Value of: Ryan Murray to the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Sure ill give you Matthews for Murray + 4 1st. We can play this game too your evaluation is way off and i thought our fans(leafs) over value their players. At most i would do JvR+Kapanen for Murray+2/3 pick. Or you did ask for 1C and Bozak is our 1C currently so i would package him Kapanen for Murray hows that? :popcorn:
Nobody said Murray has to be available. In fact many of us don't think he is.

D3ADLY

Jan 8, 2009
Twitter @AgentDeadly
Nobody said Murray has to be available. In fact many of us don't think he is.

Everyone is available in sports industry. I wasn't offering scraps.. former 2nd pick swap and than some was going your way in return for Murray but some of you guys just went crazy with the 1C for 3D. But i guess we all have our opinions we just don't have to agree with it. If i was trading Matthews someone is getting stripped. But if i am trading Rielly and my team needs scoring and a fair return is perceived i would be open to the trade.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would think the only way Columbus gives up Murray is for a comparable age #1 C that fits their style or an elite winger also around Murray's age ( see Hall/Larsson).

Sounds like you're describing Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Don't think you'd get a Hall for Murray. Not that Larsson should have yielded a Hall either.

As far as the Leafs are concerned, there's too much of a drop between what they'd hold onto and what they'd offer you for Murray. I assume you'd look at the Kadri and JVR's of the world, and then a drop down to the Connor Brown's and maybe even the Kasperi Kapanen's, though that isn't a move Columbus would want to make.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Jackets fans please give us a name at least in who may interest you. JvR+Prospect/pick wont cut it for your guys than who/what will? saying young 1C doesn't tell us much realistically. I really would like to hear names so the conversation can be made.

It's entirely possible that the teams just aren't good trade partners.

Mashed Potatoes

Feb 14, 2015
And Valiev, Nielsen, Loov, and Dermott to fight for the last LHD spot. We're fine

Yes Exactly. I don't see any deal the leaf should do to improve our LHD. Unless we win it by miles and later can flip assets. If any trade should be made right now on the defensive side, it should be for a RHD that compliments the group really well (big, pysically and defensively strong) and has top 2 potential like Seth Jones, Ekblad, maybe Trouba and OF COURSE we don't have the assets for that.

At the trade deadline things could change, but if I were GM. I wouldn't do one fair trade at all up until the deadline, and especially not anyone for a LHD.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Gardiner and Rielly? Top 4 and Top 2? not now, but the focus shouldn't be to get a Ryan Murray whose playing Style is immensily alike Gardiner and Rielly.

Wow, if this is what Leafs fans think (not assuming it), then we have a misunderstanding.

Murray is a guy you want to play when you're up a goal, Rielly when you're down a goal. They're not "immensely alike".

The Leafs don't have a likely top pair shutdown option in the system on either side. They're not in a hurry to get one, I'm just saying the idea that they're all set with "Ryan Murray types" is not well founded.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Wow, if this is what Leafs fans think (not assuming it), then we have a misunderstanding.

Murray is a guy you want to play when you're up a goal, Rielly when you're down a goal. They're not "immensely alike".

The Leafs don't have a likely top pair shutdown option in the system on either side. They're not in a hurry to get one, I'm just saying the idea that they're all set with "Ryan Murray types" is not well founded.

That's true, but we're probably looking to have one of those in the RHD variety unless we change out some LHD personnel. As of right now, we have more holes on the right side and the left side is pretty projectable for the next 5+ years barring major changes

The jury is still out on Zaitsev too, his ceiling would be in the top pair with good advanced stats range and we can afford to wait on him.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Sounds like you're describing Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Don't think you'd get a Hall for Murray. Not that Larsson should have yielded a Hall either.

As far as the Leafs are concerned, there's too much of a drop between what they'd hold onto and what they'd offer you for Murray. I assume you'd look at the Kadri and JVR's of the world, and then a drop down to the Connor Brown's and maybe even the Kasperi Kapanen's, though that isn't a move Columbus would want to make.

Columbus should have no interest in Kadri or JVR. IMHO Kadri is not going to be a #1 and JVR is a good player, he is not an elite wing. The OP asked what it takes to get Murray. I responded a 1 C or an elite winger. No one expects Matthews in return. If the Leafs want Murray, Nylander is your best option. If you aren't interested in offering Nylander or perhaps Marner it's probably a good idea to forget acquiring Murray.

sld8987

Apr 14, 2009
What would Blue Jackets want in return? Would JvR for Murray work? Who is adding here? Do the Jackets have any specific needs? Obviously both clubs need some sort of boost is there any way the 2 teams can help each other fill out holes by swapping players? Suggestions welcome on trades between these teams.
Toronto would have to add. Jvr had hit his pinnacle with philly and they moved the asset. Noone knows how good murray can be if he can stay healthy

Mashed Potatoes

Feb 14, 2015

His playing style is really alike in the sense that his "edge" is his skating ability and he is a great puck mover. His defensive style of playing is also alike that of a Gardiner and a Rielly. Say we aquire Murray for JVR+ picks. How should the future be lined up?

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gardiner- Murray

That is not a great combination in my mind decreasing the value of all of these guys + the guys coming up (loov, dermot etc). Their value will be decreased and there isn't room for any veteran defensemen to sign either.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Jackets fans please give us a name at least in who may interest you. JvR+Prospect/pick wont cut it for your guys than who/what will? saying young 1C doesn't tell us much realistically. I really would like to hear names so the conversation can be made.

Marner or Nylander. That's it. Let's have some conversation.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
His playing style is really alike in the sense that his "edge" is his skating ability and he is a great puck mover. His defensive style of playing is also alike that of a Gardiner and a Rielly.

Well from the Leafs perspective, or any team's perspective, I think the questions are what does he add offensively? What does he add defensively?

Whatever you mean by "Defensive style of play", it's surely irrelevant if one of them has excellent positioning and the other is leaving gaps all over the place.

Wandering Maroon

Sep 11, 2010
Well then there is no reason to trade him. Young top pair blue liners are very hard to get. Ask yourself what does Toronto want for Reilly?

As someone else posted, why not keep them all?

It's because Toronto fans are desperate for a five tool d-man and they want to fleece someone. An overrated, expensive JVR for a young developing d-man? The Larsson-Hall comparison is good. Nylander for Murray?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Seriously what's up with all the LHD to Leafs?

When Matt Hunwick and Roman Polak are on for the last minute to protect a lead, you need all the help you can get. Rielly,Gardiner and Zaitsev are all good players but the Leafs are far from finished when it comes to building this blue line. There's no question that with the ridiculous winger depth throughout the organization, a few will be dealt for D.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
When and if they all turn out and we have 1/2 our forward corps trending towards being elite level players, absolutely I would deal for a top pair RHD.

Yes it does apply to the leafs as well - not sure why you're so sensitive about anyone suggesting that CBJ has a lot of talent in one position

Because usually when someone goes into that kind of spiel it's used to justify why we should be selling such guys for bargain rates - mostly because that justifies why such a guy might be available, but does absolutely nothing for whatever package folks want to offer. Mea culpa if that's not where you were going.

Sure, we could trade Murray. But trading him for, say, Kadri and picks would make us a much worse team, and we're not going to do that. It's not a smart move.

* * *​
Sure ill give you Matthews for Murray + 4 1st. We can play this game too your evaluation is way off and i thought our fans(leafs) over value their players. At most i would do JvR+Kapanen for Murray+2/3 pick. Or you did ask for 1C and Bozak is our 1C currently so i would package him Kapanen for Murray hows that? :popcorn:

Hon, we don't want to trade Murray. That's why we'd ask for someone like Nylander - because that's the only on-paper hole we presently have. (That said, if Wennberg keeps up what he's doing, then maybe even that will go away... of course, it's way, way, way, way too early to pin hopes on that, tho, especially with only four games played.)

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Because usually when someone goes into that kind of spiel it's used to justify why we should be selling such guys for bargain rates - mostly because that justifies why such a guy might be available, but does absolutely nothing for whatever package folks want to offer. Mea culpa if that's not where you were going.

Sure, we could trade Murray. But trading him for, say, Kadri and picks would make us a much worse team, and we're not going to do that. It's not a smart move.

* * *​

Ya thats fair, I don't think Jones value or a Larsson overpayment is out there for Murray unless Edm is still feeling generous and wants to part with Draisatl but I think Murray could fetch a big prospect or a similar age player with a slightly lower ceiling than Johansen

WPG still needs a LHD, they have lots of young forwards who I'm sure would be of interest

Mashed Potatoes

Feb 14, 2015
When Matt Hunwick and Roman Polak are on for the last minute to protect a lead, you need all the help you can get. Rielly,Gardiner and Zaitsev are all good players but the Leafs are far from finished when it comes to building this blue line. There's no question that with the ridiculous winger depth throughout the organization, a few will be dealt for D.

Yeah, I didn't dispute that. Do you think it is good if we would trade for Murray or any LHD right now if it is a fair trade? Why do leafs need all the help they can get when they probably wont contend this year or the next?

Mashed Potatoes

Feb 14, 2015
Well from the Leafs perspective, or any team's perspective, I think the questions are what does he add offensively? What does he add defensively?

Whatever you mean by "Defensive style of play", it's surely irrelevant if one of them has excellent positioning and the other is leaving gaps all over the place.

No the question should be: will he help us contend long 3-4 years from now?

Are we supposed to keep Gardiner, Rielly and Murray on the Left Side?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Right now, there's no impetus to trade Ryan Murray. While his time missed due to injuries is a concern, each injury is itself different (so no recurring issues) and would likely have injured any other player. So really they're more bad luck than anything else.

What he does provide is elite defensive awareness and outlet passing. When combined with Jones, Werenski, and Savard, it's easy to see that those four are something a competitive team can be built around.

So really, the only reason to trade Murray would be to address the single hole the Jackets have. Which is a current #1C. We have plenty of top-6 wingers including 2 30 goal guys (Saad and Jenner) plus Atkinson who comes close. We have 2 2nd line quality centers (Wennberg, Dubinsky). We have 5 top-4 defensemen (Jones, Werenski, Murray, Savard, Johnson). And we have a top goaltender (Bob) with 2 really promising young goalies (Forsberg, Korpisalo).

With the Jackets' current cap situation, they're not in a position to trade current assets for futures. So again it really only makes sense if the trade is Murray + for a #1C or Savard ++ for a #1C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad