nights meltdown nothing should be sacred. None of our players deserve a thing at this point for winning a cup 2 years ago and Julien and PC can't be massaging anyones nuts. So something like Caron to the first line and Horton to the 4th to send a message is 100% OK with me. (Lucic-Krejci-Caron might be a good line too.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad