Value of: Ryan Murray to the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
If i had 2 better D and needed help scoring i would def. consider it or probably counter with Kadri and Kap if thats what the need is at the time. but to evaluate Murray like Zach and or Jones is kind of absurd. As far as the GM comment go and troll comment from another poster there is only 1 thing to describe that and i will spell it out for you SAWFT.. sorry SOFT. Enjoy Murray let us enjoy our players until a suited trade is available. Thank you.

A lot of leaf posters have reminded me we are not in win now mode so we can afford to stay the course and have a losing season just so players can get experience so again my apologies to Leafnation for thinking otherwise.

Nylander or Marner don't get you either of those guys. Zach would cost you Mathews.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Nylander or Marner don't get you either of those guys. Zach would cost you Mathews.

That may be what it would take to get him away from a team reluctant to trade him, but it's hard to say that Werenski is objectively more valuable than Marner or Nylander - he went later in the same draft than one of them, in the same spot as the other went a year earlier and all 3 have done nothing but improve their stock since draft day. If you averaged out the reputable rankings, Werenski would be the lowest rated of them but they're all close

FWIW, we don't give up any of them for Werenski because we have Rielly

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Viqsi is like a grumpy grandma.

I'm not nearly old enough to be a grandmother (and would probably have to have kids first), but I'll take that as a compliment as regards my perceived maturity level. :D

Everybody here gets cookies! Except D3ADLY, because he's being impolite. :nod: ;)

* * *​
That may be what it would take to get him away from a team reluctant to trade him, but it's hard to say that Werenski is objectively more valuable than Marner or Nylander - he went later in the same draft than one of them, in the same spot as the other went a year earlier and all 3 have done nothing but improve their stock since draft day. If you averaged out the reputable rankings, Werenski would be the lowest rated of them but they're all close

True, but we'd probably still ask for that simply because... well, look at the rookie scoring race and where Werenski is at the moment. ;)

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
True, but we'd probably still ask for that simply because... well, look at the rookie scoring race and where Werenski is at the moment. ;)

I think if you're picking between those 4 prospects, its pretty hard to make a bad choice right now - they've all been absurdly good so far

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
The Leafs D must be really bad, if they're getting upgrades from Columbus.

I'm a leaf fan - Columbus' D situation is extremely enviable and should be an elite group in the near future - Werenski and Jones are both looking like they could contend for Norris trophies in their careers, Murray is a top pair guy on a lot of teams and is at least a very good #3 at 22 years old, Savard is just all around solid with size then throw Jack Johnson in for good measure

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yes, I know Columbus has some good potential young Dmen. I just don't consider Murray of those guys, although he would be welcome on most teams. Just don't think he a real difference maker.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
What are you talking about? Columbus has three of the best young defenders in the league. The only team that comes close to Columbus's blue line potential is Philly.

I wouldn't shake a stick at Carolina either, or Anaheim. Those D are a bit more established and older on average, but not much older than Columbus or Philly D.

If you averaged out the reputable rankings, Werenski would be the lowest rated of them but they're all close

I could be wrong but I suspect after Matthews the other three could be in any order (at this point). I'm familiar with the lists from pre-season but I don't think that holds for long. And I'm fully aware that all four have elevated their stocks tremendously.

I don't think there's any fungibility between those two. Werenski tracks as an all-aspects D, Rielly as an offensive D, at least in the sense that you're team is much better off if you have someone else who can handle shutdown duty.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I could be wrong but I suspect after Matthews the other three could be in any order (at this point). I'm familiar with the lists from pre-season but I don't think that holds for long. And I'm fully aware that all four have elevated their stocks tremendously.

Ya I acknowledged that Marner, Nylander and Werenski are close in the rankings, but I think that if you're looking to draw any objective evidence of their order by using rankings from reputable sources that Werenski will average out as the lowest ranked, they certainly all tier together

The post I was responding to with that said that CBJ only trades Werenski for Matthews, and they don't do it for the other two. The language in that post was emphatic enough to make me think that the poster believed Werenski>Marner/Nylander which I don't believe is true in the eyes of neutral, reputable sources - hence the citation of third party rankings

Understandable if what was meant by that post was that Matthews would be the price to "pry" Werenski out of Columbus

I don't think there's any fungibility between those two. Werenski tracks as an all-aspects D, Rielly as an offensive D, at least in the sense that you're team is much better off if you have someone else who can handle shutdown duty.

There's definitely some cannibalization of minutes that would occur by having both on the roster - for example, who plays the right point on your first unit pp?

I'm not saying that I wouldn't happily have Werenski, I just wouldn't trade any of our big 3 prospects who don't compete so much for minutes as forwards

D3ADLY

Jan 8, 2009
Twitter @AgentDeadly
I'm not nearly old enough to be a grandmother (and would probably have to have kids first), but I'll take that as a compliment as regards my perceived maturity level. :D

Everybody here gets cookies! Except D3ADLY, because he's being impolite. :nod: ;)

It's about time you lightened up i am sure we will cross paths again where we both can agree to dis... just kidding. btw nothing wrong with being a grandma just those grumpy ones scare me lol...:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad