Recalled/Assigned: Ryan Spooner recalled 3/18/13

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
They've been looking at Caron for years.

IMO he didn't earn his way onto the active roster this year.

He was injured when the season started, so he couldn't even compete for a spot.

I think he earned a look when Bourque couldn't cement the spot and so far he hasn't done anything that makes me think he should lose his spot.

That said, I don't particularly think Caron is the long term answer at the moment-and really hope Chia pulls the trigger to upgrade the 3rd line.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
i like the fact that Spooner, a kid who work hard in Pro, have his chance. I prefer to see him then cross-check Soderberg. I'm probably too old school but that's the way i feel...

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
i like the fact that Spooner, a kid who work hard in Pro, have his chance. I prefer to see him then cross-check Soderberg. I'm probably too old school but that's the way i feel...

Yes, because I'm sure Soderberg has not "worked hard" for the last 5-6 years, or this year when he led the SEL in scoring...he just went around cross-checking people all year long :laugh:

That statement doesn't make you sound old school, just like you didn't finish school.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I do hope they give Spooner legit minutes while he's here. I don't want him buried on the 4th line or being our 13th forward.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Spoons gives them a creative skillsy 3rd C so it will be interesting to see what he can do with 12 mins a night and guys that have speed and skill short term. Could change the complexion of the offense and let Julien roll 3 offensive lines which has been an issue most of the year so far.

Adding Sodapop to the equation is just a bonus as he can spot start the bottom 3 lines as the guys wear down and if he outplays someone he get's the ice.

No downside at all on the options and if they need to make a deal they can.

The only issue I see is that Campbell isn't a good faceoff guy and unless Sodapop / Spooner are decent that puts a lot more pressure of Bergeron and Krejci to take the defensive zone FO's late in the game and you end up juggling more than you want. Pevs is decent so maybe that's a solution short term.

Gotta like the options on the depth for the bottom 6...

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Would like to see

Lucic Krejci Seguin
Marchand Bergeron Caron
Spooner Peverley Horton
Merlot

Horton and Lucic need to be split up and Horton doesnt deserve to be on he Bergeron line. Caron hasnt earned that spot either but hes played with Bergeron before and this way we have 3 scoring lines.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I do hope they give Spooner legit minutes while he's here. I don't want him buried on the 4th line or being our 13th forward.

I agree. Spooner will never be a 4th line player. He doesn't have that type of skill set. He needs some skill around him and time to make plays and get use to play in the NHL.

I like others want pie - spooner - pevs with caron - soupy - thornton with caron playing a 2011 beginning of season marchand role.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Spooner should be in good hands with Peverley. I also think Caron will be fine on his wing as I'm sure there would be some familiarity there. Whether it's Caron or Paille, you have two guys who are defensively responsible.

This is a big chance for Spooner so I hope he does well!

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Kid deserves a shot. 41 points in 47 games in your rookie season in the AHL is absolutely nothing to laugh about. I have a feeling he'll have a roster spot to lose next year, but I hope he shows what he can do while he's here.

In any scenario, he's better than Pandolfo!

bruinsfan1972

Jul 17, 2010
We can't be a legitimate threat with Caron and Spooner in the top 9 and a depth guy in Pandolfo. I like Spoons, but I hope this is a showcase for the deadline. I don't see Spooner being anymore than a small 3rd line center on this team (almost Sobotka-like) and we have a really good shot a long playoff run this season. I'd like to hope that Iggy is on the radar right now. We need some stability and we don't get that with Spooner and Caron in the lineup.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Pevs played great with krejci and lucic In the finals two years ago. Seguin Horton and Caron where flying as a unit last year in preseason. I think spooner would slot in nice with bergeron and Marchand. Would be great having Bergy mentor him like he has done Marchand and Segs.

Lucic-Krejci-Pevs
Caron-Seguin-Horton
Marchand-Bergeron-Spooner
Merlot

Then if Soderberg comes over he can compete with Caron and Spooner for a top 9 spot. Will be pretty wild having all Soderberg, Spooner, Knight, Caron and Koko competing for spots next off season

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
probably a bit early but he's got a boatload of talent- seen him in the OHL and a bunch this year in the AHL; he's going to be very dynamic player.

I'd say he is easily ahead of Marchand at the same age. Have now and had for past 6 years season tickets in Providence and my peeps all agreed pretty much Spooner is more polished and dynamic than Brad or David at this stage

He still needs some experience and physical maturity, but even since last year he has put on some muscle and if he goes with Knight this summer for training (and why not its in Ottawa where he is from) he should be that much better; he's coming in at about 5'11" so he's got a decent enough height and probably can carry 180 plus easy. He does seem to like the gym (Knight's influence me thinks)

Was talking to one of the Bruins brass about him last week at one of the games and he said it will be interesting to see how he looks in 6 months at Training Camp from now. He's getting his first taste of professional life, living with two teammates, and in another country.

The game in Montreal was important to his development and Tardiff mentioned how well he handled it playing up there as wild as that place can be.

He's a very good skater, and slick moves, so I expect better than Marchand's 1 assist in 20 games, or Krejci's 1 goal in 27; but we need to be patient with this kid he's going to be a real good one- and likely by this time next year is wowing us in Boston even if he's bouncing back and forth

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Not to be a killjoy or anything, but I was looking at Kirk's tweet and it said he was hearing that Spooner would be called up, but has the team even officially announced it yet? If I missed the link I apologize in advance.

IntentionallyWide

The poster formerly known as gobruins14
Sponsor
Aug 9, 2006
So confused when I started reading this thread before I realized it was an old resurrected thread.

Still haven't seen official word of a callup. If Spooner was recalled, would he actually play? Or would Pandolfo get the nod? Would love to see him soon either way.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

If you tell me that Soderberg won't lead us to the promised land, I will start planning the parade.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

yeah because the only prospects who work hard are the ones in the ahl :shakehead

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Yes, because I'm sure Soderberg has not "worked hard" for the last 5-6 years, or this year when he led the SEL in scoring...he just went around cross-checking people all year long :laugh:

That statement doesn't make you sound old school, just like you didn't finish school.

This comment tell us that you probably finished school just two days after me. Whatever make you happy, my friend.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Someone better get Spooner out of bed j/k (maybe) not recalled as of now

Deal Law

I would love to QEF your PFIC
Jan 15, 2006
Bucks County, PA
This comment tell us that you probably finished school just two days after me. Whatever make you happy, my friend.

Sorry to jump right into the fray on this one, but in regard to your "cross-checking/insinuating Soderberg is not hard working" comment, the kid came back from a pretty devastating eye injury for which he lost something like 80-90% of his vision in one eye to become the leading goal scorer, and second leading scorer, in a pretty advanced professional league. I'm pretty sure that feat requires some hard work and that Carl did not simply coast on by.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad